• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Talking to myself

Ovrthkr817

I'm not sure if anyone else does this, but I talk to myself a lot. If I'm around people, I talk to myself in my head, my mouth is closed, but my tongue is still moving. If no one is around me, but I'm in a public place, I just talk quietly under my breath.

When I'm completely alone, home alone, and there is literally no one else around, and I don't have to worry about anyone popping up from around the corner, without even realizing it, I'm practically carrying full conversations with myself (not literally, but I talk out loud because I don't have to worry about anyone hearing me). It is honestly, the most liberating feeling to me. I don't do it often, because I'm rarely ever alone, but the few times that I am; like I said, very liberating.
That is all. [emoji4]

Yup I have done it. People have caught me & made jokes that I'm crackers . I don't do it anymore.. I read somewhere it could be a form of escape .

I'm not sure if anyone else does this, but I talk to myself a lot. If I'm around people, I talk to myself in my head, my mouth is closed, but my tongue is still moving. If no one is around me, but I'm in a public place, I just talk quietly under my breath.
Yup I have done it..
[emoji4]

Subvocalize, sure.
Not just my tongue, but back of my throat moves.
And talk out loud, sometimes.
Otherwise I would forget what I am doing.

Since I read about 'boundary events' I feel not bad about forgetting
why I get up, go to another room, and have no idea why I got up
and went to the other room.

LOL
I never thought it was uncommon.*

Sometimes it is to myself.
Sometimes it is me saying what I want to say to someone else.

I don't, as some people I know do, yell
negative things to myself about myself,though.

If I am talking and there is no one around it is because I need to
remember what I am doing, or how to get somewhere, or
practicing/rehearsing what I will/might say to another person,
or maybe I am reviewing what was said some other time.

*Partly because it's hard for me to imagine people
being not like me. And partly because I know several
self-talkers.

Yep, freedom when on my own, which, hehe am a lot, due to hubby working. In public, in my head, but anyone peering inside my brain (mmmm rather messy) lol they would find a ton of conversations going on.

I do it all the time. Sometimes my wife will walk in the room and just look at me funny but she just goes on her way and realizes that is just what I do. Get the thoughts out of my head instead of sitting and dwelling on them.

I do this all the time! Sometimes it feels as if I must talk out loud to sort of make a vent for all the ideas churning inside my head.

I've been down the line either agreeing or liking every post. I really can't make any comments other than what has already been said, but on this subject I felt I needed to say something. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone.:)

I'll think out loud sometimes,I use to do it unintentionally at school and I guess that's another reason why the kids thought I was weird,but yeah I like to vocalise my thoughts sometimes.

New Threads

Top Bottom