• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Symptoms

Ken

V.I.P Member
I self-diagnosed in 2019 after watching a video of Greta Thunberg and then learning she was autistic. I was astonished and could not believe it. I thought autism was "Rainman". She was nothing like Rainman. That puzzlement prompted me to research autism. The more I learned, the more I started realizing I was autistic. With that, I started a symptom list. I have been adding to it since then, and I do not consider it complete, by any means, but I thought I would share what I have so far. Most of my symptoms are discovered to be symptoms upon discovering that other people are not like that.
So, here is my list:

1. Unable to hear music and comprehend lyrics at the same time.

2. Unable to read ahead while reading aloud. Can read aloud but only real-time word for word.

3. Unable to read faster than speaking even if reading to myself.

4. Unable to understand two or more people talking at once. Sounds like a foreign language.

5. Unable to follow or understand someone speaking fast. Sounds like a foreign language.

6. Unable to listen and take notes at the same time – unable to write and listen at the same time.

7. Unable to converse with someone and work at the same time.

8. Unable to multitask.

9. Unable to compete. Extremely noncompetitive. Strongly avoids competitive games, sports, etc. Any feeling of “competition” is stifling.

10. Unable to be in charge of another person or persons.

11. Was slow learning to talk.

12. In school band class: Unable to learn music note letter names but learned note symbols to physical instrument just fine. Was first chair clarinet in school band class. Had to drop out when band director was changed and required that I know the note letters.

13. Very slow to learn physical coordination to where it is automatic, such as walking. Too slow to learn team sports for same reason.

14. Interest in things are obsessive. interest list: electronic circuit design, steam engines, T1D control, health/nutrition, Astronomy/physics

15. Seeing myself in a recorded video; my mannerisms appear confused, clunky and “dorky” - Mr. Bean like but without the happy element, but that is not my internal perception. Seeing myself walking by a store mirror has the same perception difference. It is always a disappointing surprise.

16. Fear of being left alone with a guest or host. Very awkward, scary and unsettling.

17. My facial expressions, body language and mannerisms do not inherently portray my actual feelings. It’s not automatic. I can manually make faces, but it seems I rarely get it right.

18. At work, my boss would often come into my room then ask me what is wrong. I never knew what he was talking about or why he asked me that. Now I realize it is because the expression on my face was incorrect, which I was oblivious to.

19. I often inflict anger in others when conversing, but the anger is always a profound mystery to me. Have found that my tone of voice is not automatic, requiring a separate conscious effort.

20. I am often accused of being negative while I think and feel like I’m being positive. Very confusing.

21. Often inflicts anger in others with my tendency to analyze everything. They assume the “analyzing” is derogatory.

22. Difficulty understanding “social logic”.

23. Unable to be in charge of or to be a leader of other people.

24. I never jump for joy. When a sudden happy event occurs instilling great happiness, I am most often physically expressionless.

25. I never scream from fear or being startled. I usually “lock-up” unable to make a sound or make a move.

26. Unable to look at a car, truck or vehicle without counting the lug nuts on its wheels. But I never count stair steps, etc.

27. Easy to visualize the playout from a set of circumstances.

28. Strong spatial imagination.

29. Find illogical presentations to be very upsetting.

30. Scared of children – even when I was a child.

31. Unable to handle non-linear, disruptive or chaotic activities. My mind works serially processing everything like train cars moving on a track. Disruption “derails” my mind and I have to mentally restart from the beginning in order to proceed.

32. I find “small talk”; conversation with fragmented or incomplete sentences and/or abrupt subject changes to be jarring, like tripping on a rock or pothole. I consider “small talk” to be spastic conversation.

33. Fear of direct eye contact. When speaking to someone up close, I focus on their mouth, never eyes.

34. Being watched while working is extremely unnerving and inhibiting; sometimes overwhelming. The feeling of eyes on me are like being smothered by a lead blanket. Extremely stifling.

35. Fear of being noticed. Fear / inability to strike up a conversation with a stranger. Fear of having to respond.

36. Excess or too fast input makes me “lock-up” (my term) - “meltdown”, I suppose, is standard autism term. On the edge of a lock-up my speech is severely inhibited. The best I can do is slow single-word-at-a-time broken English.

37. Profound country music phobia / PTSD – anything to do with cowboys or that way of life. As a child, all of my best friends were farm animals (plus many wild animals). They accepted and understood me and sought my company. Severely traumatized by their slaughter. The trauma/PTSD has never subsided.

38. Mouth noises such as eating with mouth open, lip smacking including kissing are very disturbing to me. Overwhelmingly gross.

39. I traumatize emotionally easily.

40. Very deep feelings. Easy to cry.

41. Things that most people find disturbing traumatizes me. Disturbing things that most people take days to get over, I never get over.

42. Am sometimes traumatized by disturbing things on TV, movies, media, etc.

43. Am irritated by illogical or inconsistent/disconnected logic content, in movies, etc. – even in comedies.

44. I long for reliable alone time.

45. Unable to accept or comprehend “grey area.” I see everything as absolute as mathematics & physics. I see “Grey area” as a condition of reduced mental / observational resolution. Assuming gambling to be an exercise in grey area. In reality, gambling is an exercise in ignorance – hoping for a positive outcome from an unknown. However, the outcome is absolutely calculatable. In my view, there is no such thing as “grey area.” Everything is an absolute.

46. Great difficulty in school. Difficult to comprehend teacher presentations and teaching methods.

47. School “diagnosed” me as retarded.

48. Most of my education was self-taught after school.

49. My most successful subject in school was physics, which required extensive pleading with the counselor to allow me to take the class. He said I had no chance of passing physics (due to my “retarded” diagnosis). It turned out to be my highest grade of all high school subjects.

50. I was the most unpopular kid in school. I thought it was my looks. Now I realize it was my mannerisms.

51. Was voted the dumbest kid in school. The vote was conducted by Mr. Dick’s, history class.

52. Bullying in school was almost exclusively by teachers.

53. May or may not be related, but I have a hearing defect that is neurological. No physical defects in my inner ear; the issue is in the brain. (Except for damage subsequently inflicted by inappropriate hearing aids.)

54. TV news with constantly moving background graphics are extremely distracting and disturbing to me. I can’t stand it. Can’t handle Facebook for the same reason.

55. I have periods of feeling deep tragedy without a source or subject. The onset is abrupt, like a startle and lasts for days or months.

56. Meeting new people, or any situation where I feel that I’m being scrutinized or looked at inflicts very high anxiety. Situations include medical tests, speaking to a group of people, even if just a few words.

57. Accused of taking things too literal.

58. Unable to specifically define anxiety.

59. Very low self-esteem, very low feeling of self-worth.

60. Frequent depression – suicidality.

61. Unable to “tune-out” disturbing or annoying visuals, sounds, thoughts, etc. Typically, such disturbances build instead of subsiding with continued experience.

62. Simultaneous sensory inputs are not processed independently. Two people talking at the same time are intermingled instead of perceiving two independent people talking. Example: one person says, “Mary had a little lamb.” Another other person says, “Jack and Jill went up the hill.” I hear, “Mary Jack and had Jill a went little up lamb the hill.” This is even if the two people are a good distance apart. Same issue with other simultaneous sounds or distractions.

63. When spoken words overlap, the letters of the words intermingle resulting in gibberish sounding like a foreign language.

64. Unable to perform tasks out of sequence. Have to mentally sequence any task before beginning the task. Interruptions during a task “derails me” making me have to pause and replay the sequence in my mind to get back to the interrupted step before I can continue. Makes me look retarded or lazy to others.

65. Seeing things out of order distresses me.

66. I have Visual Snow Syndrome which is linked to autism: Visual Snow Syndrome - NORD (National Organization for Rare Disorders)

67. High anxiety in waiting rooms due to other people being in there or the likelihood of people coming in there makes me more comfortable standing instead of sitting. That’s even with the anxiety of being more noticeable standing.

68. My blood pressure is always very high when taken by another person; doctor, dentist or any such professional. It is usually between 140/60 to 150/60. My normal blood pressure is 108/60. This is due to the anxiety of being scrutinized.

Last edited:
Although it's a list of symptoms, there is so much in it about your life. It's ridiculous they called you retarded. The school sounds barbaric. So glad you have worked so much out, and that you are here, with others who are similar.

Ken, I relate to your list in many ways.

The reason I am here is that one day I had an ephany; what if the trauma I experienced in life, that led to my cptsd, was because what others found ordinary, I simply did not understand in the same way?

Anyway, one thing I do when I am feeling particularly raw is to imagine a cozy pod bed. Mine is often futuristic and includes lots of little cubbies and drawers (because I like them). Sometimes I imagine a medieval cupboard bed (again with more cubbies and drawers). Just the act of imagining this personal space usually calms me. Perhaps this method will work for you too?

Thank you for sharing your list.

P.s. My cousins were rednecks with the manners of cavemen and no respect for others. I can well imagine the hell your rural kin made for you.

II thought autism was "Rainman".

Blame Hollywood for that one. :rolleyes:

The person screenwriter Barry Morrow modeled for his fictional character Raymond Babbitt, was savant Kim Peeks who was not autistic, but had a cerebral condition known as macrocephaly. Made worse by method actor Dustin Hoffman who made a point of meeting and intensely studying Kim Peeks.

Conversely I found other portrayals of autistic persons quite good, such as Sigourney Weaver in "Snowcake", and Josh Hartnett and Radha Mitchell in "Mozart and the Whale".

As for Ben Affleck in "The Accountant", I'm still mulling that one over. o_O

Last edited:
A concise list, good to see it; a lot of the issues being difficulties for which I share & have no answers.
Alone time is a balm.

A lot of positive qualities are expressed in the fact that you've made this massive list of detailed observations.

I had "symptoms" of aspergers, but in now way autistic and when I read about a monontoned voice etc, I thought: ah, well, can't be me, because I am very expressive, then, obsession got a hold of me, because, despite the sense of: no, I can't be, there was a niggling sense of: could I be? So, went on a search and was so surprised to find that many who are on the spectrum, have a wide range of "symptoms" and finally and surprisingly, I was formally diagnosed a few year's ago with grade two to three.

I think of it as someone who is neurotypical. They are not replicas of each other and the same applies to us aspies. In fact, a wonderful saying, I discovered on here is: meet one aspie - meet one aspie ( I think that is not how I remember it, but still means the same.

It is easier to detect in males than us females, because we are better at adapting to situations than our male counterparts.

My husband is neurotypical and cannot listen to music and the words at the same time. Whereas I can and as soon a few bars of a song is played, I can tell what the song title is.

I agree so much with several talking at the same time, is like listening to an unknown language. Terribly confusing.

I had "symptoms" of aspergers, but in now way autistic and when I read about a monontoned voice etc, I thought: ah, well, can't be me, because I am very expressive, then, obsession got a hold of me, because, despite the sense of: no, I can't be, there was a niggling sense of: could I be? So, went on a search and was so surprised to find that many who are on the spectrum, have a wide range of "symptoms" and finally and surprisingly, I was formally diagnosed a few year's ago with grade two to three.

I think of it as someone who is neurotypical. They are not replicas of each other and the same applies to us aspies. In fact, a wonderful saying, I discovered on here is: meet one aspie - meet one aspie ( I think that is not how I remember it, but still means the same.

It is easier to detect in males than us females, because we are better at adapting to situations than our male counterparts.

My husband is neurotypical and cannot listen to music and the words at the same time. Whereas I can and as soon a few bars of a song is played, I can tell what the song title is.

I agree so much with several talking at the same time, is like listening to an unknown language. Terribly confusing.

You just reminded me, I can't hear two people talk at once either. For me though ut sounds like the adults on Peanuts cartoons. "Wa wa wa wa"

Making this list has been an journey of discovery. I suppose one of the greatest discoveries was that self reference is invalid (Also true in the art of electronic circuits). That means I never knew most of my symptoms until I started using other people as a reference. So many of things I thought I was good at, I am almost completely incapable of. I thought I was good at multitasking, but found that I can't do it at all. I thought I was a good leader, but found I cannot not do it at all. I thought I carried myself well until discovering department store mirrors. Etc. Etc. Etc...

By the way, I just added two more to the list: #67, #68. The list is still a work in progress!

Thanks to everyone for all the positive comments.

Ken, I relate to your list in many ways.

The reason I am here is that one day I had an ephany; what if the trauma I experienced in life, that led to my cptsd, was because what others found ordinary, I simply did not understand in the same way?

Anyway, one thing I do when I am feeling particularly raw is to imagine a cozy pod bed. Mine is often futuristic and includes lots of little cubbies and drawers (because I like them). Sometimes I imagine a medieval cupboard bed (again with more cubbies and drawers). Just the act of imagining this personal space usually calms me. Perhaps this method will work for you too?

Thank you for sharing your list.

P.s. My cousins were rednecks with the manners of cavemen and no respect for others. I can well imagine the hell your rural kin made for you.

Indeed, I am very drawn to medieval and victorian style architectures. I am also drawn to steampunk art.
I think your medieval cupboard imaging would be quite comforting.

19. I often inflict anger in others when conversing, but the anger is always a profound mystery to me. Have found that my tone of voice is not automatic, requiring a separate conscious effort.

I relate to this.

Made worse by method actor Dustin Hoffman who made a point of meeting and intensely studying Kim Peeks.

I am curious about your thinking. Are you saying that
1. Hoffman is not a good actor?
2. Method acting is a poor choice of technique?
3. Intensely studying Kim Peeks is the problem?

Suzanne is correct. But gender is a huge cohort, subject to extreme cultural bias and systemic beliefs of worth. Females are far more controlled than males from the moment of birth and have lesser value. Females are expected to be quiet. Males are allowed more authenticity (boys will be boys). All of this is confounding to NT educators who simply target disruptive students while quiet ones get passed on regardless of gender.

Rainman is a great movie. The audiences are the problem. They don't understand that it is representing only one person with autism (ASD-3 with a savant trait?) and not the entire spectrum. Big Bang theory is also a good show but Sheldon Cooper only represents one kind of autism (If I were to subdivide the ASD spectrum I'd say ASD-1.5 with a savant trait?). Actually, it is modified to be "cute" autism because they want the character to be lovable - and it is a sitcom after all.

If you watch closely, most of the main characters exhibit some autistic traits. Most are savants in their fields with terrible social skills. Amy was every bit as obvious as Sheldon when she was introduced but they softened her symptoms as the show went on. Stuart is another very probable ASD candidate who is NOT a savant but has a special interest in comic books.

Since females may display ASD differently than males, Penny's behavior would fit in with many "attractive" young females on the spectrum. She has a strong "tomboy" aspect to her and is lacking in social sophistication. Not a savant in anything, she learned that she could use her looks and lots of alcohol to gain acceptance. It is my opinion that the reason she fell for Leonard is that they are both borderline autistic. Maybe ASD-0.9?

My wife, who knows I have Asperger's, (ASD 1+/-) says I am a Leonard and not a Sheldon. (I think of myself as a Leonard who failed to launch.)

It is completely futile to be angry that a TV show or movie didn't display the side of autism that you're familiar with or didn't explore it in depth. All movies/TV shows are designed to pluck the emotional strings of NTs. That's how you make money. If you want to truly educate, you need to do a documentary. Maybe PBS or Discovery Channel would take it.

In an interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson, Mayim Bialik (who plays Amy Farah Fowler) said that the show's producer didn't want to apply the label to any of the cast members because they wanted people to just accept the characters as they are without the label getting in the way. I suspect they also realized the immense blowback they'd receive if they actually included a diagnosis or made it too realistic. There'd be heck to pay.

I am curious about your thinking. Are you saying that
1. Hoffman is not a good actor?
2. Method acting is a poor choice of technique?
3. Intensely studying Kim Peeks is the problem?

1. Hoffman is an excellent actor. However in this instance he took the wrong cue, studying Kim Peeks who was not autistic. Though he probably was just doing what he was told relative to the producers.

2. Method acting remains controversial at the highest levels of acting. Yet some of the greatest actors in the business are in fact method actors. I'll leave that to the top actors to continue arguing.

Though at times I've found it quite amusing to hear classically-trained actors diss method acting altogether. Perhaps the most well known case was Sir Laurence Olivier who suggested to Dustin Hoffman in the film "Marathon Man" that rather than physically wear himself out for one scene, that he simply should just "act".

3. Yes. The production should have done their homework if their intent was to portray an autistic savant.

However that said, it's no secret that Hollywood can be brazen about getting things wrong just to get their film right often from their own myopic perception. Much like tv writer Chuck Lorre's being coy about explaining his character Sheldon Cooper in any real neurological detail. Deliberately side-stepping potential controversy in primarily looking for laughs about such characters in a comedy rather than to enlighten the public of neurodiversity.

Last edited:
@Judge I am so delighted when someone responds conversationally. I get so much from autismforums but sometimes a thread is just a list of individual thoughts. I really value when our thoughts interact ;)

I assumed some of the actors in Atypical do have diagnoses and just looked it up.

"Following criticism from the autism community after season one of “Atypical” featured only one actually autistic actor, Anthony Jacques, creator Robia Rashid introduced a peer support group for Sam in season two, which included eight actors on the spectrum who study at the Miracle Project, a Los Angeles-based film"

New Threads

Top Bottom