• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Symptom of the day

Raggamuffin

V.I.P Member
Anxiety and depression are quite common on the spectrum. With enough mental stressors, your body can follow suit and this might eventually lead to and aches and pains. So, with that in mind - what ails you today?

For me, it's TMJ - a recurring issue with jaw inflammation and pain. A condition that can be provoked by anxiety and depression. Thankfully for me, it usually only lasts a day or so. I felt it starting yesterday throughout the day and by the evening it was flaring up more.

This morning I woke up and it feels like I've been punched in the side of the head. Certain movements cause an excruciating zap of pain, and when not even using my jaw - it's sore and tight. I also can't open my jaw very wide. Breakfast is going to be a real treat.

Ah, the wonders of long term depression.

Ed

Last edited:
Heartburn, but managable.

I take natural meds that help out immensily with cramps and bloating. I also exercise in the morning and in the evening, which are so beneficial for the body.

Hate being ill.

I take natural meds that help out immensily

What do you use? Is your diet good? I find exercise can help my mood a bit. Pains today are intolerable though. Anti-inflammatories barely took the edge of the TMJ today.

Eating is horrific. I think I'm just going to eat bananas and berries. Maybe get some soup for dinner.

Ed

What do you use? Is your diet good? I find exercise can help my mood a bit. Pains today are intolerable though. Anti-inflammatories barely took the edge of the TMJ today.

Eating is horrific. I think I'm just going to eat bananas and berries. Maybe get some soup for dinner.

Ed
Have cherries they apparently have an anti-inflammatory effect on the heart.

Back pain! :eek:
TENS machine they are really cheap now !,when I was first given one they were about £200, they give you a very very mild electric shock, which when you have back pain you can barely perceive , you control how much stimulation and they don't cause constipation.

Anxiety and depression are quite common on the spectrum. With enough mental stressors, your body can follow suit and this might eventually lead to and aches and pains. So, with that in mind - what ails you today?

For me, it's TMJ - a recurring issue with jaw inflammation and pain. A condition that can be provoked by anxiety and depression. Thankfully for me, it usually only lasts a day or so. I felt it starting yesterday throughout the day and by the evening it was flaring up more.

This morning I woke up and it feels like I've been punched in the side of the head. Certain movements cause an excruciating zap of pain, and when not even using my jaw - it's sore and tight. I also can't open my jaw very wide. Breakfast is going to be a real treat.

Ah, the wonders of long term depression.

Ed
Do you have a heat pad or hot water bottle keep the muscles warm.

I have a heatpad I can use at home. I know a change in diet would help with inflammation. Right now I'm drinking lots of water. I did a 20 min walk and 35 mins staffing on my lunch break just now. Exercise and fresh air in the rain was good. I really went hell for leather with the staffing too - got my heart racing.

Feel a bit better after taking an ibuprofen and exercising. Took the edge off. Eating lunch isn't as painful. I'm just finding the right technique to chewing and taking my time so it doesn't cause these shocking pains.

Still - it's a learning curve. No matter what the ache, pain or duration; I always adapt and get on with it.

When I get home I'm going to get some bananas and mixed berries and some other stuff. I'm going to go back to making super healthy smoothies. It's usually a mix of a handful of fruit, 2 handful of greens and a small handful of seeds and oats. It's not very filling - but it literally gets me buzzing from all the nutrition in them.

Ed

I have TMJ too! I hate it. I have to not overwork my jaws to preserve them or itll start popping in pain.

My heartburn is really responsive to stress and painful stinging intestine gas and aches that feel like tightened/hard stomach after intense stress and talks.

Yeah that popping catches me off guard so many times. I'll be fine and then I'll yawn, or take a big bite out of my food and - ping.

Peppermint tea is nice for acidic and burning related stuff. Or just lots of water.

If stress or depression is really bad for me, then I have a horrid stomach. It can last weeks. But, I pestered the Dr's for years in the early days of anxiety - so I wound up knowing the "normal" symptoms and the one's which would be cause for concern.

In all honesty, my stress related stomach pains feel similar to when I used to drink day after day. That feeling of gut rot. Burning sensations, dragging pains and lots of gurgling and bubbling. Not at all pleasant.

Ed

Ed

I eat normally. The only thing that I have given up on really is chocolate!

I take super enzymes that I get from a site called: iherb. I also take probotics and vitamin D and ox bile, because of not having a gallbladder and do not suffer from bloating because of those things.

I enjoy food, but there are some foods that make me feel sick and those are with strong colours, so I keep away from them.

@Raggamuffin
A dentist or orthodontist could fit you with a night time
mouth guard. I am not suggesting a generic sports mouth
piece that can be purchased OTC.

I dislocated my jaw, in my sleep, and it stayed that
way for six months. My dentist fitted me with a night time
guard which I had to wear 24/7....Then one day the jaw
slipped back into place.

After that I went to an orthodontist and got a special retainer.
https://www.ashburnpediatricdentalcenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Bite-Plate-Retainer.pdf
Chewing food otherwise would be impossible.

I've spoken with several dentists about mouth guards and they weren't willing to provide me with one. Apparently there's some controversy in the dental world about the possible harm they can cause.

Ed

I've spoken with several dentists about mouth guards and they weren't willing to provide me with one. Apparently there's some controversy in the dental world about the possible harm they can cause.

Ed

I believe that.
The mouth guard was a 'first step' and it didn't work.

The retainer makes it possible for me to eat.
Chewing surfaces don't meet otherwise.

Ed
Have you been evaluated for Trigeminal Neuralgia? The zaps are something you shuold be evaluted for. TN is terrible and if you have it, you need to know. There are things that can help, but for everyone its different.

Reading about TN - it doesn't sound like what I have. When I spoke with dentists and GP's about what I experienced they diagnosed it as TMJ.

Ed

New Threads

Top Bottom