• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Survival horror games.

In my mind, I think explosives should be a huge no-no in survival horror games, unless said weapon had an extremely low amount of ammo strewn across the map and is intended to be used in only one specific scenario. Same goes for flame throwers and any other area-of-effect weapons. They're just too powerful. Shotguns will be fine if they don't have a 100% chance to one-shot if all the pellets hit. Maybe 10 damage per pellet, totaling out to 80 damage. It can still one-shot headshot a 100HP monster, but chest shots don't do as much damage as they would in a freaking multiplayer PVP first person shooter.

For automatic weapons, they would only really be practical in survival horror games like DayZ, where other players are a bigger threat than the zombies, and even more predictable. It would also only make sense for automatic firearms to be existent if the area has widespread access to them. For example, the average United States residential area probably would have way more semi-auto and manually-operated weapons than full-auto weapons because full-auto firearms are extremely regulated when it comes to civilian sales. However, if the area was near a military base, or if it was possible to convert a semi-auto weapon into fully automatic, then maybe it'll make sense.

For guns in survival horror, you have to make absolutely sure that they are still more effective than a knife, but don't turn the game into Doom, but with zombies.

Eh, I wouldnt know anything about that.

Generally, the moment you add guns or whatever to a horror game, I lose all interest. If I'm able to shoot or chop my way through the [whatever] then I'm not going to be finding it particularly spooky and will soon get bored. It's why I dont like Resident Evil and that sort. I mean, for me playing one of those is like, okay, here's a bunch of zombies or whatever and blood and blah blah, but see I've got a gun or, I dunno, a hammer, so I'm just going to turn them into paste sooner or later anyway, so why are they even bothering to try to be scary? Just charge at me already and lets get to the part where I smash things.

As it is, not even one of the games I listed as ones I liked have any weapons in them at all. That's part of what makes them good.

Eh, I wouldnt know anything about that.

Generally, the moment you add guns or whatever to a horror game, I lose all interest. If I'm able to shoot or chop my way through the [whatever] then I'm not going to be finding it particularly spooky and will soon get bored. It's why I dont like Resident Evil and that sort. I mean, for me playing one of those is like, okay, here's a bunch of zombies or whatever and blood and blah blah, but see I've got a gun or, I dunno, a hammer, so I'm just going to turn them into paste sooner or later anyway, so why are they even bothering to try to be scary? Just charge at me already and lets get to the part where I smash things.

As it is, not even one of the games I listed as ones I liked have any weapons in them at all. That's part of what makes them good.
I feel the Silent Hill series is good at avoiding this problem. Yeah you have guns, but you only very few shots. It's generally advisable to attack enemies only to stun them/make them move out of the way instead of killing them because killing them gives you virtually nothing but less ammo. You don't get any hardcore super strong weapons until New Game + generally.

I feel the strategic struggle of choosing to save ammo against an incoming enemy or choosing to make a desperate escape that might not even work is what makes the games scary.

Here's some recommendations...

The Evil Within
Days Gone
The Last of Us
Galerians
Silent Hill 2
Resident Evil 2
Nocturne
D
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Curse: The Eye of Isis
Clock Tower
Dino Crisis
Obscure
Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare

Survival horror games are what I like to call E P I C ! They're pretty damn immersive and have good aesthetics and a great sense of atmosphere. 2 days ago I beat the masterpiece PS2 survival horror game Haunting Ground (I got Ending A). I also love Silent Hill 2 and the indie PC classic Ib. I really love Ib. Does anyone else like playing these types of games?
I played The Evil Within and eventually grew to like it. I've beaten it several times but the first play through was rough. I was used to playing Halo and when I finally got a weapon it was a revolver with three bullets in it. I was like whats up? That wouldn't even be combat effective in Halo.

I quickly learned that survival horror is nothing like a military shooter. Evil Within has lots of playability issues. Boss monsters that are bullet sponges with instant killing attacks. Context sensitivity that is often garbage--i find myself stomping when I want to light a match or grabbing a bottle off a ledge when I meant to climb up and escape a water monster. A game environment that is constantly lethal and often very unfair to the player. It's mostly structured like a shooter but you don't have enough ammo to play that way on your first playthrough. After that it plays much less like survival horror and much more like a zombie shooter. It was frustrating at times but I kept playing because I liked the way it looked and felt. Like the Matrix had been designed by the guy from the Saw movies.

I am a huge fan of The Evil Within 1 & 2.

Also, even though these are not "survival" horror games, Playdead's Limbo and Inside were among the most compelling horror games I have played in the last decade.

I finally managed to kill level ten Laura in Evil Within 1. I pinned her in place with a maxed out shock bolt and then put a whole clip of maxed out magnum bullets through her. Took every one to kill her, all head shots.

I like horror/survival games, when I was younger I played Silent Hill on PS1; as I didn't had any PS2, PS3 nor PS4 nor xbox after that, and when I finally bought a nice pc, I played Dead Space (all of them), Outlast 1 and 2. Maybe not so on the horror category but all the Bioshock games, too.

In PS1 I also remember Alone in the dark but I never played it much because I hate the camera they used; Soul Reaver: Legacy of Keane.

Do the Amnesia games count as survival horror or is that more of a walking sim? I suck with genres for games.

Obscure
Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare

Aw yea

I came here to mention ObsCure as well since it's rather... obscure! I think they were both out on PS2 at the time, but I picked them up on steam a few years back for like a dollar apiece and definitely didn't regret it.

AITD 4 brings back so many memories for me; that game was creepy as hell when it first came out. Being the first accessible one in the series with normal puzzles and semi-decent mechanics, this is another great one to play for anyone who likes the Resident Evil games. I think the version on PC had a better engine than the one on PSX, but thanks to the steam & GOG versions being broken on windows 10, some of us may never know!

Well, I am hoping that the rumoured Silent Hill reboot will be at the Game Awards, which is set to happen on 10 December.

Somebody started a rumour on Twitter about it recently, and this was following all the hearsay that Dusk Golem started earlier this year. Unfortunately, that did not amount to anything more than speculation, even if a lot of websites such as Game Rant did cover it, heavily. But he later decided to retire as an insider around when Tokyo Game Show occurred.

The franchise has been dead since 2012 or 2015, depending on your personal take. But P.T. was just a demo. Personally, I don't want to count a demo for a cancelled game, and an overrated one at that. So to me, there has been no new game since 2012, and that's sad!

Not a horror game per second, but there is an Amiga game called Germ Crazy. It is a "medical strategy wargame" in which you are a micro surgeon treating a patient who is sick with a super-evolved form of the common cold which has become powerful enough to physically eat the flesh of the person afflicted, so much so until they are nothing but a skeleton.

It leaves no stone unturned in the amount of details that go into caring for the patient's (apparently his name is Robert) body. The main game is "full body mode" where you are not just defending a limb, you are also defending his whole body including organs, which, when an organ is killed, it stops doing what it's supposed to do, and the game responds as such, i.e. if you lose the stomach and intestines, then eating and taking pills will have no effect at all and you only have 48 in game hours before you die, and if you lose the liver it takes longer for pills to work, if you lose the heart it's just instant game over.

You buy antibodies (the game manual calls them "agents") and inject them into Robert's body, and fighting plays out like a strategy game except you can't give commands to units, they act entirely on A.I. and the game manual is so expansive in the literally thousands(!) Of ways to play the game that it just straight up gives you strategies tested by the developers, like taking Agents that rarely move and using them as walls against the bacteria units.

You have to feed Robert regularly, but when you do you have to choose a specific diet, because certain foods generate agents that will bolster your own, but others give useless ones that take up space (read: they are supposed to be fat, empty carbs, calories etc.) And you have to wait for those to die and deshawn.

You can also take drastic measures like selling organs you don't need to the black market (I am not making that up, it is in the manual and in the novella that tells the story of the game), and if sh*t really hits the fan on one side of the body you can amputate a limb that's really getting the business and sell it the same way, you have the option of giving Robert a replacement robot limb but it really does nothing.

Where the horror aspect comes in is what happens when you forget about Robert for too long; not when he actually dies/becomes a skeleton, but when he's in the process of doing so; you can walk away after setting up a whole zerg rush of Vitamin B12 units and Calcium walls thinking you paused the game to go to the bathroom, and come back to see that Robert's entire left side of his body is nothing but skeleton, his jaw is completely missing and his vital readings basically amount to saying he's so burped out of his mind that he forgot how to speak English, or that English is a language, because the cold will have creeped into his brain.

The very first time I played this in an emulator with my little sister, we had accidentally set the clock speed to "fast" and within merely thirty seconds of zooming into Robert's hand which was flashing red on the medical scanner (it means the virus started attacking there) we zoomed out to see his hand had turned green, and the computer headphones I was wearing, despite being at like 40% volume, nearly made me deaf when the game SCREAMED ITS HEAD OFF with a digital voice sample, it was supposed to be Robert in severe pain from having it happen.

I haven't been able to touch the game since. It's the kind of scary that it's not trying to be scary at all, but the way it does things and how little of a transition between those events there is makes it that way.

Now I dont want to get sick.

Hopefully, all of these Silent Hill rumours amount to something special, since fans like myself have been waiting for literally years now for to have a new entry. But I swear. It better not be some action heavy, tedious, mumbo-jumbo, like the last 9421 Resident Evil games have been. Meh. I'm blaming you for that, Resident Evil 4!

The Game Awards is on 10 December, in case you need a reminder. So be there, or be square. Or whatever that saying actually is. :p

Where there is smoke, there is fire. Am I right? These rumours better have a worthwhile outcome soon, or I'm sending Pyramid Head to Japan. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom