• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Supernatural / Religion as Special Interests

I wouldn't exactly call it an obsession of mine, but I've always been fascinated with old ghost stories. Modern ones don't interest me much, but a folk ghost story can reveal so much about a culture, its values, and perception of life and death. Where I come from there are many, most are of mixed Mexican and Tejano origin that gradually become "anglicanised"- it is fun to see different versions of the same story and chart how the tales change through time to suit the interests of new generations. It is also very fun to see how some old ghost tales branch out into several different ones (like La Llorona, the weeping woman of southern Texas and northern Mexico, who has two basic versions of the same story, then branches out into a handful of very different ones, including appearing with the head and/or feet of a burro)

To me, the supernatural doesn't exist. It's supernatural. We humans cannot explain much- we hardly are capable of explaining anything at all. Just because something can not be explained by a human does not mean that it is impossible- if it were impossible it would not happen. If ghosts and demons and that sort of thing exist, they would have to act according to the laws of the universe just like anything else, albeit in strange ways that appear inexplicable to a human.

I personally don't believe in ghosts, but do not deny them either. I have never encountered first-hand evidence of their existence, but so many people swear up and down that they have seen phantasms that one must at least consider the possibility. I would very much like to see one, but have never had the opportunity.

We own a ranch that many people in town claim to have a ghost, but I have never seen him. On our place near this old well we have a grave of an 11 year old boy named J Seeton that died in 1871. The gravestone fell face forward ages ago so it is pretty well preserved. Story in town (our family doesn't necessarily uphold the story) is that the boy Joshua Seeton was hiding up in a tree at dusk when coming back from fishing at the Leon. He was climbing over the branches in the dark and making a lot of noise and trying to scare his sisters and he ended up getting accidentally shot by his father, who had mistook him for a wild animal. He apparently died from some infection caused by it a week later (the gravestone actually has it as a couple of days after his birthday). Ironically, there is a cemetery not far up the road named "Seeton" after him, even though he was never buried there. Some people say that you can see him sitting in a nearby patch of oaks playing or crying during the autumn, but as said before, I've never got a glimpse of him, though those oaks have always smelled a bit funny to me. Literally. They don't smell like proper oaks.

I personally don't believe in ghosts, but do not deny them either. I have never encountered first-hand evidence of their existence, but so many people swear up and down that they have seen phantasms that one must at least consider the possibility. I would very much like to see one, but have never had the opportunity.

Be careful what you wish for. Once you have such an experience, it will likely change you.

If ghosts and demons and that sort of thing exist, they would have to act according to the laws of the universe just like anything else, albeit in strange ways that appear inexplicable to a human.

I suppose that depends on what "the laws of the universe" really are.

Last edited:
I am having a wonderful day thank you. How about you? Being a Christian, I can only believe that the supernatural has something to do with the way humans are, think, act, etc. I am not 100% sure of what your question means however.

Hi Xavier-

I am a Christian too. I agree with you that the supernatural has a strong effect on how humans think and act. This suggests a link between how humans act and the passage of history. I just checked out a Google Search ten minutes ago, entering the thread "Hitler and the Occult" and found at least six links to the phrase. I haven't watched the videos yet however.

Furthermore, in the extreme end of heavy metal music, there are secrets and mysteries that former hard rock musicians know. Sometimes they reveal these shocking secrets publicly on the internet.

As a student and believer in Bible prophecy, I believe there is a supernatural thread throughout prophecy. Especially in the book of Revelation, there are mighty events in history that have taken place with the aid of supernatural agencies. These events have been described in highly symbolic terms, and future events have been foretold too.

And there is the Ouija board, which occultists and the curious will tamper with, often to a terrible fate. There are chilling warnings on the internet against the use of such tools. Levitation by advanced magicians (many stunts are fake I know) and gurus seem to indicate that another power is at work as well.

Thanks for your question Xavier. It is truly a fascinating topic!

When I was a kid, I was into researching ESP and the supernatural. I had different kits for testing things like sleeping with a pyramid on one's forehead and mind reading. :)

Later I went to live in the Middle East to learn about religion. I read many books about it.

Interesting topics...

The paranormal fascinates me; it is one of the many interests I switch back and forth between from time to time. I also love watching Animal Planet's "Haunted". It combines my love for animals and interest for paranormal. :yum:

And I am spiritual Christian. I think I combine my spirituality with my Native American Choctaw heritage. I'm fascinated with the sub-religions of Christianity to an extent but I don't feel like I fit them; I stick to my own rules combined with traditional Christian rules I was brought up with.

I go to church pretty regularly, enjoyed religion as a school subject. Still as a special interest of mine? Nope.

New Threads

Top Bottom