• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Struggling with Job Hunt

Mills

Like many autistic people, I am struggling to find a job right now. I have worked before and am currently employed. My past two jobs, which were very interaction-centric, were horrible for me. I work with minimal people at my current job, but pretty much am only employed there through a connection that I had with someone else, and would struggle to find an entry-level position that is like it. My question for you all is, what are some jobs that are a good fit for autistic people that struggle with socializing, and what are some that you think I should avoid? All answers are welcome :)

Most of my career, I worked in a laboratory, usually alone. to do this you do have to have a specialized education, not a high level, just specialized. My being an Aspie did give me an edge. My speciality was coating's application, paint, Ink treatment chemicals. I'm retired now do you like chemistry, engineering. Never had issues over the years finding positions, After all they coat every thing. once you get the basic education, for me chemical engineering technologist, the more specialized education is available online. Pays well not much competition.

Last edited:
Retail and call center in general are two that I think a lot of people on the spectrum would find challenging.

Some examples of work which might be relatively independent:

* Processing type work in finance (e.g. reviewing loan applications, insurance claims)

* Logistics. It's not a job people think of, but getting things to and from the right places can be a solid and safe career, and is a "back end" position found in virtually all retail and wholesale businesses.

* Research / legal assistant / paralegal. If you're good at your job, people will just let you do your job.

* Programming / developer. While a degree or certification helps, I've known self-taught programmers whose work spoke for itself.

* Many trades and manufacturing, especially ones where you do your own work. Some employers are willing to train/sponsor apprentices if you show an interest in sticking around.

Retail, yes, interaction was rough. But l enjoyed upselling. That was a challenge. I loved working as a paralegal. I did have a office the size of a closet, and l loved that l could close the door on everyone. Lol

My genuine favourite work ever when it comes to the work itself was working in a warehouse. Of course we have strong unions here and good employee regulations so it probably isn't the same in the US, but I was driving a small electrical lift, stacking boxes of wine and packets of beers onto a pallette in a way in which they would fit and the labels were visible and finally wrapped the pallette in plastic and left it by the truck region. I got the orders through a screen bound to my upper arm so I never had to interact with anyone and could listen to podcasts or music the whole time.

The wages are crap and a lot of the time was spent hanging around waiting for orders (sometimes most of the day was just waiting), but I genuinely enjoyed the work. It was crystal clear at all time exactly what was expected of me, I wasn't shouted at/criticized unless I made a mistake (and I hardly made any after the first week) and it was just varied and stimulating enough not to get too boring; The orders were always different, and sometimes I had to be just a tiny bit creative when it came to package ordering, but never enough so that I had problems or struggled.

I was only working there for 5 months, and when I had two weeks left my employer called me into his office. I thought he was going to tell me off for something (he is a total hardass with bulging muscles), but he actually wanted to tell me that he was unsure about employing me at first (probably in part because I had very good grades), but I completely surpassed his expectations and was welcome to return if I needed a job later in life. He actually called my father later in the winter to ask if I wanted to work for a few weeks around Christmas (I have no idea why he didn't just call me).

New Threads

Top Bottom