• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Struggling With College/School

Dwoops

So I have only recently begun to suspect that I am on the spectrum(since around late November). I have talked to a psychiatrist(who brought it up in the first place), my uncle who is a professor at a medical school, as well as my cousin who is diagnosed with aspergers. All of them agree that I most-likely am on the spectrum. With that introduction out of the way, I feel like my life has slowly started to fall apart over the past couple years. I am in my sophomore year of college, currently a 4.0 GPA and to everyone else I seem to be succeeding. Despite this I can't help feel like my life is collapsing, my routines are completely out of wack, to the point where I have lost almost every habit I have formed, including brushing my teeth, showering, studying, or even proper sleeping schedule. I also feel like my grades are starting to suffer, partly because my life seems so chaotic, partly because I just cannot get myself to do what needs to be done. Even now as I am typing this I have a large exam in 3 hours which I am completely unprepared for and can't really get myself to study. I can tell I am stressed out/my body is giving reactions that would indicate that, yet I have absolutely no drive to do anything. I have always struggled with getting myself to do anything, but once I start, I do it well and usually finish it in one go. This brings up another point, it is very hard for me to start something without finishing it which leads to many times where I procrastinate and wastes hours because I "only have one hour to work" and so i don't think it is worth starting.
Anyways I see that I started rambling a bit so I'll make a quick summary.
I feel like my life is super chaotic right now and I can't make myself do anything productive. I feel like my life is on a downward spiral to collapse and I want to fix it but I don't know how.
I guess I would like feedback or something, this is partially a rant and partially me looking for help/advice.
Thanks in advance for reading and/or responding.

So I have only recently begun to suspect that I am on the spectrum(since around late November). I have talked to a psychiatrist(who brought it up in the first place), my uncle who is a professor at a medical school, as well as my cousin who is diagnosed with aspergers. All of them agree that I most-likely am on the spectrum. With that introduction out of the way, I feel like my life has slowly started to fall apart over the past couple years. I am in my sophomore year of college, currently a 4.0 GPA and to everyone else I seem to be succeeding. Despite this I can't help feel like my life is collapsing, my routines are completely out of wack, to the point where I have lost almost every habit I have formed, including brushing my teeth, showering, studying, or even proper sleeping schedule. I also feel like my grades are starting to suffer, partly because my life seems so chaotic, partly because I just cannot get myself to do what needs to be done. Even now as I am typing this I have a large exam in 3 hours which I am completely unprepared for and can't really get myself to study. I can tell I am stressed out/my body is giving reactions that would indicate that, yet I have absolutely no drive to do anything. I have always struggled with getting myself to do anything, but once I start, I do it well and usually finish it in one go. This brings up another point, it is very hard for me to start something without finishing it which leads to many times where I procrastinate and wastes hours because I "only have one hour to work" and so i don't think it is worth starting.
Anyways I see that I started rambling a bit so I'll make a quick summary.
I feel like my life is super chaotic right now and I can't make myself do anything productive. I feel like my life is on a downward spiral to collapse and I want to fix it but I don't know how.
I guess I would like feedback or something, this is partially a rant and partially me looking for help/advice.
Thanks in advance for reading and/or responding.
You're depressed.

How did you do on your exam? I'm taking college classes part time now, so I can somewhat see where you are coming from. I also feel unable to concentrate and disorganized, etc. Try to set aside some uninterrupted time for study, even if it's just in 15 minute blocks. Take it one day at a time. When you can't, take it one hour at a time. When you can't do that, just take it one minute at a time. Focus on getting through that one minute.

I hope that this helps.

Higher education/college living has its challenges. For me it that wasn't all that easy to adapt to what amounted to a very unstructured lifestyle. Where the only real sense of regimentation revolved around class hours. The rest I had to figure out on my own.

Do you use index cards? If not, try making some, and then you can use them to study anytime you want. i typically write the name of the word on one sidd of the index card and then the description or details I want to remember on the other side. I do it while I am watching tv or videos on youtube. I use the index cards to study while i am working out at the gym, when walking to/from my car between classes, while im at work, etc. Just knowing that I have them on me gives me the motivation to study. Also, if it is ok with your professor(s) you can record your lectures and then listen to it while doing whatever it is that seems to have you distracted. I dont know if any of this helps.

New Threads

Top Bottom