• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sperm donation

I think it's a good idea. It's also good that older men are generally not allowed to donate as the risk of genetic mutations increases with age.

How are we supposed to determine who the "most intelligent people" are on this forum?

Self-report?
Voting?
Or what?
I hereby declare myself to be one of most intelligent people on this forum. Perhaps even the most intelligent! Everyone believes me, right?

like I said, I've never been to that site. I just was shown a couple of really sad stories on it a while back.
The point is that the source of those stories is highly biased and cannot be trusted.

My cousins are sperm donor babies and they are happy well adjusted adults who are very glad that their parents wanted them so much.

I feel disheartened in reading responses in this thread. I think there should be as full disclosure as possible with all known health or neurological issues in the sperm donation world, but I'm proud to be autistic and I have an autistic child and in 100% honesty wouldn't change him for anything. To each their own, but I'm saddened.

I'm looking at all my known ancestors and can't think of any who might have been an Aspie so I don't know where my Aspie nature comes from. I'm different in so many ways but I wouldn't change a thing and, I suppose, if any child of mine (I don't have any) turned out as Aspie as me he, too, might not wish he were an NT. And looking at NTs, I really don't see any admirable traits that I would wish for. I think my Aspie nature has been a help to me in life. True, I'm not very high (or low, whichever way you look at it) on the spectrum and I have struggled a bit in life, but I don't know anyone who hasn't struggled. I've managed to reach my Sixties and be fairly happy and comfortable with just a few dents and scratches and I've loved my life.

Why would you want to pass your messed up genetics on when there is a good chance that they could end up ASD3?
ASD2/3 is the result of an ASD1 having a neo-natal brain injury. I come from a long line of likely ASD1s, and no known incidents of ASD2 or 3. I think that it's a worthwhile gene to pass down, but I will not entrust the care of any of my children to strangers.

How are we supposed to determine who the "most intelligent people" are on this forum?

Self-report?
Voting?
Or what?
By how many digits of pi they have memorized...
full

full
(Talk about irrational...!)

ASD2/3 is the result of an ASD1 having a neo-natal brain injury. I come from a long line of likely ASD1s, and no known incidents of ASD2 or 3.
Could you provide citations for this? I know that connections have been founds between certain neo-natal brain injuries and higher risk of autism but no such clear link as you suggest.

Could you provide citations for this? I know that connections have been founds between certain neo-natal brain injuries and higher risk of autism but no such clear link as you suggest.
The general, detailed theory is from a Dr. Martha Herbert. Basically, Millennial ASD2s & 3s have family histories of ASD1 but not ASD2/3 (which were very rare prior to the Millennials/1980s births). The pre-Millennial rate was about 1:1000 (not counting ASD1s). The last rate that I heard for current 2s & 3s was 1:200-250 (it may be higher now).
CA DDS Cases by Birth Year
full

California DDS Autism Cases By Birth Year (as of 2014)
Image taken from California's Autism Crisis
These are ASD2s & 3s only; not including ASD1s. This caseload did not previously exist under a different diagnosis.​

The sudden change points to an environmental change that occurred around the world at nearly the same time as each other.

Statistically, ASDs have a more sensitive immune system in the form of allergies. Dr. Herbert's theory, IIUC, is that this toxin (whatever it is) is relatively mild, so children of NTs survive it with little to no symptoms because of their robust immune systems, but children of ASD parents are hit harder [ASD2/3] due to their oversensitive immune systems.

To be sure, people are trying to zero in on what that toxin might be. THIS is my best theory on the matter.

Edit: If my statistics above are correct, 75-80% of ASD2s & 3s would be ASD1s if that toxin was found and removed successfully.

(Groups like Autism Speaks would rather selectively abort us than identify the toxin in question. :()

Last edited:
NTs can have allergies (for different reasons), but we are more likely to.
1 of 3 persons has allergies, while around 1 in 60 ASD. Well, my symptoms last all year long because I'm allergic to dermatophags, but my symptoms get worse from April to September because I am sensitive to MANY plants that flower in my place.

The sudden change points to an environmental change that occurred around the world at nearly the same time as each other.

I tried following the data from that graph, and one question I had has an answer on that site, but I can't find the source:

Repeated DDS studies show this surge is not due to broadening of criteria, better ascertainment or greater awareness, but rather to an actual increase in the numbers of persons with substantially disabling abnormal neurodevelopment that manifests, at least in part, in significantly impaired communication, social functioning, and repetitive behaviors.

I'm specifically looking for the multiple DDS studies. I looked through the report and didn't immediately see any references.

I don't understand why both can't be true? I've seen a lot of different ailments get clarity, and thus more people are properly categorized, or no longer ignored. Maybe the data pins on the word 'surge' in that it is still true, but the biggest part was from something else. Either way, I'd love to read the research, data and reasoning behind it.

It seems there are multiple different distinct things that can end up with a result of ADS, so maybe this is really specific subgroup.

But one thing that rings true for me is the notion of the interaction of the immune system. The research related to myelin related mutations feels related. Maybe the remote connections between brain regions have longer axions and thus having proper myelin sheathing to allow faster/efficient are more critical? Some have mutations that cause issues, some have immune responses that impact it. And probably other signaling aspects that would also cause an issue.

Some studies talking about the immune system being compromised and its relation to compromising this may relate? In some cases a viral infection starts the chain of events. Seems like maybe there are two sides, one in which the immune system is not working properly and the virus persists. And one where there is a reaction to a virus, it is eliminated, but some loop persists in the immune response that continues.

If in the end a specific environmental thing results in some excessive immune response, then it would easy to test. Is there research around this? Finding a child with unusual levels with no source I would think would be more common?

There are a lot of things in society that rapidly changed in these decades. Even if one could say it is linked to vaccinations, the truth is if this is the issue, I imagine it would be one of many different resulting with the same cause. If all it takes is proper detection at the right phase of life, maybe there are some (anti-viral?) options that would have real meaningful impact at the right time of development?

Last edited:
Personally, I would allow autistic people to donate sperm, but make it a requirement to disclose their diagnosis, same thing going for any other conditions they might have. Let's start with a 10.000 dollars fine for lying :p

Anything else would be unfair not only to the parents but particularly to the child that might result.

If people still want your sperm, that's fine, it's a free market I guess.

I tried following the data from that graph, and one question I had has an answer on that site, but I can't find the source:
At https://www.sfautismsociety.org/californias-autism-crisis.html , click on "Autism Rising." It is a more detailed PDF (which the page summarizes).
I don't understand why both can't be true?
Because an ASD2 or 3 with a wrong diagnosis would still already be in DDS [special education], albeit under a different label. That hasn't been the case.
Some studies talking about the immune system being compromised and its relation to compromising this may relate...?
This theory is that of Dr. Herbert. I was just summarizing the parts that I understood. Any debate or discussion would have to be with her.

Because an ASD2 or 3 with a wrong diagnosis would still already be in DDS [special education], albeit under a different label.

I get it, I was missing the forest for the tree. :)

Reading the study overview
A diagnosis of ASD was reported in 1868 children (0.95%). The weighted prevalence of reported food, respiratory, and skin allergies was higher in children with ASD (11.25%, 18.73%, and 16.81%, respectively) compared with children without ASD (4.25%, 12.08%, and 9.84%, respectively). In analyses adjusting for age, sex, race/ethnicity, family highest education level, family income level, geographical region, and mutual adjustment for other allergic conditions, the associations between allergic conditions and ASD remained significant.

This is great info. I can totally see a correlation between immune response. The idea that it only impacts ASD1 kids and makes it worse is would be interesting. They are already impacted by whatever this is, but having an additional reaction makes it worse.

I would love to see a study done with cytokine assays with some of these populations. I've dreamed of having machine to specifically analyze and group IgE based on antigen binding so we could simply have a database and see exactly what the body is reacting to.

If anything it might mean there are a bunch of people who could take some kind of action at the right time. Even as simple as keeping on top of antihistamines? Keep the response to whatever it is, as low as possible.

If anything it might mean there are a bunch of people who could take some kind of action at the right time. Even as simple as keeping on top of antihistamines? Keep the response to whatever it is, as low as possible.
The group cited in my blog post claimed that the brain injury was the consequence of a "de novo" gene mutation, not an allergy proper. I surmised that an oversensitive immune system would have troubles dealing with that, as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom