• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

special interests

Ronald Zeeman

V.I.P Member
A lot on this site are interested how a special interest manifests itself, I'm currently at the beginning stages of one now anyone following me on this site know I have been interested in Covid and how it maty relate to the immune system. this morning I got on my stationary bike for my morning bike ride just started reading a back issue of scientific American, this issue just happens to be about immunity many articles. One of my close friends, female, husband passed a few weeks ago, found out a year ago that she has graves' disease autoimmune disease the article I just started reading started with a case study on a woman who just found out she was being diagnosed with graves from the doctor's perspective. on top of that my son for Christmas gave me a book called Immune. basically, you do not look for special interests, they tend to find you. I care about my friend, want to help her in any way I can This is a real-life puzzle which tends to attract my mind.

A lot on this site are interested how a special interest manifests itself, I'm currently at the beginning stages of one now anyone following me on this site know I have been interested in Covid and how it maty relate to the immune system. this morning I got on my stationary bike for my morning bike ride just started reading a back issue of scientific American, this issue just happens to be about immunity many articles. One of my close friends, female, husband passed a few weeks ago, found out a year ago that she has graves' disease autoimmune disease the article I just started reading started with a case study on a woman who just found out she was being diagnosed with graves from the doctor's perspective. on top of that my son for Christmas gave me a book called Immune. basically, you do not look for special interests, they tend to find you. I care about my friend, want to help her in any way I can This is a real-life puzzle which tends to attract my mind.
I have Graves’ disease. Currently in remission after Radioactive iodine Treatment in October .Everything seems to be fine now. They just need to get the right dosage of Thyroid hormones now for me. It takes awhile to get the right dosage

The article is 12 pages, 1 in a hundred people can get it mainly women. I guess she was not dirty enough when she was younger, did not challenge her immune system enough.

These are but a few. You've likely seen me post that autism is a medical condition. It's research like this, and other lines of evidence that support that statement.

Oxidative stress and immune dysfunction in autism: Oxidative Stress and Immune System Dysfunction in Autism Spectrum Disorders

The cytokine responses in autism: Anti-inflammatory cytokines in autism spectrum disorders: A systematic review and meta-analysis

Neonatal cytokine markers and their association with later diagnosis of autism: An Exploratory Examination of Neonatal Cytokines and Chemokines as Predictors of Autism Risk: The Early Markers for Autism Study

Although this, in no way suggests that someone with autism has a "low immunity", rather quite the opposite, in some cases, as the literature would suggest an overabundance of "pro-inflammatory" cytokines and chemokines. In other words, the response being, we may not get "sick" any more or less than anyone else, but, when we do get sick we typically have a more profound inflammatory response that may result in a more prolonged case of a flu, cold, CoVID (myself, 5 months), and/or a more profound inflammatory response to injury, surgery, etc. I have dealt with this phenomenon all my life.

Last edited:
The one commonality we have is atypical blood types I Have AB positive, she has A negative. she jokes she never ever gets the flu; I have to worry about something getting injected directly into my body causing an immune reaction. challenging your immune system is important the earlier the better. I'M a country person She is a city girl.

I'M looking forward to seeing if these turns into a special interest. I just started reading the article again dense reading, discussing how sex hormones effects immune system I have high testosterone, see thread on finger length ratio she has high testosterone level for a woman, her finger ratio is even more extreme than mine I have alfa male levels, which probably explains female attraction to me, she is very argumentative, and bright probably why we are friends.

Last edited:
basically, you do not look for special interests, they tend to find you
answer I’ve wanted all along for this question!
now if you know, you know
F48E703C-C8CF-4DD9-98DD-2EFEC3BDE31C.jpeg

This is another thread that makes me feel like I'm definitely in the right place. When a subject catches my interest, I want to understand it inside and out.

When I become interested in medical stuff though I find that Doctors treat me with suspicion. If I seem informed about something it seems that they think I'm a hypercondriac or that I'm trying to influence them in some way. When I had more than 4 abnormal ECGs in a row, I knew that it meant I needed to be examined properly.

I learned how to read the ECGs and then could speak with some knowledge on the subject. The doctor tried to fob me off. I insisted and when he realised he was on speaker phone gaslighting me in front of my family he suddenly changed his tune and referred me to a cardiologist. Turns out there was a problem.

Apparently I'm just not supposed to know about such things. But this is the way Ive always been, if there is a problem, I want to learn about how it was caused and how to fix it.

I wonder if anyone else runs into this kind of problem? I mean, I know quite a bit about cars and I never have mechanics behave so weird with me. I know about computers and I dont run into this problem with experts. They don't seem to think its weird or suspicious that I have some knowledge. In fact they often seem happy that I can talk their language.

I learned how to read the ECGs and then could speak with some knowledge on the subject.
I have a fairly large bull chest. I found that if I keep breathing in and in I can make it squeal and all the nurses come running. :)

I have never been impressed by well-educated or bight people too much Dunning-Kruger effect, I keep my mouth shut, bit my lip, enjoy talking to the physio therapists, most have master's degrees, shocked at lack of respect doctors give them.

This is another thread that makes me feel like I'm definitely in the right place. When a subject catches my interest, I want to understand it inside and out.

When I become interested in medical stuff though I find that Doctors treat me with suspicion. If I seem informed about something it seems that they think I'm a hypercondriac or that I'm trying to influence them in some way. When I had more than 4 abnormal ECGs in a row, I knew that it meant I needed to be examined properly.

I learned how to read the ECGs and then could speak with some knowledge on the subject. The doctor tried to fob me off. I insisted and when he realised he was on speaker phone gaslighting me in front of my family he suddenly changed his tune and referred me to a cardiologist. Turns out there was a problem.

Apparently I'm just not supposed to know about such things. But this is the way Ive always been, if there is a problem, I want to learn about how it was caused and how to fix it.

I wonder if anyone else runs into this kind of problem? I mean, I know quite a bit about cars and I never have mechanics behave so weird with me. I know about computers and I dont run into this problem with experts. They don't seem to think its weird or suspicious that I have some knowledge. In fact they often seem happy that I can talk their language.
Yes I have it’s weird . My family doctor was condescending and mean to me for years . Then one day he noticed My Psychological Records in my profile .
And mentioned “I did not know you are Autistic “‘
I said- yes I am
Ever since then he had changed and listened.

I don’t know why that would make a difference .
Why should that even be a variable How a doctor perceives me and converses ?

I wonder if anyone else runs into this kind of problem?
I have so many stories like this that I could write a book about them, and in fact I did. Won't pass the PG13 rating for this site though. I've met a few very good doctors, but they are very few.

My theory about most of them is that they really struggled through medical school and barely managed to pass, so they feel threatened by anyone that picks up knowledge so easily. And I honestly believe that half the doctors in Australia didn't pass so they went for a holiday in Bali to buy a PhD.

The doctors that truly know what they're talking about don't feel threatened and are happy to engage with you and talk about their favourite subject, just like the mechanics and IT blokes you mentioned.

Yes I have it’s weird . My family doctor was condescending and mean to me for years . Then one day he noticed My Psychological Records in my profile .
And mentioned “I did not know you are Autistic “‘
I said- yes I am
Ever since then he had changed and listened.

I don’t know why that would make a difference .
Why should that even be a variable How a doctor perceives me and converses ?
Well I suspect I have a similar problem. There is a completely wrong diagnosis on my medical files. It seemed to come about as no one actually bothered to check my notes properly and concluded I had invented my bipolar diagnosis. Despite me proving that I received the diagnosis and a psychiatrist admitting the "new" diagnosis was unsound, it seems to still be coming into play.

The thing is, even if it was correct, it doesn't mean that I'm inventing problems when I go to see the doctor. It doesn't mean I don't have insight. In fact every time problems have been found to exist and I'm vindicated. But this just seems to make doctors all the more vindictive. I'm kinda at the end of my tether with it.

If I was someone else I likely would have just been fobbed off as I wouldn't have educated myself.

In all other areas of my life, I tend to solve problems myself. I can't do that with medical stuff really. I can't access the resources.

I have so many stories like this that I could write a book about them, and in fact I did. Won't pass the PG13 rating for this site though. I've met a few very good doctors, but they are very few.

My theory about most of them is that they really struggled through medical school and barely managed to pass, so they feel threatened by anyone that picks up knowledge so easily. And I honestly believe that half the doctors in Australia didn't pass so they went for a holiday in Bali to buy a PhD.

The doctors that truly know what they're talking about don't feel threatened and are happy to engage with you and talk about their favourite subject, just like the mechanics and IT blokes you mentioned.
I agree! I've been fortunate to have had a couple of very good doctors. One picked up on my symptoms and that lead to the bipolar diagnosis and the treatment changed, and probably, saved my life.

When things "hit the fan" again a few years ago I fully expected that there would be some tweaks with medications and in a fairly short time I would be back to my old self. But that just didn't happen. It almost feels to me like the doctor was actively trying to make me worse.

It's really put me off going anywhere near a doctor. I just end up coming out of the experience feeling worse and still no further ahead. It just sucks! Though I'm rather tempted by one of these Bali PhDs! :smilecat:

And I honestly believe that half the doctors in Australia didn't pass so they went for a holiday in Bali to buy a PhD.
This is how it is in Iceland. Actually passing the Doctor examination is very tough and access spots are limited, so loads of people go to Slovenia to get a medical degree. Honestly, I think more people might move to Slovenia to study than stay in Iceland (I personally know some people who went there and there is a whole community of Icelandic people in the town). Then, because the wages here are so bad, the ones who studied in Iceland get work in Norway, Sweden or the US (formerly UK as well, but that might have changed in the last few years).

These are but a few. You've likely seen me post that autism is a medical condition. It's research like this, and other lines of evidence that support that statement.

Oxidative stress and immune dysfunction in autism: Oxidative Stress and Immune System Dysfunction in Autism Spectrum Disorders

The cytokine responses in autism: Anti-inflammatory cytokines in autism spectrum disorders: A systematic review and meta-analysis

Neonatal cytokine markers and their association with later diagnosis of autism: An Exploratory Examination of Neonatal Cytokines and Chemokines as Predictors of Autism Risk: The Early Markers for Autism Study

Although this, in no way suggests that someone with autism has a "low immunity", rather quite the opposite, in some cases, as the literature would suggest an overabundance of "pro-inflammatory" cytokines and chemokines. In other words, the response being, we may not get "sick" any more or less than anyone else, but, when we do get sick we typically have a more profound inflammatory response that may result in a more prolonged case of a flu, cold, CoVID (myself, 5 months), and/or a more profound inflammatory response to injury, surgery, etc. I have dealt with this phenomenon all my life.
That might explain why my body hates me!

I don't know if anyone else is like me, but I've had organs just quit working and all sorts of bizarre stuff. My medical history is so convoluted at this point that it's unreal.

That might explain why my body hates me!

I don't know if anyone else is like me, but I've had organs just quit working and all sorts of bizarre stuff. My medical history is so convoluted at this point that it's unreal.
I can relate! About 7-8 years ago bits of me seemed to just stop working. Started off with nerve damage in my right arm and just kinda spiralled from there.

It's pretty convoluted for me too. I think this partially explains the doctors' attitude towards me, they just don't think I could possibly have as many health issues as I do.

My main one is rooted in childhood, as I would play records or songs over and over again. This really took off when I got a tape recorder and I recorded songs I liked from the radio. Sound quality was really bad, but didn't seem to bother me at the time - I was just grateful to have a recording of the song. I would sit by the radio listening and waiting for a specific song to be played so I could record it. Like fishing :) Of course, I also bought records with my pocket money, or got given records as presents, but didn't have a lot of money so couldn't afford to buy many. When the internet came along, it really was a game changer for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom