• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Speak Out - "Why 1980s TV is the Best"

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

The following is an opinion piece that I found on TVARK (I came across that website by accident) and decided to share as I thought it was interesting.
Since there wasn't a physical version I could copy like when I share news articles, I've got some screengrabs and posted it on Imgur. I'll leave a link to both the Imgur page and the TVARK article page I found this on at the bottom.

Hope you like what you see; especially those of you who grew up in the 1980s.

1HcLefU.jpg

Image Source: imgur.com
News Source: TVARK ('Teletext' Page 154)

The things I remember were some great non-fiction series, Cosmos by Carl Sagan, The West of the Imagination, and Twain's, Life on the Mississippi, dramatized on Great Performances. But for fun, I liked the surreal, Pee Wee's Playhouse.

It wasn't just the TV that was great. The Music and the Movies were great as well. Even the places as well. Remember going to the video arcade and feeding those machines your quarters? Here's a video of a Chuck E Cheese from 1983. This should bring back some memories.

Notice how dark it is in there. Like going to a Bar. Today's CEC is so brightly lit and looks more like a daycare center. A far cry from the 80's one.

I gotta tell ya, when it come to media and entertainment. There was nothing like the 80's. I remember quite well when the 90's roll around and 80's rapidly dying off.

R.I.P you will be remembered.

Last edited:
Thankfully racism was less popular and sitcoms like on the buses had died ,apart from that it was still stilted received pronunciation(you would hear r.p on news broadcasts from London)local news wasn't exactly natural ,I was child to late teens in the 1980s ,watched neighbours(Grundy television, to Australian rhyming slang Reg grundies- undies -underpants)to see sunlight ,neighbours is ending this year whether temporarily depends on finance, there was still a degree of modesty on television promiscuity wasnt as hip,I like bbc2 docs series arena and horizon ,sometimes the south bank show (lwt)(ITV) was alright ,enjoyed a couple of audience with (ITV),some bbc2 dramas,film 1986-1989 (bbc1) Barry Norman presenter could be interesting ,top of the pops(top 40 chart with video performances)(bbc1)

I'm a 90's kid myself, but I do feel a sense of nostalgia for the 1980's despite having never lived in it.
I've since found out there is a word for this - Anemoia - which I found an article about here and it goes into detail about it: https://8bitpickle.com/pop-culture/what-is-anemoia-nostalgia/

Interestingly, it talks about Synthwave music (along with Chillwave and Retrowave) been "heavily inspired by an 80s sensibility and, above all else, aims to celebrate an era that we have long lost".
I found that intriguing as I do listen to a lot of Synthwave/Retrowave music nowadays after been introduced to it from watching a playthrough of Firewatch: the game including the song "Push Play" by Cheap Talk.

Speaking of which, how much of the following footage from this video do you recognize? (the song - "Explorers" by The Midnight - begins playing at 0:47):

New Threads

Top Bottom