• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sound/noise

Loud, unexpected noises for me are the worst. I especially hate it when people yell, or hit things, especially if it's really sudden. Even listening to someone else get yelled at gives me anxiety. I also really can't stand people who'll yell out things randomly because they think it's funny to watch people jump.

Of course, things like people clicking their pens or nails on a hard surface is extremely annoying, especially when I'm trying to concentrate. But it doesn't scare me like loud noises do.

It's odd, I used to have a very high sensitivity to loud stuff way back when... these days it's almost the opposite. There MUST be some volume at all times or I start to get really bothered. Even sleeping, for example. I have a program on my iPad that does nothing but make assorted sounds. I set it to "waterfall" each night (it also has lots of very, very strange other options, like the "horror" theme, complete with creaking noises and the moaning of the tormented dead, because that makes sense somehow) max out the volume as high as it'll go (drowns out any other sounds that might be sudden and thus wake me up), and leave it that way. If the room is instead quiet... no sleep.

But it's similar during the day. Even right now, I have the fan in my bathroom on (it's attached to my room) simply because it makes a constant noise since I cant deal with the silence that results otherwise when I'm not doing something like gaming or whatnot. Same with driving, I have assorted soundtracks from games I like on CDs, and they must be playing at all times.

The odd part of this is that none of this NEEDS to be loud for me to process it. My hearing isnt bad or anything... the direct opposite is true. My hearing is *exceptional*, and no sound escapes me. Hell, even with the loud waterfall thing playing at night, I'm still going to hear most other things to some degree... it's just that they're so much easier to ignore, "drowned out" in that way even if not what that term usually means.

However, *really* loud stuff is still too much. Like, you'd never, ever get me into something like a concert. That's a total shutdown waiting to happen. Or something like an airshow, with assorted loud flying things getting too close and thus being way too much.

Misophonia is a common autistic trait. The nervous system is oversensitive to auditory inputs to the point that they become distracting and painful. Similar issues are usually present with the other sense as well.

Misophonia actually describes a type of auditory sensitivity that involves intolerance/sensitivity to only specific sounds.

Generic auditory sensitivity in the context of Sensory Processing Disorder(SPD) or isolated sensory processing issues is just called "auditory hypersensitivity", as far as I know -- or may be diagnosed as "hyperacusis" by audiologists (and probably other doctors that work with ears and brains). I think it's the same thing, but I'm not 100% sure.

I have auditory hypersensitivity/hyperacusis (and SPD, with other hypersensitivities and some hyposensitivities). I carry earplugs with me all the time to muffle noise. I used to have a lot of meltdowns over noise (still could, if the noise was inescapable).

Last edited:
Sounds like sensitive hearing affects a lot more people than I thought.
As a kid it caused me lots of trouble and even got me into some trouble at home and school.
I had a teacher that wrote hard and fast on the chalk board and would hit the board when making her dot at the end of a sentence. I would just hear scratch, scratch, screech, scratch, scratch, scratch, pop...
I would never hear a word she said...

Sadly just the pitch of some peoples voices makes me uncomfortable. I have a nice lady I work with, but her voice makes me cringe. It makes me feel bad, but I don't want to talk to her, because I don't want to hear her voice respond. Thats horrible and it makes me feel very wrong. I would never tell her that because she certainly cant help it.

Crowds of people are a nightmare. The noise commercial lights make bug me (its sounds like a frying noise in my head). Some amplified electric guitar notes are like a nail being driven in my ear, yet loud drums are not an issue and low tones are not an issue (exception is cymbals). Also when they are mixed like in a symphony its not so bad... But hard rock, with a solo guitar I will cover my ears or turn it down if its in the car. Makes me want to punch something, if it goes no very long.

The "ding" on my microwave is one of those noises I don't like. I stop it before it makes that high pitched sound ungodly ding. The HVAC unit in my house was a real issue. The intake is in the hall right by the den to me sounded like the inlet on a four 747 airplanes. They came and made a baffle that made it much quieter, so now the fans are a much more muffled roar.

I have hypersensitive hearing. Some sounds actually hurt, yet other sounds that I would think would be bad that are loud, don't bother me too bad.

A shrill pop from a fire cracker or or gun makes me super uncomfortable. Yet the roar of a powerful engine in a performance car isn't too big of an issue (usually a low roar). Bad brake squeal (when a car needs new brake pads) makes me about lose my mind. Granted I live my life with my ear buds (headphones) in my ears most the time, so things are tolerable.

I had my hearing tested I now know the frequencies that hurt. They do make noise generating hearing aids that electronically cancel out the frequencies that hurt and I hope I will be getting a pair soon. Some people I have talked to say they dont work very well for the cost??? I don't know how well they will work in the long run? I already know they cant work with ear buds, so thats going to be kind of a situation, but I just want them mainly for when I am going to unfamiliar places anyway.

In my normal surroundings I am okay. I live in the middle of nowhere most the time, so I can get some relief. When I am in San Diego... It too is the quiet part, so not a real problem either. I don't know how people like me cope living deep inner city with all the honking, massive noises everywhere. I simply couldn't do it. I think I would lose my mind.

Misophonia actually describes a type of auditory sensitivity that involves intolerance/sensitivity to only specific sounds.

Generic auditory sensitivity in the context of Sensory Processing Disorder(SPD) or isolated sensory processing issues is just called "auditory hypersensitivity", as far as I know -- or may be diagnosed as "hyperacusis" by audiologists (and probably other doctors that work with ears and brains). I think it's the same thing, but I'm not 100% sure.

I have auditory hypersensitivity/hyperacusis (and SPD, with other hypersensitivities and some hyposensitivities). I carry earplugs with me all the time to muffle noise. I used to have a lot of meltdowns over noise (still could, if the noise was inescapable).

We are in same loud, noisy, sanity testing boat !!! Mine is so bad I am trying to get some "noise generating" hearing aids... One of my worst things is my hearing. I have actually wished I was just deaf sometimes. I truly think it would be more peaceful, but then again who knows?

We are in same loud, noisy, sanity testing boat !!! Mine is so bad I am trying to get some "noise generating" hearing aids... One of my worst things is my hearing. I have actually wished I was just deaf sometimes. I truly think it would be more peaceful, but then again who knows?

Noise-generating hearing aids? Do they play "pink noise"?

The audiologist I saw recommended I get custom-made musician's earplugs (I never have, but someday I really should find out if they are covered by my health insurance -- and try them, if they are).....apparently they can be made to filter out certain frequencies of sound as well as to filter out everything above a certain decibel level.

I have never wished I was deaf (I suppose this is because I am a musician...I love sounds, just not when they are painful and/or overwhelming and impossible to untangle) but I can understand why you would!

My mom wore hearing aids and she said one of the nice things about having them was she could turn off overwhelming noise -- e.g. she would turn them off when walking down the street outside, so she didn't have to hear the traffic. One of the terrible things about them, though, was that sometimes background noises came in way too loud when she needed to hear something else, and she couldn't always adjust the hearing aids to make it any better.

I agree with a lot of what's being here. Someone Clapping annoys me its too sharp for my ears, but an applause is OK. I rage when a loud moped passes with a long drawn out consistent prolonged single tone.. my ears...!! I wanna scream and rip them of their bike and bash em. Obviously I just amble along covering my ears instead. If a bus goes past, too slow...a low reverberating vibratey drown... people laughing, chatting when I need quiet, some voice tones, cats crying. The wrong Music, or music when music is on.. I especially hate it when my gf, uses her phone for music at bath time, and she brings it out the bathroom blaring in hand, tosses it to the sofa, and potters about.. I'm trying to watch TV or think something. I Hide it but inside I am on FULL BOIL. ... aspie world.. :?

Noise-generating hearing aids? Do they play "pink noise"?

The audiologist I saw recommended I get custom-made musician's earplugs (I never have, but someday I really should find out if they are covered by my health insurance -- and try them, if they are).....apparently they can be made to filter out certain frequencies of sound as well as to filter out everything above a certain decibel level.

I have never wished I was deaf (I suppose this is because I am a musician...I love sounds, just not when they are painful and/or overwhelming and impossible to untangle) but I can understand why you would!

My mom wore hearing aids and she said one of the nice things about having them was she could turn off overwhelming noise -- e.g. she would turn them off when walking down the street outside, so she didn't have to hear the traffic. One of the terrible things about them, though, was that sometimes background noises came in way too loud when she needed to hear something else, and she couldn't always adjust the hearing aids to make it any better.

From what I understand... They take the frequencies that are disturbing or painful and make a program of them and when that frequency fires off the hearing aids delete/shutdown that frequency by using another one to cancel what would have been heard. To my understanding I won't be able to hear that frequency or it will just be muffled, plus you have the unit fully blocking your ear canal, so you can turn it down and not hear as much anyway...

I dont think they put out any noise, until an unwanted frequency is detected, but even then its just a canceling frequency not going to probably be heard as a noise.

I was super excited about this, but some people, even one audiologist says these are an expensive hit and miss. There will be some help, but the cost and aggravation of getting everything set can be an expensive long and ongoing thing... So I'm still battling if I want to proceed or just stay away from as much of it as I can.

I'm not some social butterfly, so I'm not sure if this is worth it. I do love baseball games... They can be really loud at times, golf is not a problem ever so I am good there. I do love drag racing, but ear plugs handle that okay. The deep roar is not an issue, its high pitches that send me into insanity. I deeply love music but I won't being going to any more concerts (indoor ones anyway). I feel trapped and I get all messed up way too fast, the last one was a near disaster, I was having a hard time functioning enough to get out. Movie theaters are no more... too freaking loud! I don't like crowds and noisy places....

Where these would help is like everyday places the convenience stores, regular stores, dealerships, construction sites, wholesale warehouses, lumber yards, with all the buzzers, blips, equipment speaking, and roaring fans... I still need to communicate and these are the places I have the most difficulty. So I'm still working on it and by the way my insurance said no... Isn't that just about right.

Also I never should have said I wish I was deaf, I was just being a snarky jerk who wasn't thinking about what I was saying... Not cool, just tiring : )

From what I understand... They take the frequencies that are disturbing or painful and make a program of them and when that frequency fires off the hearing aids delete/shutdown that frequency by using another one to cancel what would have been heard. To my understanding I won't be able to hear that frequency or it will just be muffled, plus you have the unit fully blocking your ear canal, so you can turn it down and not hear as much anyway...

That sounds like possibly same thing that was recommended for me but with a different name....if not the same, very similar.

Sucks that your insurance said "no"....my health insurance is government-funded universal healthcare and if they covered it, it would fall under "aids to daily living" -- but I'm not sure, since it's a prescribed list of items rather than just whatever reasonable items would help a person manage their disability.

Also I never should have said I wish I was deaf, I was just being a snarky jerk who wasn't thinking about what I was saying... Not cool, just tiring : )

I didn't think you were being a snarky jerk -- I still don't perceive it that way. Because snark, to me, is something mean/unkind or at least sarcastic, and your comment did not seem to be any of those things .... I don't think there is anything wrong with what you said, or anything wrong with wishing to be deaf in times of desperation and pain when you can't escape the noise that's causing said pain.

I don't think there's anything inherently bad about being deaf, anyways -- it's not necessarily a kind of misfortune. For those born deaf, it may be a perfectly normal part of who they are and there is an entire Deaf culture. I think it depends on circumstance and perspective, and is up to the individual experiencing deafness to decide for themselves what it is to/for them.

I'm sorry if what I said about my mom and her hearing aids played any part in making you feel bad or if I came across as judgemental -- it was just me sharing a thought about loss of hearing as a solution to auditory hypersensitivity (cost/benefit -- although in my mom's case she wasn't deaf, just hearing impaired) and explaining another possible part of why I don't think I've ever had the same wish despite having had the sort of experiences that could cause a person to wish it (at least temporarily).

Misophonia is a common autistic trait. The nervous system is oversensitive to auditory inputs to the point that they become distracting and painful. Similar issues are usually present with the other sense as well.

My sensory issues aren't as bad, but I recall that the voice of Nuclear Man (from Superman IV) and the warp speed sound effect from Star Trek really frightened me when I was little. And I have always had problems picking out voices and often have to have things repeated to me. It was suspected I had hearing problems, but my hearing was, in fact, excellent. I just have trouble filtering out competing information.

If I am stressed, overload, or on bad meds I sometimes experience misophonia. The worst is when peoples speaking voices cause my ears to burn and fill me with the irrational urge to lash out. Thankfully I have enough self control not to. I am just glad such sensitivity isn't my norm.
I have a real problem processing auditory and visual information simultaneously. Lose my concentration when there's a lot of noise around me. toilet sounds don't really bother me, just loud unexpected sounds. Been like this all my life.

I have to put music on for every meal at home, so I don't get unnerved by the sound of other people chewing.

Hate balloons popping, little kids screaming, drills, the dishwasher, the washing machine, people eating crisps, cages pulled across supermarket floors...

Unfortunately I didnt read page two because I know I need to sleep. I didnt realise that sound was different to everybody ( I mean normalities) I actually thought everybody could feel sound. I can handle a lot of types of spunds through years of conditioning but still internally struggle however I find sudden noises particularly difficult and makes me jump because its like a can feel the vibration traveling through my bodu. Does anyone else get this ? im sorry if its a dumb question but ive only just discovered that everyone does not feel this. I thought it was a very "normal "thing .

I've also just noticed that that still doesnt quite make sense . By it I mean someone drops a pencil or something knocks and is a different range of noises. It does not need to be loud . . Also I am sorry for my typos . Using my phone and missing buttons clearly

I have always had a hard time with sound. Since I was very young, I had an intense fear of loud sounds like toilets flushing, balloons popping, etc. Even to this day, I would often plug or cover my ears before I flush the toilet. Not only that, I had, and still have, a hard time blocking out background noises. Whenever I studied and needed to concentrate, I could hear too many different noises that would drive me crazy. Smallest of sounds like clock ticking, pencil screeching, typing, buttons on the calculator, or any movements would make me lose my train of thought and prevent me from comprehending question. Therefore, whenever I took a test, I had to read the questions repeatedly or plug my ears, which is impossible to do if you are writing an essay. When conversing amongst the crowd or a loud classroom, I frequently missed what the other person said, so I always had to reply back "what did you say?" or agreed without knowing what was said. Do you guys have similar problems in your daily life (or during childhood)?

Thanks

I have SPD. This is a nightmare for me. I wear earplugs 24/7!!!

New Threads

Top Bottom