• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sound/noise

saturn123

I have always had a hard time with sound. Since I was very young, I had an intense fear of loud sounds like toilets flushing, balloons popping, etc. Even to this day, I would often plug or cover my ears before I flush the toilet. Not only that, I had, and still have, a hard time blocking out background noises. Whenever I studied and needed to concentrate, I could hear too many different noises that would drive me crazy. Smallest of sounds like clock ticking, pencil screeching, typing, buttons on the calculator, or any movements would make me lose my train of thought and prevent me from comprehending question. Therefore, whenever I took a test, I had to read the questions repeatedly or plug my ears, which is impossible to do if you are writing an essay. When conversing amongst the crowd or a loud classroom, I frequently missed what the other person said, so I always had to reply back "what did you say?" or agreed without knowing what was said. Do you guys have similar problems in your daily life (or during childhood)?

Thanks

Yeah that is the worst. After I used the bathroom, my mom had flushed it for me, while I waited outside with my ears plugged.

Also, when I was younger, going to a new restroom was scary, because I didn't know how loud the toilet was going to be.

I have always had a hard time with sound. Since I was very young, I had an intense fear of loud sounds like toilets flushing, balloons popping, etc. Even to this day, I would often plug or cover my ears before I flush the toilet. Not only that, I had, and still have, a hard time blocking out background noises. Whenever I studied and needed to concentrate, I could hear too many different noises that would drive me crazy. Smallest of sounds like clock ticking, pencil screeching, typing, buttons on the calculator, or any movements would make me lose my train of thought and prevent me from comprehending question. Therefore, whenever I took a test, I had to read the questions repeatedly or plug my ears, which is impossible to do if you are writing an essay. When conversing amongst the crowd or a loud classroom, I frequently missed what the other person said, so I always had to reply back "what did you say?" or agreed without knowing what was said. Do you guys have similar problems in your daily life (or during childhood)?

Thanks
For some reason a particular large engine makes me wince

Thanks
I'd like to know why today a particular call a herring gull emits made me wince;(

Misophonia is a common autistic trait. The nervous system is oversensitive to auditory inputs to the point that they become distracting and painful. Similar issues are usually present with the other sense as well. redacted: see post

My sensory issues aren't as bad, but I recall that the voice of Nuclear Man (from Superman IV) and the warp speed sound effect from Star Trek really frightened me when I was little. And I have always had problems picking out voices and often have to have things repeated to me. It was suspected I had hearing problems, but my hearing was, in fact, excellent. I just have trouble filtering out competing information.

If I am stressed, overload, or on bad meds I sometimes experience misophonia. The worst is when peoples speaking voices cause my ears to burn and fill me with the irrational urge to lash out. Thankfully I have enough self control not to. I am just glad such sensitivity isn't my norm.

Last edited:
Ordinary toilets do not freak me out, but ones that are masirators ( ? for spelling lol) are horrible and yes, when I have encountered them, I block my ears too.

I can actually block most sounds out, if I am concentrating, but this is what I learned to do as a child. I am not sure why I did not go to my bedroom, but I would sit in a very loud room, with the tv on and yet, could fade all that out, as I got engrossed in my book.

Cannot deal with sudden noises; they actually make me have a meltdown.

A door that is not closed properly drives me up the wall.

Last edited:
I find small noises irritating especially if they are on the peripheral of my hearing. Gum popping, sniffing, tongue clicking or people trying to breath through a blocked nose or talking with a blocked nose make me go insane with rage. Fortunately I can control my feelings (just), I also find it difficult to follow conversations in crowded places and a sudden loud noise can make be lose track of what I am saying. I don't like loud sudden noises especially as a child and back then I was terrified of the loud hiss that a truck's air brakes make.

I still have a lot of trouble with sound. I often try to go shopping but have to leave since its too loud. I can't go to an ordinary movie showing, only the special sensory-friendly ones. Concerts would never work. It really limits what I do and where I can go and is perhaps my biggest ASD struggle. I have tried earplugs but then I can't have a conversation with the person next to me.

I still have a lot of trouble with sound. I often try to go shopping but have to leave since its too loud. I can't go to an ordinary movie showing, only the special sensory-friendly ones. Concerts would never work. It really limits what I do and where I can go and is perhaps my biggest ASD struggle. I have tried earplugs but then I can't have a conversation with the person next to me.
Hello what are the sensory friendly ones likei've heard about them in the UK but was wary of trying thanks

Hello what are the sensory friendly ones likei've heard about them in the UK but was wary of trying thanks
By me they lower the volume, allow less people into the theater to avoid overcrowding, and keep a dim light on during the movies because some people don't like the complete darkness.

Noises do not bother me to much unless they are loud, unexpected noises. That always makes me jump. What bothers me is to many voices. If I am hearing more than one voice that are about the same volume, I can not make sense out of either one of them. Having a conversation with someone when the TV is on is very hard for me. If someone talks to me while I am on the phone, I do not know what anyone said. A room full of talking people sounds like a bunch of chickens clucking to me.

Big time. Even minor noises are distracting to me. I work in an office and I hear people walking, typing, talking on the phone etc... I feel like I'm in the middle of many conversations throughout the day even though I may be sitting many feet away. I just can't tune the noise out. I can't even eat an apple at my desk at work b/c I feel I am being too noisy and distracting others. Even though, I'm probably just distracting myself since it sounds incredibly loud when I bite and chew and apple.

I need to have total silence when reading, which can make taking tests really difficult. Sound in general doesn't bother me, but too much noise while I try to focus can put me over the edge.

I fall asleep in front of the TV sometimes and it's weird but even loud commercials usually don't wake me up. What wakes me up practically instantly is when the TV times out and shuts itself off and the only sound in the room is the ticking clocks. TICK.... TICK.... TICK.... might as well be screaming right in my ear. Also, loud sudden noises make me instantly enraged. I manage to regain control very quickly but there is a huge reaction that is really out of all proportion. On planes I need to wear noise-cancelling headphones (why do they make the stupid crew announcements so loud anyway?). At home I never sleep better than when I wear industrial ear protection (the kind people wear when they use power tools, etc.). The thing with those is that my hearing is so good that I can carry on a conversation with them on, and it's actually easier because all the background sound is reduced.

Does anyone else SEE loud sudden noises as well as hearing them? If I have my eyes closed, or if it's dark, I see a colourful flash of light. The louder the noise, the brighter the flash. It's like my whole brain gets hit all at once.

Yeah that is the worst. After I used the bathroom, my mom had flushed it for me, while I waited outside with my ears plugged.
As a young kid I was used to an outhouse without any flushing. Seven years old I was moved to a living with a WC but I didn't dare to flush. Using a hammer wasn't a problem so I think the flushing sound is very different from the sound of a clean hit by a hammer. The adults let me ask them to flush for me every time.
Later the sound of a flushing WC wasn't a problem anymore but noisy ventilation systems in buildings became a major one.

I'd like to know why today a particular call a herring gull emits made me wince;(
In my youth I lived by the western coast of Sweden. I liked the sea but I couldn't stand the terrible noise of gull birds.
On the other side, I like heavy diesel engines very much.

Last edited:

Thanks
For some reason a light planes engine sounds like a growl
This only started in the last few years I would love to know why

New Threads

Top Bottom