• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Something You Always Carry With You

Have you guys heard of the phrase 'Every Day Carry' (EDC)?

There are loads of articles, online and in magazines; about this very notion. EDCs have become my new obsession especially because a lot of neurotypicals are also into it as well and it is something I can share with them.

My current EDC is divided into 3 things.

• On my person
  • In my bag/carry
  • My current situation
My current situation determines what the EDC should be on my person and in my bag. I have different situations usually: light travelling, work, gym, 'tech', and minor combinations of these.

My general EDC is as follows: Keys (includes Tile in case I lose my keys); Wireless earphones for syncing with my phone and cancelling outside noise when i'm overwhelmed; wallet (faraday cage designed) and my phone.

I am always thinking of variant EDC in my bag. I normally carry chargers and a laptop

It used to be a small stuffed dragon, but he became more important the longer I had him and now I'm too scared of losing him to take him out anywhere. I've had a few others, I like comfort objects. They're usually a plushie or doll.

Every now and then, I get it stuck in my head that an apocalypse or terrible disaster will strike any minute and I carry a backpack that has water, dried food, matches, a knife, med kit etc. XD

It used to be a small stuffed dragon, but he became more important the longer I had him and now I'm too scared of losing him to take him out anywhere. I've had a few others, I like comfort objects. They're usually a plushie or doll.

Every now and then, I get it stuck in my head that an apocalypse or terrible disaster will strike any minute and I carry a backpack that has water, dried food, matches, a knife, med kit etc. XD
Good thinking, probably don't have to worry about an apocalypse, but you might have to help someone out who is injured some day. Water and food are always good to have with you just in case.

Turtles are my original absolute favorite animal (they're still there, it's just that my favorite animals list has become quite long), partly because they never had to worry about leaving things they might need (ignoring the food they still need), because they bring their homes on their backs (snails bring their homes around too, but I hate touching or imagining touching nearly all moluscs, echinoderms, and many other slimy, spiky, shelly things, turtles are fine though). Now following up on that, as much as possible I kinda prefer bringing everything, seriously, me+my bags(I have 3 bags, used to be 5, that I bring to school daily)=walking stationary (missing a few things). It all feels too heavy though, so at best I bring my sling bag with me everywhere I go on an outing further than walking distance.
Now, for the extremely literal interpretation of the topic, I've got a Sword Art Online Yui's Heart Necklace (See here: https://www.amazon.com/Sword-Art-Online-Heart-Necklace/dp/B00GTSGLPU) that I wear everywhere. In the entirety of the 5 or something months since I first bought it the number of times it's left my neck can be counted on both hands (around 5).
Now I just saw it in a store one day and bought it entirely on a whim, but since then I've given it a duty and meaning. You see, sometime before I cycled through my Undertale fixation, and the result was a heart shaped copper heart, with a smaller upside down copper heart inside (This was as a project for one of my classes, and you get to keep it when you're done. Also, it was pretty crude; just a thick copper wire pretzelled into a heart-like shape). The larger heart was wrapped up with around 11 or 12 different colors of yarn, with a bit more to make the string (I found other colors of yarn and went along with it). Now the logic I made for this was that my body was SOULless, with my SOUL actually being contained in that heart. Now I also decided that both hearts contained SOULs (the smaller upside down heart was the monster soul, all the others contained human souls. They were all mine by the way, or if they weren't, they were fine with it). So, with 2 hearts and 11 or 12 colors of yarn, I made myself the proud owner of 13 or 14 SOULs, with each soul increasing the total power granted exponentially. I quite happy with my handiwork, and since then I tried keeping it on me at all times (not in the bath though, quite the pity). At some point the yarn string holding it to my neck snapped, so I was left to keep it inside my sling bag where it stays to this day. Given that background, I decided to make the "crystal" necklace my new SOUL container; thus, I am no SOULless no longer.
Now make no mistake I know that I'll have to replace it eventually; rust and breaks and all (had to glue the "crystal" to the metal holder twice now), but for now I'm content with it.

I have this chipped piece from a quarts crystal that a witch in New Orleans gave to me when I went for a tarot reading. I had never had one done for me before and since I was in New Orleans for a vacation I figured it would be the perfect place to get one. Not to say that I necessarily believe in tarot, but I've always found the occult stuff really interesting. I will say though the experience impacted me in a way I've never felt before. During the reading, she asked if she could put her hands on my hands (I wasn't totally comfortable with it, but I allowed her to do so) so that she could get a "reading" of me. We both closed our eyes and sat in silence for a moment, and in that moment I felt something lift out of my chest. It was the strangest feeling I've ever encountered. I felt physically lighter, and felt like I could really breathe for the first time. She then proceeded to give my tarot reading, all the while I was sitting in slight shock. She said that I had a light within me, and that I was going to have a family within the next 5 years or so. She gave me a piece of her giant (and I mean it was giant) quarts crystal that had apparently broken off from moving it. She said that she had held onto that piece for some reason, and felt that she should give it to me. So now I keep it on me.

I have a custom made Israeli dog tag with my name in Hebrew engraved on the front with the "Tefilat haDerech" (travelers prayer) engraved on the back.

I've taken it with me everywhere I've went for the past five years.

I have these backpacks that look like stuffed animals. I've always liked to carry a stuffed animal around with me ever since I was a kid, then I discovered these. I had a meerkat one for over a decade and got a Rocket Raccoon one for Christmas.

I love fun poems. When I find one I like, I memorize it so I can have it with me anytime I want. When I get really wound up, depressed, or just bored, I recite them to myself.

Here are some of my favorites:
The Tale of Custard the Dragon by Ogden Nash
The Twins by Henry S. Leigh
The Puffin
Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll
Eletelephony
Nautical Extravagance by Wallace Irwin
The Octopus by Ogden Nash
The Purple Cow by Gelett Burgess
And tons of short ones that I don’t even know if they have names.

I also have a google docs copy of lots of other poems that I can read anywhere on my smartphone.

I use to always carry a mineral specimen with me everywhere I went, but I can be forgetful and have lost them before so I tend not to do that now. When I was younger I used to carry a big section of cable about with me, not like the kind of cable in your home, we are talking really big cables about 3-4 inches in diameter, my dad made them and would bring me home cut sections but i had a particular favorite. I don't tend to carry anything with me now unless I am going somewhere quite far from home where i will be sleeping then Puff (my cuddly welsh dragon) Theodore (teddy) and Oliver (teddy) come along with me.

I always tend to carry in my pocket a small pocket knife, A Buck model 55 it looks exactly Buck's iconic 110 folding hunter only exactly half the size, my parents got it for me for Christmas, when I was about 10 years old.

What kind of car do you drive Judge? it sounds fancy.

The latest item? A Faraday pouch/bag to keep my wireless keyfob in.

It cuts off the signals it emits so hackers can't use a signal amplifier to eventually decrypt it and have the ability to steal my car. When I leave the car, I put the fob into the bag with is small enough to fit into my pocket.

And when I return to my car, I take the keyfob out of the pouch just as I am within a foot of the car to open the door. Otherwise if the fob is still in the pouch, the door remains locked no matter how close I am to it. :cool:

I always tend to carry in my pocket a small pocket knife, A Buck model 55 it looks exactly Buck's iconic 110 folding hunter only exactly half the size, my parents got it for me for Christmas, when I was about 10 years old.

What kind of car do you drive Judge? it sounds fancy.

It's a 2018 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback. With all the state-of-the-art safety and security features. Though I specifically ordered a manual six-speed. I still like actually driving a car, and manual transmissions are getting pretty hard to find even among new cars.

Very sporty, fun car to drive. :cool:

Last edited:
It sounds like a neat car. I like manual transmissions too, although I find them tedious at time in stop and go traffic.

It's a 2018 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback. With all the state-of-the-art safety and security features. Though I specifically ordered a manual six-speed. I still like actually driving a car, and manual transmissions are getting pretty hard to find even among new cars.

Very sporty, fun car to drive. :cool:

It sounds like a neat car. I like manual transmissions too, although I find them tedious at time in stop and go traffic.

The most tedious thing I found while looking for a new car was that some manufacturers like Chevrolet employ "start-stop" technology. Where if you slow to a complete stop, the engine deliberately shuts off. Where taking your foot off the brake enables the engine to start again. All in a lame effort to save a fraction of gas mileage. Very disconcerting to many drivers in stop and go traffic. :eek:

A feature the Mazdas don't presently have. :)

Start-Stop Technology Is Spreading (Like It or Not)

I could see that being tedious, sister had a car that would do that. I can see where it could save gas, but it seems that it would be more useful in like a semi truck or other comerircal vehicle. Says me.

The most tedious thing I found while looking for a new car was that some manufacturers like Chevrolet employ "start-stop" technology. Where if you slow to a complete stop, the engine deliberately shuts off. Where taking your foot off the brake enables the engine to start again. All in a lame effort to save a fraction of gas mileage. Very disconcerting to many drivers in stop and go traffic. :eek:

A feature the Mazdas don't presently have. :)

I would love to ask is there something that you're attached to and would always take it with you? For me it's a wallet that has pictures of Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day in it. Whenever I would go out, I would always take it with me, but when I'm inside places I put it in my pocket because I don't want to hold it in public for everyone to see.

There are times when I can't find my wallet, I get panicky. It feels like it's a part of me and I don't want to lose it. But eventually I would find it and feel totally better.

Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts.:)

I can totally relate!

When outside home, I mostly carry a black-backed jackal figurine (Collecta) with me. (It can be other animal-shaped toy or figurine, too - I have domestic goat and tiger figurines. But black-backed jackals are my totally favourite animals, so my lifelike Collecta toy is the most important.) Often it's hided in my bag, but sometimes I carry it in my hand; I don't care, what people might think. :D

When in home... I have strange addiction that has lasted many years: I'm almost incapable going to sleep without a picture of some of my own created characters*, my favourite cartoon/movie character or photo of a man I adore. I'm really strongly fond to my own characters(o.c.), and their pictures give me so much comfort that I cannot immagine my life without them.
At some point, this fixation got so far that when I had to spend few nights somewhere else (for example, while visiting a friend), I was always worried - can I survive all these nights without some of my pictures?
But I worked on that (introspection + self-therapy and such things, hehe) and now I ain't gonna drop dead, if some night I don't have a picture with me.

At present I like to sleep with a book from my favourite writer or/and little tiger figurine toy. The subject matter of this book is close to my heart, therefore it's soothing, and a tiger toy... Well, currently I found tigers comforting, too.

New Threads

Top Bottom