• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Someone in my neighborhood has a vulgar SSID.

Tony Ramirez

Single forever. Friends?
V.I.P Member
It's really ticking me off. Every time I need to connect to a new wireless device or need to check my signal with other devices, I see their SSID. I don't understand how no one complained in my neighborhood, as there are children living here. It's been up since 2020. I have to keep covering part of the other SSID or try to blur my eyes, but the wireless devices have an annoying habit of showing the strong devices at the end.

I am also having problems connecting to the 6ghz network on my phone, so I am trying to forget the network and reconnect. It is very hard to do with that vulgar SSID showing up. I take much offensive in that particular word so much that I avoid places and people who use it, and I am taking medication which helps, but before that I was on bad medication that made me gain over 100 lbs and I still had meltdowns when I heard or saw that word.

Last edited:
It's really ticking me off. Every time I need to connect to a new wireless device or need to check my signal with other devices, I see their SSID. I don't understand how no one complained in my neighborhood, as there are children living here. It's been up since 2020. I have to keep covering part of the other SSID or try to blur my eyes, but the wireless devices have an annoying habit of showing the strong devices at the end.

I am also having problems connecting to the 6ghz network on my phone, so I am trying to forget the network and reconnect. It is very hard to do with that vulgar SSID showing up. I take much offensive in that particular word so much that I avoid places and people who use it, and I am taking medication which helps, but before that I was on bad medication that made me gain over 100 lbs and I still had meltdowns when I heard or saw that word.
I'm not sure where you reside but I'm sure I read somewhere that in the States this could be potentially an FCC violation. May be worth looking into. It also may be possible to get an app that filters certain SSIDs, essentially black listing them so your device ignores them.

People suck, it seems that every time I am in danger of forgetting that they do something to remind me. Good manners cost nothing.

I can hide it in windows, but that does me no good when I need to hide it on other devices. Also, my Windows computer is wired and does not even have Wi-Fi but my MacBook, iPad, Fire tablet, Apple TV, Fire stick, Roku stick and OnePlus 11 have Wi-Fi and you can't hide it.

I agree that some people suck, but what irritates me is it's been up for about 3 years now and no one complained. Should I call my ISP? I have Spectrum, but Verizon FiOS is also available where I live, and I have no idea what ISP the offending user has.

I can hide it in windows, but that does me no good when I need to hide it on other devices. Also, my Windows computer is wired and does not even have Wi-Fi but my MacBook, iPad, Fire tablet and OnePlus 11 have Wi-Fi and you can't hide it.

I agree that some people suck, but what irritates me is it's been up for about 3 years now and no one complained. Should I call my ISP? I have Spectrum, but Verizon FiOS is also available where I live, and I have no idea what ISP the offending user has.
Without determining your offending neighbor's ISP there's no one to seriously complain to who might actually acknowledge such a complaint. The reality? Over something like that, no one in your neighborhood is likely to even bother to complain, let alone to attempt to technically filter out SSIDs depending on their device and operating system.

It's like all the incredibly irritating noises pigeons make on top of my roof. No one else seems to care when I complain. Face it, we're a in a different category when it comes to stuff that really bugs us. When the indifference of others can be as bad as that which offends us.

If anything I'd think Apple has some method of filtering them out. But others like Amazon and Roku, I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:

I don't think they would take it seriously. No laws has been broken, it's just a word you don't like. So they will probably not spend time or resources on it.

I can hide it in windows, but that does me no good when I need to hide it on other devices. Also, my Windows computer is wired and does not even have Wi-Fi but my MacBook, iPad, Fire tablet, Apple TV, Fire stick, Roku stick and OnePlus 11 have Wi-Fi and you can't hide it.

You could use a WiFi analysis app on your phone to determine the channel that the SSID is on and then set your router to the same channel to effectively block it out. But if it's channel hopping this won't be too much help.

You could try reporting it to your ISP, even if they have a different provider they are likely using the same cables and it shouldn't be hard to figure out who the SSID belongs to.

A few years ago I found a racist SSID in our neighborhood. My way of opposing it was to use the custom firmware on my router to increase the WiFi signal beyond the usual level to disrupt it by copying the SSID name but obviously no password match would mean they would try to connect to my duplicate and fail.

I suspect it worked as the SSID disappeared soon after and a new generic/default one appeared. I guess he had to reset his router to factory settings. It was a very small street though.

Using a Wifi Analyzer when I depended on wireless was certainly illuminating. Though it also lead me to switch to Ethernet given the absurd number of wireless users all around me in a somewhat dense apartment complex. No matter what I did, I couldn't seem to improve my 5.0 wireless .

I remember being so optimistic about the advent of the 5.0Ghz band, and so let down when I discovered how vulnerable it was to all sorts of interference. More so than the 2.4Ghz band. So many people using maximum signal strength by default and probably didn't have a clue. Interesting though being able to read their machine numbers to determine their router manufacturer. But it wasn't like I could do anything with all that.

Yeah, on occasion I did see some ahem..."odd" SSIDs.

Language is a funny thing. A lot of people from south america are quite shocked when they come here, some think it's funny and some are disappointed. There's a very popular Mitsubishi 4WD car that's sold here under the name Pajero.

21136_Pajero_pic_(2)-(1).jpg

Weird, but it happens.

Rumor has it that Hanns-Dieter Paschke changed the name of his rotary engine at the last minute to "Wankel".
Little known bit of trivia, but Carol Vorderman was involved with the development of that engine. Also no one can agree on it's displacement specifications as they are basically always changing while the engine is running. But it's a cool but of design that's for sure! :)

Why would it tick you off? Why do you care? I guarantee whatever that word is, every child old enough to be looking at SSIS has already seen and heard it many times.

Getting ticked off over something you have no control over is like getting ticked off at rain. It causes you distress, and the rain doesn't care.

Consider taking a chill pill. From what you have said, your level of anger at this is not broadly shared.

I just had to look this up! Surely that's a BMW car?! It would certainly be rather fitting! :smilecat: :smilecat: :smilecat: :smilecat: :smilecat: :smilecat:
I love this story because it happened in my own home town when I was a teenager. The car was developed by Chrysler Australia in Adelaide. Just as design was completed they were bought out by Mitsubishi.

The manager of Chrysler Australia thought Mitsubishi had treated him very poorly, so he named the car Pajero and then jumped on a plane back to his home country of Chile. The word didn't show up in any English dictionaries so the Japanese stuck with it.

I just hate that word. It's the reason why I have social anxiety and can't go to certain places. I was on bad antipsychotic medication that made me gain a lot of weight because of that word. I also use to have violent meltdowns which caused property damage because of that word. I been handing it better since on seroquel.

I love this story because it happened in my own home town when I was a teenager. The car was developed by Chrysler Australia in Adelaide. Just as design was completed they were bought out by Mitsubishi.

The manager of Chrysler Australia thought Mitsubishi had treated him very poorly, so he named the car Pajero and then jumped on a plane back to his home country of Chile. The word didn't show up in any English dictionaries so the Japanese stuck with it.
That's pretty hilarious! Something similar happened with the Mitsubishi Starion! It was supposed to be called the Stallion but owing to a mispronunciation, it ended up with Starion. I actually quite like it as a name! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom