• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social Status in high school?

BradT

Just out of curiosity, what was some of you all's social status? I was well liked, but I wouldn't say too popular, because my communication skills were bad. I had friends inside school, but I wouldn't hang with them outside of school, it wasn't them, it was me.

bottom of the social food chain. i'm kind of like a lamp at school. i sometimes talk to people, but i'd never go so far as to try and find friends. i'm good at making friends, just not good at keeping them for more than a few months.

I was well-liked and most people were nice to me, but at the same time I was pretty much a loner. I only had one friend, whom I sat with at lunch. The rest were acquaintances whom I only chatted with occasionally. I mostly preferred to be alone.

High school?
I'd say most of the students didn't notice me, and if they didn't like me, they didn't let it show. I did, however, have a small group of people who loved my sassiness and no-nonsense habit of challenging everything that didn't make sense, and those would have been considered the supershy nerdy kids and the one or 2 minority kids. So I guess I was some kind of a nerdy hero who stood up and talked back to teachers? And then the "too cool for school" bunch got an interest in me, but it wasn't requited. They would however stand up for me every once in a while when needed. Definitely didn't help me learn to zip it ;)

Elementary and junior high were horrible and traumatic, on the other hand.

Just out of curiosity, what was some of you all's social status? I was well liked, but I wouldn't say too popular, because my communication skills were bad. I had friends inside school, but I wouldn't hang with them outside of school, it wasn't them, it was me.
Weird, strange, unknown. That was to people who weren't friends. Friends thought I was dark, sardonic, weird, silly.

I was really disliked by my class for reasons unknown to me still (I was bullied for various things like being very tall, barely speaking, doing the work in class etc.) but I had two friends, one of whom I'm still friends with over 10 years later. So yeah, really unpopular - the person that others would complain about having to sit next to or work with.

omg. low. still is.

I had a small group of five or six friends I spent most of my time with, we were never the popular crowd, I do remember spending our lunch break in the drama club room in the basement, sitting on the stairs of the small bleacher...

There were three social groups in our high school. There were the normies, who made up about two thirds of the population, and who either despised or ignored me. There were the smart kids, which was a problem because I was the only top student between the 88s and 89s, so most of them were years behind me. Then there were the real rebels. These were the people I genuinely got along with and I have no idea why.

Also, there was this weird division by years. The 87s generally kept to themselves or hung out with the 86s. This might be because they were the two smartest classes in the school's history. Only the 90s would have had a hope of hanging with them. The 88s through 91s ended up grouped together. (Classes being small enough that there actually were differences.)

I was pretty much a joke in high school. But people didn't tease me they teased my brother about me behind my back so my brother didn't want to be associated with me. I'm 6'4 and I don't have the friendliest face so no one teased me openly. I wasn't in special ed I was in advanced AP classes but because there rumor started that I was autistic, girls didn't want to be seen talking to me so I was never invited to parties. The one time I attended a school dance I asked a girl to dance and she ran away from me. She didn't say no she just literally ran away. My experiences in high school turned me into the misanthrope I am today.

I was what I call one of the "popular unpopular people". I had a few friends, but we were into things that other kids weren't and were pretty far down the food chain but we weren't so unpopular that people avoided us. Most would talk to us, even if just to say hello in passing but they weren't actively looking to hang out with us. For most of high school, I didn't see my "friends" outside of school. When I got to sixth form (17/18) I got some new friends and I did see most of them outside of school.

High school?
I'd say most of the students didn't notice me, and if they didn't like me, they didn't let it show. I did, however, have a small group of people who loved my sassiness and no-nonsense habit of challenging everything that didn't make sense, and those would have been considered the supershy nerdy kids and the one or 2 minority kids. So I guess I was some kind of a nerdy hero who stood up and talked back to teachers? And then the "too cool for school" bunch got an interest in me, but it wasn't requited. They would however stand up for me every once in a while when needed. Definitely didn't help me learn to zip it ;)

Elementary and junior high were horrible and traumatic, on the other hand.
I had my little squad, 2 of my 3 friends were aspie.

High school is a mixed bag of thoughts... Jr High sucked 100%

High school sucked Freshman and mostly Sophomore, but Junior and Senior a lot turned around.

I aways had good grades. I worked very hard after school and on weekends... I actually was balancing 3 different jobs at one time. I worked at the Farm Store, the gas station, and on the hay farm with my Gramps and my Uncle. I didn't say much, mostly knew what I wanted... But I saw how shallow people were...

I worked my butt off over 3 straight years saving every penny possible to get my own vehicle. I had an old used up farm truck of Gramps that left me walking more than not...

I remember driving up to school in mid Junior year... in a nearly new jet black Chevrolet Blazer. I owned it. I paid for it with my own 2 hands... I shocked a bunch of people and suddenly a bunch of people wanted to be my friend... How sad is that? How sad is it that I saw right through them?

I just stayed my normal self and moved on, but I gained lots of confidence in myself through those years...
I wasn't super popular and I started growing physically and mentally in my Sophomore/Junior year, so I was changing fast and people noticed it and lots of the BS let up. I only had a few really close friends and my cousins... It sucked a little cause I was younger than most everyone and more immature I guess...

They would be talking drinking and sex and I would be thinking about my chores, or school work, my dog...
I just didn't ever get into the stuff they got into (or the trouble they got into... geez).

So, I left school on a decent note. I had teachers who had come to really like and cared for me genuinely...
I won Texas Ag Mechanics Star Farmer award. I left school with one fine truck and a few good friends who helped me wear that thing out over the next 10 years. Then I got married and it was just like a repeat of my younger life... Now I'm graduating from that marriage (I think others call it a divorce) and I'm just going to freaking LIVE... on my terms from here out.

Whats weird is how I can look back and see strange patterns in my own life. I cant see them going forward, but looking back... wow.

I was a bit of an outcast. I did quite well in school, excelled at some subjects and wasn't actively teased, but I just didn't really register on anyone's radar. That was until I began dressing more alternatively in a school otherwise exclusively populated by jocks. I was pretty much ostracized from that point on. I had a handful of friends and in the early '00's, ironically, I had a bit of a following when being 'Alternative' was hip for a few seconds (woo, the Avril Lavigne era!) Queen of the Outcasts, I guess? If I had to equate myself to anything from a show I'd mostly be Lindsay from Freaks&Geeks.

rehost%2F2016%2F9%2F13%2Ff90cc8e7-193d-4397-8f99-42ab2de41bfe.jpg

I was pretty much a joke in high school. But people didn't tease me they teased my brother about me behind my back so my brother didn't want to be associated with me. I'm 6'4 and I don't have the friendliest face so no one teased me openly. I wasn't in special ed I was in advanced AP classes but because there rumor started that I was autistic, girls didn't want to be seen talking to me so I was never invited to parties. The one time I attended a school dance I asked a girl to dance and she ran away from me. She didn't say no she just literally ran away. My experiences in high school turned me into the misanthrope I am today.

People are just stupid sometimes... I do know how you feel, but also KNOW you are also much more than that. We let this crap all but strangle us (in our heads)... I did it, I still catch myself doing it, but its a lie we tell ourselves...

Sure we may not be Brad Pitt in "Troy", but we aren't monsters either...

Be kind to yourself Bro, if you don't... Who will? We put out what we expect back.
Expect more because you are more. : )

I was really disliked by my class for reasons unknown to me still (I was bullied for various things like being very tall, barely speaking, doing the work in class etc.) but I had two friends, one of whom I'm still friends with over 10 years later. So yeah, really unpopular - the person that others would complain about having to sit next to or work with.

And my guess is that if people really knew you - they would find you are intelligent and able to do so much more than they can even imagine... : )

New Threads

Top Bottom