• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social norms

forced social interaction

You hit the preverbal "nail on the head"

ASD + "forced interaction" = confusion (which is maybe what took place with Sherlock) and what takes with me...

I don't think its that we DON'T want to participate near as much as it is the effort it takes, and the logic it might NOT make, to do that certain thing (NO MATTER what that thing is)...

Saying "good morning" for instance just opens Pandoras box for me... What if they want to suddenly stop and talk about stuff and engage into some conversation, or use that pause to think about something to chew my a** over?

I think on stuff like this all the time. Maybe we are subconsciously sometimes already looking 2 steps down the road, out of our need for this reality to make sense to us, and the NEED to avoid any unnecessary conflict as much as possible.

So in my ASD head "good morning" can and has (in the past) turned into a conversation, and or a butt chewing... To me THAT IS NOT a GOOD MORNING. : )

ASD + "forced interaction" = confusion
Yes, I agree - part of the issue is not knowing what the intention of the other person is. I read somewhere that NTs aren't just talking, they are also doing something in talking to you, manipulating, perhaps with good intent or perhaps with bad. It's hard for us on the spectrum to determine what that is, we tend to take things at face value. It's difficult to trust people when you don't know what they are really 'doing' - what their intentions are. The instinct is to keep away.

New Threads

Top Bottom