• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social Isolation

juffur

V.I.P Member
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and I figured I would make a post about my current situation.

I'm unofficially diagnosed with Apsergers Syndrome (still trying to find an affordable clinic to get diagnosed). Over the last few years, i've become more and more socially isolated, and it's reached a point where I literally have no social life. I still manage to go to college and work, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to do so. As a result of all this, I've developed severe depression, and I seem to be stuck in this endless loop that I can't pull myself out of. This summer I was forced to drop my summer class, and now I have 2.5 months with nothing to keep myself busy, and the depression seems to be getting worse and is very persistent.

I've been trying to get help for awhile, and I've been unable to do so because it's too expensive. I'm a full time student with no insurance of my own, and I only work 1 day a week. It seems the more I try to get help, the less help I actually get.

Has anyone else been through severe isolation and depression like this? How did you come out of it?

Well it's not easy to get out but yet it's easy to get out.

One way is to find the positive in the negative. But we are not saints so we get tripped by negativity once in a while after that try to find something beautiful in your life.

Do you have any interests or hobbies?

ahhh damn. I know what that's like. For me, working obsessively on a project keeps me sane. I do as much as possible related to it (watch movies about it, read books, articles, go to lectures & volunteer).

If you're at the I-can-barely-get-out-of-bed part of depression then I suggest baby steps... just pick something that's not impossibly exhausting like having a shower, doing your laundry, cleaning out your fridge, making a nice dinner, going for a walk etc.

If you're feeling like your life is totally ****ed then maybe a fresh start is a good idea. I tend to be really impulsive at this point and pack up and move to a new city or do something reckless like wander around hitch-hiking. Not that I suggest that. But if you feel the urge to come to Canada you can crash on my couch for awhile... so long as you're not a raging psychopath. :)

Also does your college have a counseling centre? They are often free to students and if they can't diagnose you directly they can help you find someone who can or get the funding through some low-income program.

Anyways I hope things get better for you!

My girlfriend can't do anything without a plan, or expectations of what will happen and be expected. She can make plans, although doing so, and having to be the one who makes it all happen takes a toll on her. Over time she will get depressed in such a situation. The more depressed she is, the harder it is for her to plan. So she ends up stuck at home.

If i make the plans, and i take her out and stuff. Then she feels better and is a lot more able to plan herself when she has to. Do you have anyone in your family that could make plans and take you out and what not?

I feel your pain too sometimes Mindwar, I was the same at times, especially more next year and when I was going through my depressive stage.

I didn't really want to talk to anyone or want to go out anywhere and was always afraid of doing things until I got to the point where I literally had to push myself out of it.

By the way, I shall welcome you to the forums. :D

Do you happen to use the phone to anyone by any chance?

I've been trying to occupy my time with interests, but honestly, I don't really enjoy them anymore. I've been attempting to force myself out of the house for a day, but I still haven't been able to bring myself to doing it.

I've tried getting help at my school to no avail. Really not sure what I'm going to do now.

On the nights that my friends and I stay home, I isolate myself on purpose, so that I can have 3 to 5 hours of free time to post on various autism sites and listen to music.

There are days I have to force myself to get up and get out. Having a full-time job definitely helps because I am not into living in a cardboard box and eating from dumpsters and there is nobody else to take care of me, so if I don't do it, that is where I will end up. Also I have cats I am responsible for as well. No, it is not easy and it does take a lot of effort. People think I am so "brave" because I am involved in so many things. They don't know the half of it. It's not bravery at all. Otherwise I will sit home and brood and drink.

New Threads

Top Bottom