• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social Anxiety?

I am now 41 and have a four year old boy (Quintin). I've been diagnosed with Social Anxiety & Generalized Anxiety disorder . The social anxiety I got treatment for ( group therapy ) it actually worked for the most part, Ive always used alcohol to calm me before social gatherings. Prolem is it can get out of hand. Group therapy does work...it's hard at first... My Anxiety has now switched to concern about my son.

I have social anxiety - it's a pain in the posterior. I get very anxious in certain situations and it takes a lot for me to not turn around and bolt for the nearest exit. I have problems talking in groups, talking to new people, approaching counters to purchase items, etc. Mindfulness techniques has helped me with my anxiety. Mindfulness is when you put your mind back in the here and now, thereby preventing your anxiety from escalating. For instance, you can visualise your anxiety going away, or you can concentrate on your sensations like your breathing, the temperature of the environment, the texture of your clothing, etc. It can be hard to put into practice at first, but I've found it helpful to deal with situations.

I don't get social anxiety - but I do care how I portray to other people, and other people's responses too

Sometimes when talking to an other mother at my sons school, I'll get on a roll then I'll realize I'm off topic or ramble on....oops
Since the cognitive therapy I don't care as much if I seem a little odd.

Have always had social anxiety ever since i can remember. Am 43 now and am still socially awkward around people. At school was never invited anywhere by classmates. Have never been to a party or nightclub in my life. I know now i wouldnt like nightclubs with loud music,flashing lights and too many people and plus im unable to dance as am not a natural mover! Yet i hate not having many friends to talk to if comfortable with them. Am barely holding down a voluntary job by the skin of my teeth as some people there i find uncomfortable. Glad i do only 2 days a week. Yet i know some people dont want to know me because i am very different from them and lead a very unusual life from them so they cannot relate to me and if you dont have much life experience and have many problems people run away from you. This is my experience anyway!

I suspect I could have it. For a while I just thought I was shy and then I started to realize it may be anxiety.

I suspect I could have it. For a while I just thought I was shy and then I started to realize it may be anxiety.

Ya makes sense. My close friends have the idea that Im just "shy" when actually I have a degree of social anxiety around new people. Not at all around the friends that Im already close to but definetly around new people. People that dont have a social anxiety problem often confuse it with shyness

Ironically, I'm usually OK offling new people & chatting with acquaintances. It's supposed 'friends' I mostly can't get on with! &, if I can't have a few friends, I've run out of energy for the usual chit chat.

I'm not comfortable meeting old friends that I meet everyday, face to face. Their eyes are kinda strange. New friends? Hi :)

In comparison to most posters here, I get a very mild version. The main problem is other people's reactions to any 'anxiety', for me. Or when the anxiety is being blamed for difficulties that arise. Certainly, I'm not bothered about meeting new people, particularly. I don't usually have problems at that stage.

My daughter has PDD-NOS and because of peer bullying/ teacher misunderstandings during her middle school years she developed depression and Social Anxiety Disorder as well. She was not able to finish high school because of it, and is now studying for her GED. We are trying different therapies to help her, along with vocational and independent living training.

By the way Social Anxiety is defined by a marked "fear of judgement" - that is, the reason for being anxious in social situations, or trying something new, has an underlying fear in being judged by others. Which means that many people with Aspbergers and PDD-NOS will be affected. Why? Because being different in the first place puts you in a position where people can, and will, judge you for that very difference... cruel.

In our area, there is a group called The Courage Center. They work with people who have all types of disabilities, physical, mental and emotional. I have heard good things about them and we are going to start working with them ...

I get social anxiety even with people I'm close to. The only "person" I don't have anxiety around is my dog, and she's not really a human :p

I'm like that all tho i could never put my finger onit, when i was at school i was awfull i never used to talk to hardly anyone and spent most if ny time on my own, im still abit like it know, i find it hard to go into shops on my own oer use public transport even at work im not that talkative sometimes i panic and freak out when im arround loads of people, i get scared ocasionaly when im even with my friends and were out walking iv recently gone swimming with ny best friend which wasent to had but i still struggled iv come a long way in the past 2yars this may

I have social anxiety-- always have.

The older I get the better it is in some ways, I think, but then again, I try to avoid new situations and new people as much as possible.

I do not do well in large groups of people, parties, etc and do not really know how to act socially "normal", hence, I avoid it generally.

I have social anxiety,but its gotten a lot better since I interned on a political campaign.Its still there,like I think itd be really hard to talk to a stranger and get to know them outside the Internet,as I havent in years. As far as talking to people on Skype or on the phone,i'm not awkward at all really.
I used to get super freaked out before any social interaction-this usually only happens for group activities now,which I rarely do.

I most likely do have social anxiety (and probably SAD). I can't go near almost anyone at my school, I can't go near groups, I can't walk in front of people from the fear they'd take the piss out of me (which they normally do), and I can't go near crowds because the stupid students will behave like arseholes and purposely crush me.

New Threads

Top Bottom