• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

So this is the big drawing I'd been working on, would love some feedback

Misery

Amalga Heart
V.I.P Member
IrisTwo.jpg

Okay so after like 5000 years of scribbling, I can present to you this splotchy drawing.

This is the same girl I'd done a drawing of before, I named her Iris, but this time in a different pose/view that isnt just straight on. I also wanted to do more than just the face.

Normally I prefer to work with physical media but I'm relatively certain that trying to do this with colored pencils would have driven me to utter madness. So, I used the iPad. It's what I got the stupidly expensive thing for, after all. I used Procreate, specifically. I have a Skillshare subscription, there's a nice course there about how to use Procreate, I've been going through that recently.

I must reiterate that I really dont know what I'm doing (with drawing, I mean, not Procreate). I'm just winging it here. Which is also why she's got pointed ears, if you were wondering, I cant draw normal ones. I tried (with the first drawing). It didnt work. So that's the story of her weird ears.

Also if I have to redraw the nose just one more bloody time, I'll stab a clown. That was the hardest part of making this.

I dont know how to draw folds in fabric and didnt feel like finding out right now, so I didnt do that.

And yes, I know my lines are a little wobbly. I've decided at this point to just sorta embrace that and run with it, rather than go completely insane trying to do otherwise.

So.... yeah. That's that. I'd absolutely love any feedback that any of you might have. The more I can learn from this, the better, so let me know what you think.

You can draw hands really well unlike me. I just go the powerpuff girls baguette route or using circles for hands like in South Park.

IMG_2247.jpeg

You have chosen a dificult perspective, so there is a closer and bigger arm and a far and smaller arm. Same with eyes. I would say its fairly well done.

There are some details:

From the position of the neck and the arms, the head should no be straigth. It should be with some angle towards the arm who hold it.

If you wanted to draw the head straight, it should be more centered. Its closer to one arm than to the other.

The smaller arm is not wide enought at the armpit.

The bigger arm has very small distance from shoulder to elbow.

It seems that you did not the sketch part. That its usually done first to keep an eye on proportions and then drawing on the "skech skeleton".

The nose is good if it was a lateral view, but from the angle you choosed its different so its not perfect. But I would not say its bad either.

Most of the shadows are nice and correct. Hair should also cast shadows on the face and the T-shirt shadows should continue on the arm.

Those are just details.

I like the fingers and miss the nails.

I would say its a very nice drawing, hope you enjoyed doing it.

The nose is good if it was a lateral view, but from the angle you choosed its different so its not perfect. But I would not say its bad either.

Yeah, I just could not for the life of me figure this out.

The original design for the character (that colored pencil drawing I did last time) had a very specific way that the nose was drawn, and I actually quite liked how that looked but when I tried to replicate that in perspective it was totally awful. I kept trying different styles over and over, nothing worked. Just could not get it down. Musta spent like 90 minutes just doing that.

If there's any specific advice you can think of for the nose specifically, I'm all ears. It really was by far the hardest part of all.

I'm not trying to go for like, total realism or something... but I dont know where to start with this. I really had wanted to do the nose in the same style as before but in this perspective, but, well... ever played Minecraft? You know the Villagers? Yeah. It kept coming out like those guys (except not blocky). Which... yeah, that wouldnt do.
It seems that you did not the sketch part. That its usually done first to keep an eye on proportions and then drawing on the "skech skeleton".

I'm not really sure what this part means. How does it work?

I like the fingers and miss the nails.

I did think of doing the nails actually. But that was at the very end and my patience had run out. Well, also the whole thing had become a very confusing mess of layers. Procreate is honestly pretty great, but there's still a lot to learn yet.

Sometimes I wonder just how professional artists manage to constantly do big projects without going crazy. Like I do this and I'm likely gonna need a recharge for a week before I sit down at that desk again.

...Or not. It occurs to me suddenly that nothing hurts. Probably all the more reason to keep at it.

I do intend on drawing more of this character though one way or another, I've gotten quite attached to her. I also would later like to transfer this to actual paper with colored pencil. Never tried doing that before though.

You can draw hands really well unlike me.

Actually I think I clipped part of the pinky off somehow. Like, the tip looks all wrong.

I only just now spotted that.

Yeah, I just could not for the life of me figure this out.
At the stage of drawing you are, you should be coping instead of figuring things out. Its like you are trying to figure out how to build Eifel tower from Scratch instead of studing enginneering or architect.

You see an anime, push pause, copy and change small details.

Or you follow a Youtube tutorial on drawing manga. In this case you search: How to draw manga 3/4 view.

Time spent learning from a tutorial will pay back later.

The original design for the character (that colored pencil drawing I did last time) had a very specific way that the nose was drawn, and I actually quite liked how that looked but when I tried to replicate that in perspective it was totally awful. I kept trying different styles over and over, nothing worked. Just could not get it down. Musta spent like 90 minutes just doing that.

The link I provided should give you a good idea of how to do that.

If there's any specific advice you can think of for the nose specifically, I'm all ears. It really was by far the hardest part of all.

You can use a mirror, do a selfie, use a toy model for reference...

Thats for the nose and for everything else. Manga noses are a reflect of the main forms and shadows of actual noses. The just use very few lines.

I'm not trying to go for like, total realism or something... but I dont know where to start with this. I really had wanted to do the nose in the same style as before but in this perspective, but, well... ever played Minecraft? You know the Villagers? Yeah. It kept coming out like those guys (except not blocky). Which... yeah, that wouldnt do.

Tutorials will do it. You dont need to invent manga/anime drawing by yourself from Scratch.
I'm not really sure what this part means. How does it work?

A good drawing start with the main proportions drawed. People do not copy from their heads, they figure out the anatomy proportions first and then draw on that previous anatomy drawing. Its easier to see than to explain:

Gesture drawing (Croquis)

I did think of doing the nails actually. But that was at the very end and my patience had run out. Well, also the whole thing had become a very confusing mess of layers. Procreate is honestly pretty great, but there's still a lot to learn yet.

Sometimes I wonder just how professional artists manage to constantly do big projects without going crazy.

They learn first. Copy, tutorial, practice, get the perspective, shadows, hair, etc practiced a lot and then they just flow.

Its like walking. Its ok to know the theory, but practice is needed.

Like I do this and I'm likely gonna need a recharge for a week before I sit down at that desk again.

...Or not. It occurs to me suddenly that nothing hurts. Probably all the more reason to keep at it.

I do intend on drawing more of this character though one way or another, I've gotten quite attached to her. I also would later like to transfer this to actual paper with colored pencil. Never tried doing that before though.

Actually I think I clipped part of the pinky off somehow. Like, the tip looks all wrong.

I only just now spotted that.
Its important to enjoy the drawing process, its a journey. People who just focus on the goal dont enjoy journeys.

Let me know if my info was usefull.

Hugs.

Yes!!!

I recognized her right away.

My brain is not in analyzing mode at the moment, but I would like to offer encouragement to keep it up. Your art is evolving before our eyes and your openness to feedback shows great potential for learning. Thank you for sharing, for being open to improvement, and for bringing these characters to life.

I personally think you did a good job. Even flaws and mistakes can bring charm in thier own way. Art, like life, is trial and error.

I am a fan of pointy ears, personally. Though I can agree the ears can be tricky. Hands are a huge obstacle for me personally when drawing. Feet can be hard too but not to the same degree as hands, for me.

Any feedback I give will just be my perspective, taking into consideration everything.

First of all it is nearly impossible for me to draw or paint humans. I have no patience or desire for it, even though I feel I have an eye for it as I study everything much, including humans, not in a creepy way but just to figure them out character wise.

Having said that, I usually do not comment on art, as I can appreciate all styles, as I have no way of knowing whether the creation was intended that way, to show their own unique style, or it is just a product of their creative abilities and limitations. So, how can I give much feedback otherwise, and as if all creations looked like 100% photos, I would get bored quickly. That is what makes art attractive-- the differences.

So, with regards to Sophie's creation, really only a few things jumped out at me that I would have done differently, if I had that ability, as everything else looked very presentable as an art creation, and well done showing most everything in somewhat proportional, realistic or believable ways, as most person's viewing drawings will not nitpick everything but appreciate the attempts and/or unique style.

Having said that, the right hand looks a bit awkward to me though with that L/V there. I know the darkened area was the shadow like of the palm area but I could not tell if they were two fingers you were trying to create there or a crease of the palm with no fingers. I would change that some. Also, for the hair I could not tell whether it was supposed to be one hairpiece but different colors or a hairpiece on top of the original hair, because if it was supposed to be one hair, then there should not be a thin white space separating the two. The shadows seemed somewhat correct in many spots, but like you had not too noticeable shadow contrast on the left side of her hair (right side from how we view it) when compared to the other side, and no lighted non-shadow part on her nose which could have been more appropriate.

The shadows thus I would have made darker throughout, to create more contrast and appeal, and yes creases in clothes and more accurate ears (not as pointed) if the desire was more realism there. And if the desire is to make smoother lines, but not all styles do that. So, some of the advice I gave depends too on the specific style you want, your patience, abilities or desires there. Like I said, not all art is supposed to look like photos, but it can be somewhat or pretty good representations, or showing the strengths or focuses desired of the artist, if not be even more character looking. Change what only you want or can thus. The drawing is far better what I can do, in terms of those other details like face, arms, shirt, angles and so forth. So, well done there!

Overall, besides the mentioned, I thought everything else was done pretty well based on my specific taste which can differ from others.

Last edited:
View attachment 104144

Okay so after like 5000 years of scribbling, I can present to you this splotchy drawing.

This is the same girl I'd done a drawing of before, I named her Iris, but this time in a different pose/view that isnt just straight on. I also wanted to do more than just the face.

Normally I prefer to work with physical media but I'm relatively certain that trying to do this with colored pencils would have driven me to utter madness. So, I used the iPad. It's what I got the stupidly expensive thing for, after all. I used Procreate, specifically. I have a Skillshare subscription, there's a nice course there about how to use Procreate, I've been going through that recently.

I must reiterate that I really dont know what I'm doing (with drawing, I mean, not Procreate). I'm just winging it here. Which is also why she's got pointed ears, if you were wondering, I cant draw normal ones. I tried (with the first drawing). It didnt work. So that's the story of her weird ears.

Also if I have to redraw the nose just one more bloody time, I'll stab a clown. That was the hardest part of making this.

I dont know how to draw folds in fabric and didnt feel like finding out right now, so I didnt do that.

And yes, I know my lines are a little wobbly. I've decided at this point to just sorta embrace that and run with it, rather than go completely insane trying to do otherwise.

So.... yeah. That's that. I'd absolutely love any feedback that any of you might have. The more I can learn from this, the better, so let me know what you think.
Your artwork is very beautiful! Congratulations.

While I can't give any specific criticism here that you're looking for since I'm neither knowledgeable nor have I done anything artistic in ages, I can say that your art just keeps getting better! I remember your first couple of threads where you posted your artwork as you were starting out (I think? not sure), and I've gotta say that this is a step up.

I've got a few questions to ask before I forget and because I'm curious:

How long have you been doing art?
Is Iris based on someone/something else, or did you come up with the idea?

Last edited:
My only feedback is that I truly think it is amazing. I'm very proud of you for keeping up with your artwork, especially considering everything going on in your life right now!

I'm not good at critiquing art because there are so many different styles and I don't think any of them are bad or wrong. I know that a lot of people don't think it is subjective, but I do.
Hands are one of the hardest things for me to draw and I think you absolutely nailed it here! I'm impressed.

This is truly a great drawing, Sophie. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future!

View attachment 104144

Its certainly neat work! Soon, you wanna try shading and stuff in the future?

New Threads

Top Bottom