• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

So I just need to shout!!

Mattymatt

Imperfectly Perfect
I am so frustrated with the constant uphill battle that life has become as of late that I just want to scream at the top of my lungs. By now, I am sure everyone on here is about sick of me, and to be honest, I am sick of me. Still, this forum provides a nice outlet for frustration. I am sick of the slow progress towards getting off of disability and finding full time work. I've never been a patient person; impatience is generally a recurring theme of my life.

I've found a part-time, 16 hour a week gig as a security guard and I look forward to the two days a week that I work in this capacity. However, I cannot afford to turn it into a full time gig and lose my disability payments. I need the combined income of disability and my part-time job to be able to make ends meet. To call this frustrating is an understatement. The nice thing about this 16 hour job is that it's from 3:00PM-11:00PM and it's literally guarding an empty room. I never see anyone and can read or watch Netflix on my phone all night long.

The only bright spark right now is that I have a job interview for Court Security Officer position which is a state job. At best, it is a long shot but it's something I would really like and probably do okay at. I say it's a long shot because state jobs are near impossible to get unless you know someone and I don't know anyone. Even my psychiatrist believes that this would be a good job to get but she concedes that it's a long shot.

Anyhow, I need to show Social Security that I am making an effort towards viable, long term employment so I have an interview scheduled for February 13th at 11:00AM. It would really make my day to get the job and I intend to show up to it in a suit and tie. I am trying not to get my hopes up though.

In the USA? Department of Labor has good info. The first one they mention is EARN.
Hiring People with Disabilities | U.S. Department of Labor

NYS has a 55c program that enables us to get entry level state jobs without taking the state civil service exams. Maybe your state has something similar?

Not in USA? Then I beg ignorance.

Meanwhile, I am not sick of you. I am sick of the freezing cold weather though.

I'm glad you can shout. Best of luck on your interview, it would be fantastic if you did get that job.

New Threads

Top Bottom