• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sleep Items / Materials

Gummi27

V.I.P Member
Hello.

I have a blanket I've had since I was two years of age that I can't seem to sleep without. It has the perfect texture to it and doesn't get too hot. No matter where I go or what bed I sleep in, blanky is always there with me under the covers. I'm pretty tiny, so it covers most of my lower half, but I wish it could cover my whole body.

Last year I spent weeks braving the public at a fabric store trying to find materials to recreate it in the form of a weighted blanket. Still too afraid to make the jump. edit: by jump I mean to another blanket that isn't Blanky.

How about you? Any special sleep items you can't seem to do without or prefer?

Last edited:
The sheets and pillows must have the right feel against my skin and, yep, blankets.
I don't have a certain one that I need every night, but, I must have one made of soft fleece
material. Even in the summer, I couldn't sleep without one of them.
I really like memory foam mattresses too.
Haven't slept on a regular one in so long, don't know if I could.
I also use a contoured memory foam pillow and put a thin regular pillow on top of that encased in
microfiber fleece pillow case.

I have two cat pillows that I keep on each side of my pillow.
They are soft and cute and I like to be able to touch them.
Add a few soft led flicker candles around the room, ambient music and my ceiling fan...
Comfort time!

So, yes, I'm pretty picky when it comes to sleep items.

I sleep with about 6 pillows, if I don't have enough I can't get comfortable physically or mentally.

I have several sleep aids. I must have a silk pillowcase because it's soft on my face and stays colder than cotton fabric. The room has to be cold so I can pull the bedspread up to my chin to keep my shoulders warm.

I can rarely fall asleep unless the TV is turned on, low volume, I think because of all the years I traveled for work and lived alone in hotel rooms where I used TV as companionship. My husband turns off the TV when he comes to bed because I'm already asleep by then. I repetitively watch the same dumb stuff on Netflix to lull myself to sleep. Lately, it's been a BBC series called Father Brown, previously it was Agatha Christie's Poirot, and it has even been Murder She Wrote in the past. I usually fall asleep within 10 minutes so I rarely see the end of any show and just start watching the same one again night after night until I actually see the full episode (and learn who the killer is).

My two cats fight over who gets to sleep on my feet so it feels weird if no cat is parked at the bottom of my side of the bed.

I get sleepy right after dinner every night so I'm usually asleep in bed by 8:00 or 8:30 pm. Then I wake up about 3:30 or 4:00 a.m. I'm definitely a morning person.

Last edited:
I like having my cats on the bed with me when I sleep. Other than that, no, not really. When I'm tense I usually have Netflix playing in the background to help me sleep, otherwise I prefer a quiet bedroom.

Cotton sheets only, cotton pillowcases, in winter a duvet with a cotton cover, several all wool hudson's bay blankets that I use in spring and autumn and a quilt made by my Gram.
Still using grandmother's white cotton sheets from the 1950's and cotton pillowcases. At the end of the second world war she bought many sets of sheets, there were ten new sets that I use now.

Don't know what will happen when I run out of these pure cotton sheets, which are stiff and bright white. Haven't been able to find anything like them since, the cotton sheets and fitted sheets that are available are 'sateen' finished which I find cold on the skin. May have to get used to something else eventually, related to sheets. My husband uses his weighted blanket all year round no matter hot it is.

Last edited:
Cotton sheets only, cotton pillowcases, in winter a duvet with a cotton cover, several all wool hudson's bay blankets that I use in spring and autumn and a quilt made by my Gram.
Still using grandmother's white cotton sheets from the 1950's and cotton pillowcases. At the end of the second world war she bought many sets of sheets, there were ten new sets that I use now.

Don't know what will happen when I run out of these pure cotton sheets, which are stiff and bright white. Haven't been able to find anything like them since, the cotton sheets and fitted sheets that are available are 'sateen' finished which I find cold on the skin. My husband uses his weighted blanket all year round. May have to get used to something else eventually, related to sheets.

Same here for the 100% cotton sheets, preferably with the highest thread count I can find so they are thick but gradually soften over years of washing. You should be able to find them online or at a really good department store. I have sheets that must be 30+ years old. Kinda like some of my clothes that I refuse to part with even though they are frayed and have holes. I'm too old and ornery to care what people think about my casual clothes.

I have only one set of sheets, they are very old flannel with most of the fuzzy nap worn off, my blue blankie, two very soft throw pillows for snuggling and putting over my ears and eyes like a tent for comfort. I have to have my iPad under my pillow so i can listen to audio books or meditation music. My mattress is firm but topped with thick foam. Last but not least, i just bought a mattress cover that is filled with down alternative filling and Im going to put that on the bed soon.
The bedroom has to be cool and quiet, but white noise is good. I have two air filters running for fresh air circulation. And my dog has to be on the bed in a place where i know where she is in case i want to pet her.
Of course i still cant sleep so i end up taking something.

Well in the UK at the moment the nights are quite warm (a bit too warm sometimes, I can normally sleep through anything, but lately I'm having trouble cos it's so warm) so I don't take anything, during the Winter months though when it's a bit colder I take a warmed up Wheat bag (2 and half minutes on full in the Microwave).

Buckwheat hull pillow is absolute must- so soft and cool. Conforms right to my neck. Sheets, cases, blankets must be 100% cotton. No poly cotton fabrics. On cold nights, 100% pure wool blankets. Heavy layers of blankets are wonderful. Wish I could afford a buckwheat hull mattress. Cannot stand those foam mattresses...all that synthetic junk is felt right through the sheets. Same for pillows stuffed with poly fiber, or foams. Too hot! Don’t like the gel ones either.

I cant sleep without my eye mask, I have difficulty sleeping if there is any light at all in the room, I need darkness to sleep. I used to use earplugs, but long term it leads to cerumen impaction in the ear canal that is annoying to get rid of. I have a preference for silk sheets or a light cotton like egyptian cotton, heavy cottons irritate my skin. I also have pillows that stay cool and don't get warm from resting your head on them.

Has anyone tried bamboo sheets? I had a set at my old place and they were NICE. Soft and cool, but not slippery smooth like polyester. Not heavy and stiff, but firm in a non stretchy way so there werent wrinkles. Cant have wrinkles.
The washing instructions were complicated and they were hard to wash in a top loader because the weave was so tight they would balloon with air. So i would push them down into the water.

New Threads

Top Bottom