• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Slang Names For Everyday Items

xudo

something and nothing
So, on another thread the term 'popty-ping' was mentioned by @When In Rome and then @Mia wrote:

What a cool name for the microwave, popty-ping? I do like it when people make up names for things. Here, people call a spray bottle: poosh, poosh, which seems to them much like the sound the spray bottle makes when used.

That got me thinking, what other slang/colloquial names do you know/use in your country or local area for everyday items?

The two that spring to mind for me from Wales is daps, which is used for trainers (sneakers) and pop for literally any fizzy drink.

Two-four: A case of twenty-four beers
Puck bunny: A female who only goes out with hockey players.
Pogie: Welfare, government assistance.
Chesterfield: Sofa, couch.

Cola, coke or, cold drink/ drank for any fizzy drink.
Britches for pants. For instance ,his old lady pants when he wears his britches.:D
My Dad calls lit'l chuggers aka juice barrels drinks, Little choggies.o_O

Sucks: As in "it no good/worthless."
Buck: Is another way of saying dollar.
Under the radar: Means sneak/move in unnoticed.

Hmmm off the top of my head, in New zealand slang.

'Jug' - Electric kettle
'Bog', 'dunny' or 'loo' - Toilet
'Jandals' - flip flops
'Piss up' - A gathering where a lot of alcohol is consumed
'Eats' 'A feed' - to have a meal.
'Mean as' - An expression of appreciation for something
'Freaky buzz' - something that weirds/freaks you out
'Yeah, Nah' - Nope. Not keen on that.
'Dairy' - Corner store
'Wop-Wops' - Somewhere out in the middle of nowhere
'Not even' - Not true
'Munted' - broken, badly damaged.

An Australian friend was shocked when I used the word "wife-beater". Apparently that's what they call a "singlet" - a sleeveless undershirt for men. Wife-beater is pretty bad, though! I just hadn't thought about it. Some British people were wondering what I meant by "getting gypped". But they puzzled it out: "Oh, do you mean that you felt robbed, like by a gypsy?" WOW - I hadn't realized how racist that was, hadn't even known what it came from. For those who haven't guessed, this is all American slang.

As for me, I was shocked by the Aussies talking about going around in public wearing "thongs" (they mean flip-flops!) and Brits talking about "taking the mickey" (being made fun of?)

Scouse (Liverpool, UK Dialect)

Here are some of the many slang terms that I have come across in Liverpool.

'ang on a mo': Wait a moment.
Arl arse: Cruel.
Arl Fella: Father
ar 'ey: Oh no!
'ad off: Someone else's poor fortune.
Az if: I don't believe that.
Bevvy: Beer.
Bevied: Drunk.
Blag: Lie.
Blaggin' me 'ead: Lying to me.
Bluey: £5 Note (as it is blue in colour)
Boss: Very good.
Butty: Sandwich.
Clobber: Clothes.
Come 'ead: Lets go. Lets do it.
de': The.
Deffo: Definately.
Divvy: A stupid person.
Do one: Go away.
Geggin' in: To join in on something when you aren't invited.
Is right: I agree. Good idea. Well said.
Jarg: counterfit, fake, poor quality.
Jigger: 1. A girocheque. 2. A back alleyway.
Kidder: See la'.
La': Lad.
Lid: See la'.
Me Da': My Father.
Me Ma': My Mother.
Meff: A smelly, badly dressed person.
Nicker: £1.
No need: An exclamation of disapproval.
Ozzy : Hospital.
Sack it la': Stop that. Don't do it.
Soft Lad: Friendly name for a fool.
Sozz: Sorry.
Swerve on it: Not bother with it.
Ta': Thank you.
Texan: A beaut with a high opinion of him/herself.
Trabs: Sports shoes.
Whopper: An idiot.

So, on another thread the term 'popty-ping' was mentioned by @When In Rome and then @Mia wrote:

That got me thinking, what other slang/colloquial names do you know/use in your country or local area for everyday items?

The two that spring to mind for me from Wales is daps, which is used for trainers (sneakers) and pop for literally any fizzy drink.
TP = Toilet Paper.

I sometimes say, "Y'all are trying to put lipstick on a pig." Meaning one is attempting to make something look better than it actually is. Or saying, "That dog won't hunt." Meaning you can't get what you want- or need from someone or something.

Northerners usually look at me cross-eyed when I say such things with a Tidewater accent. :p

I still bust up laughing at a furniture store salesperson in Nevada who didn't know what a chifferobe was. Dayim...that's not even a slang term! :rolleyes:

I sometimes say, "Y'all are trying to put lipstick on a pig." Meaning one is attempting to make something look better than it actually is. Or saying, "That dog won't hunt." Meaning you can't get what you want- or need from someone or something.

Northerners usually look at me cross-eyed when I say such things with a Tidewater accent. :p

I still bust up laughing at a furniture store salesperson in Nevada who didn't know what a chifferobe was. Dayim...that's not even a slang term! :rolleyes:

People from the deep South have taught me about getting "the Itis" after eating too much or something too heavy, "coke" is all soda, "tea" always means sweet tea, which they told me was different from iced tea, and I couldn't believe people knew what to order when their friends would just say, "Get me a Wendy's", or "Get me a Starbucks", lol! :)

People from the deep South have taught me about getting "the Itis" after eating too much or something too heavy, "coke" is all soda, "tea" always means sweet tea, which they told me was different from iced tea, and I couldn't believe people knew what to order when their friends would just say, "Get me a Wendy's", or "Get me a Starbucks", lol! :)

Coke? Y'all mean an "Ah-Cee". ;)

But at least in Nevada I can ask for a side order of grits and get it, instead of a dirty look. :cool:

New Threads

Top Bottom