• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Siblings

Vanilla

Your friendly neighbourhood hedgehog
V.I.P Member
Hi all :)

I'm curious to know how growing up with (or without) siblings is/ was for you all.

If you have siblings, are they on the spectrum? Do you get along? Do they 'get' your AS? Have they helped you to better learn, and understand, social skills? Are you the eldest/ youngest/ middle child?

If you don't have any siblings, how was growing up for you? Have you ever wished for siblings?

I grew up the eldest of three boys. The youngest, we get along great, despite the six-year age difference. The middle one I barely speak to, not because of any animosity but simply because we are so incredibly different--he has blended quite well into the "local culture," so to speak...loves hunting, has a really thick accent. He was way into sports in high school, too, and was much less academically inclined than the rest of us.

To be honest, I can't really remember much of the dynamics before we were teenagers. I guess there was the usual childish antagonizing, and I never really got on well with the middle one when we were children...the youngest didn't really matter, since we are so far apart in age. But once I got to high school I was sort of doing my own thing, and there wasn't much going on.

As far as I can tell, neither my half brother nor my twin brother has autism. But they're good people. (My half-brother is married with children, so I didn't grow up with him.)

My twin still doesn't really get AS much, but he's been good to me, so I can't complain.

Yep I have a younger sister, who is definitely on the spectrum. I see in her relationship, what ive seen in mine. She has no idea, and despite
numerous conversations about my journey, she doesny get the connection im try to make. We have grown up, almost strangers to each other. And no, she doesn't get my AS. and despite hearing it from my physcologist, still questions it. I sometimes think, that for her to hear my truth, will confront her at a level, she doesn't want to know. Has she taught me anything? Having seen the carnage, in her life, through denial, she shows me my future, if I remain ignorant to my condition

Yep I have a younger sister, who is definitely on the spectrum. I see in her relationship, what ive seen in mine. She has no idea, and despite
numerous conversations about my journey, she doesny get the connection im try to make. We have grown up, almost strangers to each other. And no, she doesn't get my AS. and despite hearing it from my physcologist, still questions it. I sometimes think, that for her to hear my truth, will confront her at a level, she doesn't want to know. Has she taught me anything? Having seen the carnage, in her life, through denial, she shows me my future, if I remain ignorant to my condition

Hmm..my sister reacted the same way at first; denied everything I said, and especially didn't like that I told her that I suspected she (and her partner) may have a mild case herself. I think she too didn't want to beleive it; firstly, because she didn't believe it could be so, and secondly, I think she wasn't quite sure what AS was all about, and so assumed she didn't have it, as she isn't 'defective'.

She seems to have accepted this much better now though, since I first saw a professional, who 'unofficially' agreed with me. It probably helped too that her partner opened up, and also confirmed he had previously thought that he may have AS. Obviously an actual diagnoses is the next step, but I'm glad she was able to accept all that as proof enough.

She's also changed much of her behaviour towards me, I've noticed; in a good way. It's as though my 'oddness' can now be justified, and she no longer blames my strange behaviours as something I do on purpose.

Hopefully your sister comes around eventually Turk :)

For me I have a younger brother with intermeditto lowerr spectrum autism I think. I do not see him much as he is much more independant in some respects, but with a lower mental age.

I was the oldest, with one sister and three brothers. All of them are NTs. We were really close growing up, and had a lot of fun. As adults, we've drifted apart.

I'm the oldest of five. Youngest is my sister. The rest boys. We're old now and the four keep in contact with each other, but not with me.
They knew my parents sent me to a psychiatrist, but they don't know why. They think I am weird, or mean, or ?, but certainly the black sheep of the family.
I never could relate to any of them or most other people while growing up. Psych helped me accept myself a bit, but no help socializing. AS wasn't well known in the late 1950-early 1960s.

New Threads

Top Bottom