• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should we try to 'ressurect' animals that have become extinct?

I'm totally in the 'Yes' camp. For me #1 is Arthropleura. Centipedes are an important part of the ecosystem. So logically big ones could have bigger importance.

Probably my favorite artistic reconstruction of any creature.

3f8f841392f3a847cff935d340253490.jpg

And a 3D model.

7777777777.jpg

;)

For those who don't know what Walking with Monsters is, here's the introduction for the first of the three episodes:

I think there could be uses for when keystone species die out.

There's a species of starfish(it's not extinct yet) in the Alaska areas that eats sea urchins for example - if the sea urchins aren't kept in check they kill most things in the area either directly or by killing the lower levels of the food chain.
A scientist cleared them out of a small area to observe the results and it was quite destructive - the area went from a complex system to a simple one - fragile.

It would be very difficult because for them to die out it's usually because of habitat change or invasive species.
So with Invasive species you would first have to hunt the invasive species to a localized endangered(population would require management until a predator shows up) or extinct status.
For habitat change you're looking at localized terraforming which could involve adding other species of plants and animals - Complex systems are better at adapting but it might not end up what you thought you wanted.

Some species would be interesting to genetically reassemble- we'd all have our favorites.

If we are talking about animals released into 'the wild'- whatever that is nowadays, the Sabertoothed Cat and the Dire Wolf probably shouldn't! Outdoor activities would come with greater anxiety!

Maybe the Stilt-legged Horse and the Yukon Horse (which died out here in North America 5600 BC) and some other herbivores.

Others, like the Woolley Mammoth, probably wouldn't survive on our warm (and getting warmer) planet?

I think of it as a genetics practice more than a usefull enviromental stuff.

Most mamals and birds species are already disminishing their numbers due to damage and reduction of their habitats, climatic change, contamination, etc...

Also what Jurasic park did not show is how 65 million years evolved bacterias, viruses and parasites would just destroy any animal with outdated inmune systems...

When europeans hit Americas, 90% of Americans natives were wiped out by viruela, flu and other illnesess. Exactly the same will happen with resurected animals.

or the Bacterias, Viruses and Parasites won't know how to interact with the more "Primitive" systems and just fail.
Could go either way.
Kind of like how how there is the "Species barrier" in regards to infectious disease.
There would likely be a period where most bacterias, viruses and preions won't know how to deal with the old defenses and systems.

That is if we can get all the required micro organisms for the creatures in the first place.
Look at all the conditions in human health caused by not having the correct flora and fauna in your gut and on your skin.

Might as well ask if they could even digest anything now days.

New Threads

Top Bottom