• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should I get re-diagnosed?

thegamerchunk1

Learning.
So I got diagnosed when I was 10. I am now 17. And I have changed a lot. So I did some tests and all of them pointed me that I was neurotypical. Even when I was diagnosed they said I was slightly Aspergers (aka light aspergers)

So with those test telling me that I am not neurodiverse, The amount of friends and my love for social interactions, would it be crazy for me to think I might be miss diagnosed? And If so should I go again to make sure?

I have heard of cases where people grow out of the autism spectrum (I think it was on a Q&A with Tony Attwood on YouTube) so if you think you might have "lost" the symptoms, it could be a good idea to see if you could get an altered diagnosis.

It would be bad to think you have something, while you in fact don't. If you tried some online tests for your own mental image, and you stay/become worried about it because of them, I wouldn't see how a second opinion could hurt.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 75 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 147 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical

the other RAAD test showed 30 out of 200

poly10a.php

Complicated question. The difference between the DSM-IV and Asperger's Syndrome versus the DSM-V and Autism Spectrum Disorder. It certainly compounds the equation whether you are on the spectrum of autism or not.

There's always the possibility that you might not meet the criteria of the present state of diagnostics. A lot has changed since you were originally diagnosed.

okay. well. thanks?

Depends on what your actual intent is for another diagnosis. What I'm trying to tell you is that there are circumstances that now exist which may complicate getting the same or similar diagnosis again. If you really think you were misdiagnosed seven years ago, the change in diagnostics may actually favor that...assuming that is what you are looking for.

Technically in the US "Asperger's Syndrome" is a distinction under the old DSM-IV. (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders). It's now called Autism Spectrum Disorder under the DSM-V and subject to different diagnostic criteria.

You see what I'm getting at? And yes, it's complicated...although none of this probably matters if you don't reside in the USA.

Just understand that the diagnostic process of the past is very different than in the present. Regardless of whether you are neurodiverse or neurotypical.

Last edited:
Took it as well, I don't know if you are interested in my score but here it is anyway xD
Tests often make it seem like I should just have minor problems in social situations, but maybe I just suck at filling in forms properly :3 (or more likely because I entered "a little" too often)

Just do whatever feels good for you, if you don't mind having a diagnosis, you could leave it like this but if it bothers you and you want to get rid of it if it doesn't fit you, it can't hurt to pursue that

ImageUploadedByAspiesCentral.com1438990914.975606.jpg

Edit: did the test again, but now only picked either yes or no

TDvUFkD.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds to me like you had very mild symptoms, and now that you have matured more, you've either outgrown some of the issues, or you have found coping strategies - perhaps you have learnt some scripts or you learnt the way the people in your group of friends talk to each other and can now talk like them and fit in. The question is, how do you feel about it? Do you feel that you are one of them, you are like them, that you fit in, or do you still feel that you are a bit different? Are you coping with school life? Could you cope with college life, leaving home, getting a job, relationships, etc. or do they still scare you? If you feel that you are coping, and these things don't cause you any issues, then yes, perhaps it would be better in the long run to get the diagnosis removed, because the label might unfairly hinder you from achieving your life goals in the future.

I have heard of cases where people grow out of the autism spectrum

There is no neuroscience to support the assertion that people can outgrow autism. High-functioning autism exists on a continuum of severity that ranges from severe impairment to what amounts to just a few relatively minor traits. For those on the "low end" of the severity scale (i.e., who have a mild case), deliberate and sustained effort/therapy has been known to allow some autistics to adapt to the point where they become functionally indistinguishable from an NT. That's what Attwood has spoken about. He's never stated that the differences in actual neurology of people on the spectrum can ever be cured or outgrown. I don't mean to nitpick, but the idea that people can outgrow autism is a hazardous and inaccurate claim to spread. No harm, no foul -- just information. ;)

thegamerchunk1, Judge is right on that the new DSM criteria might exclude you from diagnosis if you were to be reassessed now, so being re-tested may not really give you an answer to your question. If you see that you have managed to adapt well to social situations and are very much like your NT friends and family, then that's awesome. A lot of people would like to be in your shoes.

The online tests you took were all developed before the new DSM that included the criteria change, but again, if you had a mild case to start with and have adapted well, it make sense that they would now score you as an NT, even if you do still have autistic neurology.

How you actually view yourself is up to you. :)

I don't mean to nitpick, but the idea that people can outgrow autism is a hazardous and inaccurate claim to spread. No harm, no foul -- just information. ;)
Great to know, I've only "known" about aspergers and my diagnosis for the past half a year and English isn't my first language, so it's good to know these little differences in meaning. Thank you for the insight, much appreciated

There is no neuroscience to support the assertion that people can outgrow autism. High-functioning autism exists on a continuum of severity that ranges from severe impairment to what amounts to just a few relatively minor traits. For those on the "low end" of the severity scale (i.e., who have a mild case), deliberate and sustained effort/therapy has been known to allow some autistics to adapt to the point where they become functionally indistinguishable from an NT. That's what Attwood has spoken about. He's never stated that the differences in actual neurology of people on the spectrum can ever be cured or outgrown. I don't mean to nitpick, but the idea that people can outgrow autism is a hazardous and inaccurate claim to spread. No harm, no foul -- just information. ;)

thegamerchunk1, Judge is right on that the new DSM criteria might exclude you from diagnosis if you were to be reassessed now, so being re-tested may not really give you an answer to your question. If you see that you have managed to adapt well to social situations and are very much like your NT friends and family, then that's awesome. A lot of people would like to be in your shoes.

The online tests you took were all developed before the new DSM that included the criteria change, but again, if you had a mild case to start with and have adapted well, it make sense that they would now score you as an NT, even if you do still have autistic neurology.

How you actually view yourself is up to you. :)
Also, while I trust most diagnoses, the existence of an occasional misdiagnosis remains a possibility.

Also, while I trust most diagnoses, the existence of an occasional misdiagnosis remains a possibility.

Very good point. I usually think of misdiagnosis going the other way, with an ASD being overlooked in favor of another condition, but it's true that one of the factors attributed to the so-called "Autism Epidemic" is over-diagnosis of ASDs with a direct correlation in declining diagnoses of other developmental conditions and learning disabilities. The OP's age fits the timeline for that trend.

o_O......your autism seems to be broken......

Yeah. While we can't put a lot of weight on any one test alone, seeing those results....hmmmmm. I mean, basically to be on the spectrum I'd think the pattern must dominate the right "hemisphere" (Autistic) as opposed to the left hemisphere. Geez... mine's maybe 20% tops into the left (Neurotypical) hemisphere.

But I agree with other postings here. That with time we might better manage some of our traits and behaviors. But managing them is not overcoming them either. It's a conditional state. You either are or aren't on the spectrum of autism. One can't neurologically "float" in and out of it...

Yeah. While we can't put a lot of weight on any one test alone, seeing those results....hmmmmm. I mean, basically to be on the spectrum I'd think the pattern must dominate the right "hemisphere" (Autistic) as opposed to the left hemisphere. Geez...mine's maybe 20% tops into the left (Neurotypical) hemisphere.
Of course, while I think its a good indicator of a potential it is not a known. I was just trying to be funny though [emoji14]

Of course, while I think its a good indicator of a potential it is not a known. I was just trying to be funny though [emoji14]

Nope..can't make any real conclusions on one or even a few tests alone. But that pattern.....hmmmmmmmmmm! o_O

And IMO above all, the diagnostic process is subjective enough to enhance the possibility of misdiagnosis.

After talking about it to my parents (because even if I am 17 I am under their guarding or whatever) for the rediagnosis, She told me that I might not be Deficient on the social level, but I have a lot, and a lot of stress tics and manies specific from aspergers

A good example of what I'm trying to think about something, almost anything, I need to be standing up and If I'm stressed, to be walking around. I can't stand being in social disputes (my fuse is very short for that).

I think I excel in social events due to my constant presence in such events.

Think of it as a watermelon. It was born to grow like a shape of a sphere, but if you constantly put it in a cubic box you end up with something like this http://www.kcpwindowonjapan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/watermelon1.jpg

Also I recently studied an article concerning autism and the use of marijuana, Being a weekly user I though that It might be affecting my social skills.

http://www.denverrelief.com/blog/co...is-marijuana-therapy/?age-verified=1a671031c2

Assuming that your initial diagnosis was accurate, have you considered the possibility that your current test results are merely a reflection of how well you have adapted to social situations?

New Threads

Top Bottom