• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory

Hella funny though, I probably should not like it, being as it is sending up people who are outside of the box like me, but I so do. so dooooo.

Big Bang Theory is one of the go to stereotypes of ASD. More widely recognized than even Rain Man at this point in time. How is this news?

Last edited:
Big Bang Theory is one of the go to stereotypes of ASD. More widely recognized than even Rain Man at this point in time. How is this news?

Anything is news when it's new to the person who just figured it out.

Well, true. Really, my family only figured out about me (as an adult) after watching BBT for a while and realizing that me and Sheldon are very much alike. That was new to them, but not new to me.

Well, true. Really, my family only figured out about me (as an adult) after watching BBT for a while and realizing that me and Sheldon are very much alike. That was new to them, but not new to me.

BBT is more accurate to the representation of ASD 1 than Rain Man, who is more representative of ASD 2. The majority of the BBT group demonstrate ASD traits, not just Sheldon, who is the most by the book representation.

Last edited:
I only saw a little of it. He seemed to be playing the comedic and over-dramatic uber-nerd more than autistic.

I read that he's based on a few specific people in history, Albert Einstein being one of them, and the people he's modeled after are likely autistic so Sheldon is made to be autistic indirectly.

Sheldon is clearly in the autistic spectrum I don't get why sending that up is a bad thing, it's not like he's a bad person or they are negatively stereotyping anything. He has friends is successful in his career and can be quite sweet and charming. If anything I find Sheldon to be a good representation of Aspergers and I think the man is funny as well.

BBT is more accurate to the representation of ASD 1 than Rain Man, who is more representative of ASD 2. The majority of the BBT group demonstrate ASD traits, not just Sheldon, who is the most by the book representation.
Off hand, I can't think of anyone in the main cast who does not exhibit autistic traits. Probably half would get a formal diagnosis but that can depend as much on the diagnostician as on the diganosed.

My older brother was, dead ringer for Sheldon. passed away a couple of years ago. they could of have used him as a model for Sheldon.

There is no one autistic style. Sheldon is as good as any other. I consider him sugar-coated autism. Even the bad aspects are cute and adorable. His life is full of love and support from all sides.

It is the irritating and annoying aspects of autism that make it a problem, the things that NTs don't deal well with. If people didn't dislike many of our traits, it wouldn't matter.

Ironically you are like him you just probably think, like me, inconsiderate is weirdly charming. If you think about it ironically just thinking about it not inconsdierate.

Incidentally you're quote function is bewildering You click on it and it doesn't actually quote anything, presumably you know that. So fix it. See inconsiderate.

Remember though so-called norms don't try and make sarcastic jokes about something and then end up offending people because they're basically being obnoxious. They really don't they are more diplomatic/

Last edited:

It's a comedy who cares if it was a hard-hitting report on the state of Autism spectrum disorder. My suggestion Lighten up. Or don't it's entirely your choice to which and what you become offended about of course.

Incidentally, the real Rain Man was not autistic he has a very rare brain disorder.

It's a comedy who cares if it was a hard-hitting report on the state of Autism spectrum disorder. My suggestion Lighten up. Or don't it's entirely your choice to which and what you become offended about of course.

Who's offended? I just pointed out, it was not an earth shatteringly original observation. And this thread has been edited before due to rather inflammatory replies. So why rehash that? Kinda pointless.

Want to assign feelings, start with your own. Not those of strangers. Such assumptions are not worth the reply or spoons. Enjoy the forum.

There is an interesting thread about ignoring members that is in the off topic sub-forum.

Ignoring other members

Last edited:
Christ for someone who is apparently not offended you're acting like someone who is mortally offended.

Physician heal thyself.

Nah it's much easier to believe you are the Kwizatd Hadderach and believe everyone else is wrong.

Nothing to see here.

Because I the holy c edited it to suit my tastes.

My wife likes it because it reminds her of her in-laws, my family. We are not that funny, they are just caricatures. Not to be taken too seriously. I do not get upset when she laughs at Sheldon he is not my older brother. Just sort of acts like him. The show is for entertainment only.

I think at the end of the day people with a certain disorder and you can name at is you will, seem to like thinking they are the centre of the universe, and find it hard to consider that other people's thoughts matter. Which is fine. Comedy is subjective, being a self serving person who has borderline NPD and using it as an excuse to make horribly sly comments about people is in no way what autism is about, but you see it all the time in people with "autism" or whatever you want to call it in your trite little rule book of labels. And frankly knowing how they behave they should know better. Reading this thread though is an education in itself: just how badly people behave when they think somehow they are special, because they put all their problems on the back of a condition instead of learning to deal with them, and then make excuses endlessly about being obnoxious. Being a dick is neither big or special. I can do whatever I like I have special dispensation for being a jerk, I Can just balme it on a condition.

New Threads

Top Bottom