• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sharks

lovely_darlingprettybaby

V.I.P Member
What do you know about them?
Random facts and trivia

I think they are not predators but actually fairly innocent. They do not actually mean to eat humans and do not like the taste of them. I think maybe it has to do with their food sources and because they have poor eyesight.
But they are still predators of the sea so they can still be fairly dangerous, you cannot think of them as predictable.
They are scary to look at and come into contact with esp great white sharks
I would not want to be near one of them.
I would love to swim near some smaller ones or pat them but I think sharks especially may not like it and you can watch from a safe distance.
I would never eat flake and really I think sharks are very important to an oceans ecosystem that if they became extinct the ocean would really suffer and maybe not adapt so well

I think this is an amazing youtube channel that gives a unique perspective on sharks. The guy who makes the videos uses a drone to observe mostly great white shark behavior from above. I find these videos fascinating and very relaxing. He clearly cares a lot about sharks.

They are a part of the ecosystem and the oceans would not be the same without them.
They can be dangerous. So can a lot of things though.

One morning at daybreak, I was going to go for a swim at Clearwater Beach.
The water was calm and clear. I saw what I thought was a log and walked out to it.
It was a shark, don't know what type, sleeping on the sandy bottom.
I walked slowly back to shore, but I guess I disturbed it and what I saw was amazing.

It started moving about and the little minnow type fish swam in a group up to the shore, almost swam out onto the sand, then turned back out to the water.
That was followed by medium sized fish that did the same.
They were followed by the shark. He was hunting for breakfast.
Nature in action. :)

The gulf where I live is where all the White Pointers (great whites) come to breed. During spring it's quite common to find all sorts of shark eggs washing up on the beach.

We used to get a lot of shark attacks here but that's all stopped now, the answer turned out to be very simple in the end. We banned shark fishing and long line fishing. And we seriously heavily enforced those laws including the confiscation and destruction of boats.

It took 20 years for fisherman to get used to the idea that they weren't welcome, but they were the real cause of the problem, baiting and attracting sharks.

Just a little more on sharks here, we've got a lot of them where I live. There's lots of different kinds and not all of them are dangerous.

The first picture below is a Gummy Shark, it has no teeth.
The second picture is a Wobbegong, very common and completely harmless, although pretty scary when you almost tread on one.

amaxresdefault.jpg

wobbegong.jpg

My dad is obsessed with sharks! I think they are so beautiful.

When I was younger my best friend moved to the Florida Keys and I would visit her whenever I could. One time we went snorkeling and were accompanied by numerous (harmless, to us) nurse sharks. It was amazing.

I think they way they ceaselessly rotate out new rows of teeth is amazing. I am not sure on the specifics such as whether they have an infinite supply of new teeth, how they are formed in the body, or which species do it - but it is so cool!

The gulf where I live is where all the White Pointers (great whites) come to breed. During spring it's quite common to find all sorts of shark eggs washing up on the beach.

We used to get a lot of shark attacks here but that's all stopped now, the answer turned out to be very simple in the end. We banned shark fishing and long line fishing. And we seriously heavily enforced those laws including the confiscation and destruction of boats.

It took 20 years for fisherman to get used to the idea that they weren't welcome, but they were the real cause of the problem, baiting and attracting sharks.
When I was in Adelaide some 35+ years ago, I met some divers. When I told them I was also a diver, they invited me to go Great White Shark diving, I asked how big their shark cage was, and they replied "We don't use a cage. We just chum the water until a shark shows up, then jump in." I decided I was busy that day.

i think it would scare me a lot if one was swimming in my direction, they are terrifying, those teeth.

When I was in Adelaide some 35+ years ago,
That's sort of around the time that we banned shark fishing. We still get the odd attack here and there but most often it's just mistaken identity and it's the surf board that gets bitten. From underneath a surfer laying on their board with arms and legs out to the sides looks a bit like a turtle.

From underneath a surfer laying on their board with arms and legs out to the sides looks a bit like a turtle.
......or a seal. I don't know how things are over there now, but at that time, the typical Australian attitude was "Do what we want, have fun, and consequences be damned." I remember Max Gilles doing a better Bob Hawke than Bob Hawke.

......or a seal. I don't know how things are over there now, but at that time, the typical Australian attitude was "Do what we want, have fun, and consequences be damned." I remember Max Gilles doing a better Bob Hawke than Bob Hawke.
We're here for a good time, not for a long time. You can't live your life like the boy in the bubble, you have to get out there and live it. You don't get a second chance so you have to make the most of it while you can.

And yes, I've had a lot of injuries in my time that are starting to come back and haunt me now that I'm getting older, but I have no regrets.

Old Hawky sure knew how to turn on the water works, cried at everything. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom