• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory issue= animal senses?

Tigris

I was wonder if animals thinking have any relations with sensory issues that we encounter.

I always wondered that, and I'm actually not too sure with that one, I know they have strong hearing, especially dogs and it does normally gets too noisy for them when there's loud noises.

So it could be the case.

Temple Grandin thinks so. She wrote an interesting book called "Animals in Translation" you might want to check out. My hunch is that the sensory sensitivities also have something to do with the phenomenon of people on the spectrum that are really good with animals. It works for me since I'm studying to be an ethologist!

Temple Grandin thinks so. She wrote an interesting book called "Animals in Translation" you might want to check out. My hunch is that the sensory sensitivities also have something to do with the phenomenon of people on the spectrum that are really good with animals. It works for me since I'm studying to be an ethologist!

True, I've noticed that I could read an animals mind in a way, back when I used to have a dog, I would know why she would come up to me for either cuddles, walk, attention, and of course, the toilet.

I could also tell when they are angry or when they are really happy and its almost the same with cats.

Everyone says that I'm really good with animals. I never thought of it as anything to do with Aspergers but it could be the case.

ah that's interesting?

Perhaps our brain is wired somewhat like a throwback to the past? But it doesn't mean that we are primitive.

if a NT person has our senses, I believe he/she will be just as disturbed as we are.

Well I don't know what are animals, it's true though that I have hyper-senses similar to the animals.

Like say some animals can see fluorescent lights blinking and the sound of some things in human environment are in fact can be signals of danger or food. For touch, well does it remind you of your resident raccoon?

I've always been able to relate to animals. I really do feel like an animal sometimes. I think I consider myself to be an animal in my own mind.

Me too when I was much younger.

Now researchers are doing more research on this. I believe this can be a form of a throwback to our distant animal ancestors. But it's a fact now known that human environments like an office can be distressing for an animal.

But we are living in a human, not just an animal world --- sad to say, and I am looking to deal with other human beings.

Perhaps an autistic kid will not be that disturbed if our super human senses dun reveal the scariest things in the human society.
Example, the fluorescent lamps blinking, the whirring of the fan, the sound of flying animals at night [we have fruit bats in Singapore].

Now I am reading Animals in Translation. The book is fascinating. But Temple Grandin's idea of animals being visual has some limits to some species. I believe each animal will be senstive to different stimuli like sound, touch or sight.

True, I've noticed that I could read an animals mind in a way, back when I used to have a dog, I would know why she would come up to me for either cuddles, walk, attention, and of course, the toilet.

I could also tell when they are angry or when they are really happy and its almost the same with cats.

Im exactly like this with my cats :) and if i ever meet any animal i feel a sense of something coming from them and feel they know im nice and that i can be with them as in like understand them more than most humans.

New Threads

Top Bottom