• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Selling a bunch of unnecessary stuff

oregano

So buzz off!
V.I.P Member
(Before anybody wonders, NO I AM NOT thinking of doing anything bad/destructive to myself or anybody else.)

I was looking in my closet a few days ago and was thinking that I need to clean it out. So I went through and came up with a dozen items that I want to toss on Ebay.

For some reason I'd been buying old 60s and 70s transistor radios at garage sales and such over the last couple years (electronics/computers is my main special interest) and I finally realized that I have too many. One had to go in the e-waste recycle bin because it was too far gone. I also kept a couple rare radios that I have such as a 1955 Philco T7-126 that is very hard to find.

So now for sale I have four radios, a couple analog ampere meters that I'd bought intending on hooking them somehow to a ham radio power supply (a project that never happened), a 1970s Simpson 160 multimeter that is labeled IBM and which I can't use because it takes an obsolete type of battery, a frequency counter I wanted to hook to a tube ham radio but couldn't, and a couple things I'd bought specifically intending to flip them on Ebay like a couple mid 1970s calculators in their boxes with their AC adaptors and a Heathkit clock I found at a thrift store.

Looking over a workbench loaded with stuff I really had no idea what to do with or what I would do with it once I bought it or that I bought on impulse I feel ashamed that I wasted money on this stuff, and that I bought it in the first place when somebody else might have enjoyed it more than I did. I really don't care about making a profit on it with most of it, I just want to sell it to people who might really want it and use it and enjoy it instead of having it collecting dust in a closet.

And even now I still feel like I have too much stuff in the closet but the stuff I have is very rare or has personal value such as transistor radios owned by relatives who died long ago or stuff from my childhood. I really don't like the whole idea of accumulating stuff.

Thousands of people in California have had everything they ever owned destroyed in wildfires over the last couple years, and there was one guy in Santa Rosa who was a well respected dentist, and his mansion was incinerated in the Tubbs Fire, and a few months later he laid down in the ashes and blew his brains out. He was alive and still had his dentist knowledge and could have easily started his life over somewhere else, but he killed himself because he lost all his stuff.

I just don't like the idea that stuff is worth dying over, and I see people sobbing because they lost all their stuff, and they don't seem to realize that stuff isn't worth being sad over or dying over. I want to be at a point where if all my stuff gets destroyed I can simply replace it, that it has utilitarian instead of emotional value.

Selling stuff is a good way to part with some stuff because you get something for it and it has a more utilitarian value that way. Many people including myself don't want to have to replace or lose what we have. It's a transition and the change can be overwhelming. The only "problem" with selling is that there are always a lot of buyers usually. It doesn't hurt to try though. The cost is minimal unless you're selling a lot of items at once (i.e. e-bay gives you 50 free ads to use per month). Also, selling can be tricky because shipping costs and a learning curve to figure out how to use such website(s) can be troublesome. Many people can do these things, but not everyone. Something to keep in mind. These things also take time and energy. A garage sale or even using nextdoor.com or the Let Go app, etc., are other options but may be hard to utilize well as well. In some places, you are not even allowed to have a garage sale!

@paloftoon, I have been selling on Ebay since just after 9/11, so I know what I'm doing. I have used it to get rid of various things that I bought locally but then couldn't get rid of locally when I realized I didn't need/want them. The thing is that Ebay nowadays is mostly oriented towards the big Hong Kong/China sellers and little guys like me can get lost in the shuffle. Another problem is that people will buy old stuff for a song in their local areas and then try to sell it on Ebay for far more than it is worth, so there is a lot of pointless ads to wade through.

I would probably be one of those Hong Kong/Chinese sellers if I was living there and making good off it, and I would also probably be one of those pointless ads or half-pointless ads where I might buy something old, maybe use it, then try to sell it. Usually I do my homework if I do something like that first, and usually don't have time to do that and focus on what I do have only, lol.

I am also one of the little guys, haha. I think I didn't start e-bay until 2005. self-taught. I do okay. Don't know all the nuances or keep up with all the changes 100%. Get annoyed by some of them. Typical life stuff, but online, lol.

One friend of mine recently had his car stolen, on top of it was a prized kayak that he handbuilt himself 20 years ago, clearly something special to him... I have also had a car theft once and one house break in where I lost some "stuff"

Understandably at the time my friend was upset, he replaced his car quickly enough, you can't replace a handbuilt kayak unless you make a new one, he decided to simply buy a new kayak, in retrospect he recently told me that the stolen kayak had a few issues lately anyway...

As much as I personally collect a few things, I have come to realize that it all could be gone in an instant

New Threads

Top Bottom