• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

School problems, HELP?

BlackKitsune13

here is something going on that I need some help with right now...

So, the thing is my parents are CONSTANTLY telling me to get better at maths; and I try. I do try. But the only problem is that I am only interested in my interests and everything else goes out of the window. I can't help it. I really can't. To get around it my parents put me on an hour of revision every day. And even if I do try it (which I get major stressed about) it seems pointless as it goes straight out of the window the next day.

I suggested to the teacher 'mixing' my interests into the work so my brain focuses on it more, but she can never do it.

So what do you say? What will be a way for me to easily learn maths without getting stressed out at revision and forgetting what I learned the next day?

(My Interest right now is an anime called Blue Exorcist)

It's quite hard to say anything at all seeing as I don't know you personally.

Though, I can admit I have similar problems and have devised my own methods of coping.
I usually get a piece of instrumental, repetitive music and keep it on repeat while I study - I never listen to this track outside of study time. My mind has learned that when listening to that rhythm its time to concentrate, and I do quite well. I can't say that this will necessarily work for you, but for me it does :) At the moment, despite not being an avid call of duty fan, my 'study-track' is:

Anyways, I hope that you overcome this study problem of yours! :)

Maybe try to make the math more concrete. Or turn it into word problems that use what you are interested in. LIke the names or places of things in your fav anime or book.

Maybe try to make the math more concrete. Or turn it into word problems that use what you are interested in. LIke the names or places of things in your fav anime or book.

That us what I am trying now, but it is difficult to turn algebra problems and etc into word problems....

here is something going on that I need some help with right now...

So, the thing is my parents are CONSTANTLY telling me to get better at maths; and I try. I do try. But the only problem is that I am only interested in my interests and everything else goes out of the window. I can't help it. I really can't. To get around it my parents put me on an hour of revision every day. And even if I do try it (which I get major stressed about) it seems pointless as it goes straight out of the window the next day.

I suggested to the teacher 'mixing' my interests into the work so my brain focuses on it more, but she can never do it.

So what do you say? What will be a way for me to easily learn maths without getting stressed out at revision and forgetting what I learned the next day?

(My Interest right now is an anime called Blue Exorcist)

Hello, have you considered using your interest as a reward? If you do , for example two math problems you get 15 minutes of your interest. Then, repeat the two, and add two more, each time repeating the ones prior, as we seem to learn best by repetition. Also, learning will be directly tied to something satisfying for you, so it will become a feel good, instead of a downer.
You are not actually learning each problem, but a system. The characters only serve as reference points, and change with each problem, but the method, or the path to victory, is always the same.
Think about this as you work through the problems. Once you recognize the method, you can plug in any figures and the method of calculation will be the same.
Good Luck.

Hello, have you considered using your interest as a reward? If you do , for example two math problems you get 15 minutes of your interest. Then, repeat the two, and add two more, each time repeating the ones prior, as we seem to learn best by repetition. Also, learning will be directly tied to something satisfying for you, so it will become a feel good, instead of a downer.
You are not actually learning each problem, but a system. The characters only serve as reference points, and change with each problem, but the method, or the path to victory, is always the same.
Think about this as you work through the problems. Once you recognize the method, you can plug in any figures and the method of calculation will be the same.
Good Luck.

This is a great idea and it has worked for me. This is thee same method I use to accomplish things I have difficulty concentrating on or simply hate doing.

But the only problem is that I am only interested in my interests and everything else goes out of the window. I can't help it. I really can't.

That's your challenge. You must learn to adapt somewhat to that which is outside your scope of interest. I know it's difficult, but this is a dynamic of life well beyond whether one is autistic or not.

You have to prepare yourself to some degree to deal with things you don't like. "Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield."

At your age I struggled with algebra as well....went on to struggle with Geometry too. Yet some years later I wound up on a job I very much needed where I had to do basic math all the time. Even having avoided math for the most part in college! I never imagined having such a job, but that's life. It's a tough thing most everyone has to go through. That at some point we all learn that the world doesn't revolve around us, but rather that we revolve around it.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom