• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

RIP: Peter Tork

That is sad. I loved the Monkees when I was a kid, and never lost my love of the music they made.
RIP

I was always amazed at reading their real story. That they were a complete fabrication of talent through the efforts of Bob Rafelson. Where the only truly "professional" of the group was actor/musician Davy Jones.

Yet as a group there's no question that they had talent, both during and well after the tv series was cancelled.

Where the only truly "professional" of the group was actor/musician Davy Jones.QUOTE]

Davy Jones was a singer/actor
Mike Nesmith was a muscian/singer
Peter Tork was a musician/singer
Mikey Dolenz was an actor

Part of the frustration for these guys was that Peter and Mike, who truly were musicians, were not allowed to play instruments.

Davy Jones was a singer/actor
Mike Nesmith was a musician/singer
Peter Tork was a musician/singer
Mikey Dolenz was an actor

Part of the frustration for these guys was that Peter and Mike, who truly were musicians, were not allowed to play instruments.

To my knowledge only Davy Jones was actually employed as such prior to auditioning for the Monkees. In Britain he was already a popular stage actor, even nominated for a Tony Award at 16.

Last edited:
To my knowledge only Davy Jones was actually employed as such prior to auditioning for the Monkees.
It depends on what you mean by employed. Someone who writes music, preforms and sings for pay is generally self employed. Mike and Peter were doing that. Peter Tork used to say joining the Monkees totally ruined his music career because nobody took him seriously after that.

It depends on what you mean by employed. Someone who writes music, preforms and sings for pay is generally self employed. Mike and Peter were doing that. Peter Tork used to say joining the Monkees totally ruined his music career because nobody took him seriously after that.

It's a matter of notoriety. In comparison at the time as an actor, the other three were relatively unknown.

It's a matter of notoriety. In comparison at the time as an actor, the other three were relatively unknown.
Well I guess we are talking about different things. Davy was an actor who was in musicals but Peter Tork was a real musician whom the producers of the Monkees did not allow to play as the whole thing was dubbed by studio musicians. So I am talking about whether or not he was a 'real' musician before the Monkees and you are talking about whether or not he was famous or an actor.
https://www.biography.com/people/peter-tork-20758183

Well I guess we are talking about different things. Davy was an actor who was in musicals but Peter Tork was a real musician whom the producers of the Monkees did not allow to play as the whole thing was dubbed by studio musicians. So I am talking about whether or not he was a 'real' musician before the Monkees and you are talking about whether or not he was famous or an actor.
https://www.biography.com/people/peter-tork-20758183

Had the television show never come to fruition, neither would have the Monkees as actors or collectively as a musical group. Individually they all had musical talents. Not to mention Mike Nesmith's contribution to music video. For him, IMO his real career didn't take off until after the Monkees.

Yet clearly the priority with the producers was the acting rather than the music. With Stephen Stills (Crosby Stills & Nash, Buffalo Springfield) auditioning and failing to get a part. Go figure!

Without the opportunity of the Monkees, there's no telling what kind of trajectory their acting or musical inclinations might have taken, for better or worse. With Davy Jones being an exception as an established actor. Even then, the shadow of Hollywood typecasting didn't exactly give his acting career a "push".

Notoriety in Hollywood is a strange thing. It can give one momentary fame, but wow...it can also take it away in the long term when a particular performance winds down. Very unforgiving at times, and for no good reason.

Yes, they certainly did get a raw deal in the beginning in not being treated or acknowledged as the musicians they actually were. I know this took its toll on their reputation in the music industry at the time. Point taken. ;)

Last edited:
Not to mention Mike Nesmith's contribution to music video. For him, IMO his real career didn't take off until after the Monkees.

Surely there should be some joke here about it being a mistake in reference to his inheritance ie tippex.

After the Monkees split up, Davy Jones did a tour in Ireland, with local support at each venue.

The bill poster read " Davy Jones with Bananas"

He didn't show up.

Bananas a local band at the time...

After the Monkees split up, Davy Jones did a tour in Ireland, with local support at each venue.

The bill poster read " Davy Jones with Bananas"

He didn't show up.

Bananas a local band at the time...

Former stardom meets gravity. Not always a pretty picture.

Reminds me of "The Association" who were even on Ed Sullivan in 1967. By the early 80s I saw them once playing at the Alameda County Fair. Very sad.

The entertainment industry. Approach with caution, much like you would in voluntarily putting your hand into a blender plugged into an electrical socket.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom