• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Resources for newly diagnosed Autistic people and those who think they might be.

rach3rd

It has been a while since I've been active here. I've been busy working on an autistic resources website: https://autism-101.com.

When I was diagnosed late last year it took me quite a while to find the online autistic community and good resources. I thought it might be useful to put all of the information I uncovered in one place for others. Let me know if you have some resources you think I'm missing and might be helpful. Any feedback is welcome. I'm just working on it in my free time at the moment.

I just got diagnosed with ADHD as well this past month. So now I have to learn all about it as well.

Up until 2012 according to the DSM, autism and ADHD could not occur simultaneously in the same person, even with profound evidence of the overlapping of the two conditions in numerous individuals. It was one or the other, never both.

I was screened at age 3 and fit more into the autistic category than I did in ADHD, but I clearly had ADHD, diagnosed in my dad when he was in the military, what wasn't diagnosed was his autism. My mom has inattentive ADHD, as does my grandmother.

The autism was the clearer diagnosis, but the documented ADHD was the more acceptable label. I found out about my autism diagnosis only after I moved out for college and a psychology professor suggested I get a screening. I mentioned it to mom and the truth came out.

I was a bit upset, but didn't stay mad for long because I understood why they didn't tell me. As backward as it seems mom and my doctor were trying to protect me from the stigmata associated with the neurotype.

Last edited:
I got my autism diagnosis late last year at age 57. It can be tough when you are older and discover that you are autistic and have already made a lot of big life choices that could have been different.

Found the site rather straightforward and helpful, wish it had’ve been one the first I’d found when looking, same as here.

Raads test link wouldn’t work for me, other tests comparable or better compared to others found. Nice job.

Found the site rather straightforward and helpful, wish it had’ve been one the first I’d found when looking, same as here.

Raads test link wouldn’t work for me, other tests comparable or better compared to others found. Nice job.
Thanks for your kind words and encouragement.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to create a great resource.

I did notice that the SocialAutie link did not work. (404)

When I first discovered that I had Asperger’s/ASD L1, I spent countless hours looking for resources, reading books and looking at the available forums. Personally, I found the site Wrong Planet quite toxic without any apparent moderation and definitely not helpful. If I were to make any changes to your wonderful website, it would be to remove that link.

Thank you again for helping us!

A lady I am studying the bible with ie she is my student, so to speak. Her second daughter has ADHD and we noted that there are many similarities between us, but also there are marked differences too and many get misdiagnosed due to that.

Bad time managment is a big thing with ADHD, but most on the autism spectrum, have good time managment and I am certainly one of those. Even one minute late, I would panic and when others are just one minute late, I get anxious.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to create a great resource.

I did notice that the SocialAutie link did not work. (404)

When I first discovered that I had Asperger’s/ASD L1, I spent countless hours looking for resources, reading books and looking at the available forums. Personally, I found the site Wrong Planet quite toxic without any apparent moderation and definitely not helpful. If I were to make any changes to your wonderful website, it would be to remove that link.

Thank you again for helping us!
Great suggestions, thank you!

New Threads

Top Bottom