• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Resident Evil

Lemon Zing

An 8 episode series recently debuted on Netflix, and people are saying Albert Wesker now looks like the Marvel character, Blade. Holy cow! :D

He does though, huh?

But come on, Capcom. How many more times do you guys over in Japan have to keep rehashing the same story, or even twisting it around to have a futuristic appeal? It's ridiculous.

Raccoon City was destroyed in the 1999 video game, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. So going back to the era dozens of times to milk it is unnecessary.

Corporate disagrees with you though.

It gets them money, so of course it's necessary in their eyes.

Doing more things that are genuinely new would require that they, you know, TRY, so... they wont. Not often, at least.

Chances are we can expect announcements of more game remakes/remasters too.

Couldn't agree more, they seem to ignore the actual video games and their story lines. As Misery said, just a cash cow, a cynical cash in. Always is, always has been for the last 30+ years or so. They don't care about integrity. By they I mean Hollywood.

Honestly, it's infuriating with just how easy it could be to make a movie version of the first game, yet for some reason Capcom and those it gives the rights to are like "Nah! We're going to do something overly complicated and which has barely anything to do with the games".
The closest we got to it was Welcome to Raccoon City, but that one felt the need to awkwardly mash elements of the first two games together (which have two very different story lines) while adding new stuff that feels completely unnecessary- such as making Chris and Claire orphans (which they weren't) and tying lives to Umbrella right from the get-go when they were still kids, instead of having them be regular people who just happened to get caught up in a bad situation - and wrapping it up with a mix of bad special effects and poor casting choices.

What's annoying is that there has been plenty of attempts to make a faithful movie adaptation of the first game - with even horror movie maestro George Romero making a potential script for a Resident Evil movie long before we got Paul W. S. Anderson using the series as a way to try and make his wife Milla Jovovich look amazing (arguably turning her into a "Mary Sue" character in the process).
To quote what Will Jordan said in his Resident Evil Retrospective when he reviewed the 2002 film: "It should have been easy; haunted house, zombies, traps, secret experiments, corporate conspiracy, final showdown and escape before the place self destructs, bish, bash, bosh, you're done - go collect your paycheck".
I'm pretty certain any competent horror director could make a good or at least decent adaptation with this information.

As for this newest adaptation, it just feels like a more infuriating version of Beverley Hills 90210 but set in Africa/Europe and with zombies. As for Albert Wesker, I'm fine with a role been given to someone of a different race as long as it still makes sense in context and they don't screw up the character to fit the needs of the story (instead of altering the story to fit the needs of the character).
A good example of that was with Samuel L. Jackson's portrayal of S.H.I.E.L.D Director Nicky Fury in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. However, while Lance does his best here, his version of Albert Wesker is barely anything like his video game counterpart and it isn't helped by his daughter Jade constantly insulting and talking down to him.
I'm pretty certain if any of us tried talking to our Dads that way when we were teenagers, our Dads most certainly wouldn't stand for it.

They won't stop milking it because the franchise sells

It's a bit dampening seeing how it's handled, the plot deserves so much more
but that ship sailed a long time ago, since RE4

Honestly, it's infuriating with just how easy it could be to make a movie version of the first game, yet for some reason Capcom and those it gives the rights to are like "Nah! We're going to do something overly complicated and which has barely anything to do with the games".
The closest we got to it was Welcome to Raccoon City, but that one felt the need to awkwardly mash elements of the first two games together (which have two very different story lines) while adding new stuff that feels completely unnecessary- such as making Chris and Claire orphans (which they weren't) and tying lives to Umbrella right from the get-go when they were still kids, instead of having them be regular people who just happened to get caught up in a bad situation - and wrapping it up with a mix of bad special effects and poor casting choices.

What's annoying is that there has been plenty of attempts to make a faithful movie adaptation of the first game - with even horror movie maestro George Romero making a potential script for a Resident Evil movie long before we got Paul W. S. Anderson using the series as a way to try and make his wife Milla Jovovich look amazing (arguably turning her into a "Mary Sue" character in the process).
To quote what Will Jordan said in his Resident Evil Retrospective when he reviewed the 2002 film: "It should have been easy; haunted house, zombies, traps, secret experiments, corporate conspiracy, final showdown and escape before the place self destructs, bish, bash, bosh, you're done - go collect your paycheck".
I'm pretty certain any competent horror director could make a good or at least decent adaptation with this information.

As for this newest adaptation, it just feels like a more infuriating version of Beverley Hills 90210 but set in Africa/Europe and with zombies. As for Albert Wesker, I'm fine with a role been given to someone of a different race as long as it still makes sense in context and they don't screw up the character to fit the needs of the story (instead of altering the story to fit the needs of the character).
A good example of that was with Samuel L. Jackson's portrayal of S.H.I.E.L.D Director Nicky Fury in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. However, while Lance does his best here, his version of Albert Wesker is barely anything like his video game counterpart and it isn't helped by his daughter Jade constantly insulting and talking down to him.
I'm pretty certain if any of us tried talking to our Dads that way when we were teenagers, our Dads most certainly wouldn't stand for it.

This sort of thing is why I stick to watching independent content on Youtube.

Hollywood doesnt really care too much about things like accuracy or creativity or sticking to a unique theme... all they want to do is find the trends that work, and then put those out over and over and over, even if they have to completely mangle the source material in the process. The stories and pacing are always structured in the way that Hollywood thinks will work, with little deviation... anyone who has seen enough of the Marvel stuff has likely noticed that the things start to get really same-y after you've seen enough of them. Hollywood thinks of that as "safe", and thus profitable without risk, so they keep doing it. Same reason why the AAA side of the game industry puts out the same blasted shooters over and over again. And directors/writers who WANT to do things that are creative or unique or whatever arent allowed to. Gotta fit into that corporate box...

I'd rather watch whatever gloriously bizarre horror thing I can find on Youtube. Lots of creative stuff on there. It aint Resident Evil but some things are clearly inspired by it.

I still am waiting for Hollywood to produce a big moneymaking PG-13 remake of Cannibal Holocaust. I would put nothing past them these days.

Yeah. A pretty pointless Netflix adaptation, but as you say, money talks.

I'm not that excited about the RE4 remake scheduled to release in the spring, because the original RE4 is overrated anyway. It destroyed the franchise's integrity of sorts, and that's because it's not really a true survival horror game. It's an action adventure game that just happens to be a bit on the creepy side. But it's not really a "survival horror" game. And here's why that's the case...

The whole point of the series beforehand was isolation and being careful with your ammo, and other items. The enemies were more scientific and while using the world 'believable' may be a big stretch, it wasn't really like the fantasy stuff it is today.

You would find important keys on tables, in lockers, and whatnot. In games like RE4, you kill a giant bug or something else that looks ridiculously out of place in the series, such as an ogre. Right? Then they drop a key or gold, or something else like a herb. This makes no sense. Even villagers that you can clearly see do not yield any guns, also dispense bullets. It's just absolutely dumb. But when you go on RE fan forums, they insist you're nuts for going on about tropes that Capcom is in charge of, like it's their franchise, so you just have to shut up and not offer any criticism.

RE4 just completely ruined the series. Not RE5 years later, as a lot of these Capcom fanboys love to claim. Plus, the RE4 remake is bound to have tons of content removed as well, despite the fact Capcom supposedly began work on it in 2018. I'm really going off of how they treated the RE2 and 3 remakes here, which did a lousy job of retaining the spirit of the originals.

Yet if you want to read other forums for people's opinions, they usually say things that makes zero sense. A lot of spiel about how M-Two ruined RE3 and stuff like that, when the RE2 remake by the in-house team at Capcom, was just as guilty for cutting out stuff. So these sheep who constantly blame RE3 and not 2 for doing the same thing first, just seem like awfully stupid corporate defenders in my eyes.

Ya know, I was thinking about it, and I wonder if there's a specific reason why RE 4 sort of took a wrong turn and jumped off a cliff (as even I remember THAT). Which is the tech behind it at the time.

Think about it: RE 1-3 were restricted by the original style... the prerendered backgrounds (which forced the constant viewpoint switching) and the oddball controls. These things forced the actual gameplay to a much slower pace, because if they had made it fast or if they threw too many enemies at you at once or something like that, the whole thing would have broken. Not to mention the PS1 hardware... it could only take so much. AND the controller. No dual stick!

I think that's part of what created that sort of initial "helpless" feeling that the old games had... you couldnt just be the fast-paced action hero because the system didnt allow it. And the devs couldnt just fill a level with 10 bazillion punching bag monsters either. So, the slower, more technical gameplay.

When 4 came out, the formula changed because suddenly, they didnt have to do that anymore... so they didnt. Not that it was super fast paced at all times with its over-the-shoulder camera (which was still a bit odd) but still, it caused a big shift in design. It let them start to nudge further towards the heavy action trends at the time.

And with a change in the pacing of the gameplay... and a change in what they could do with the camera... they started also drifting towards "spectacle". Some sort of like, I dunno, giant centipede boss that ran all over the place would never have worked in the originals because it would have been a super confusing mess and probably wouldnt have even fit right on the screen without them switching to a super odd perspective just for that fight. But it could work in the new format. So they started getting weird. Not to mention the jump in processing power and such. It also meant they could put lots of enemies in a room at once when previously they really just couldnt do that very well, not without some behind-the-scenes trickery.

I dunno, just my thoughts on it.

Another thing I find dumb about new RE games is having these villages and castles. You mean nobody comes through these areas and questions who resides in these venues. Really!? No aircraft flies overhead and sees the lycans running amok down below, where all the shacks are? :D

OK. I'm taken it too seriously, I know. But that's all precisely why RE sucks now. None of it adds up one bit. Like Ethan and Mia Winters and their daughter living in a village, just because Chris Redfield sent them there to confirm something. That's terrible writing. So you're really gonna send a family to live right next to what they've had issues with in the United States, knowing how unsafe that is? Like... uh? That's so meh.

Umbrella used to be the bad guys. They hid in plain sight. Meaning they were visible the whole time, but kept everybody buying their stock because of their heavily promoted miracle cures. Plus, their real experiments happened to occur in a lab, located underground, so it's not like a lot of people knew what they were really capable of. These days, they just keep talking about Umbrella supposedly being back, because they're trying to trick the old-school fans into still buying these games, hoping for a conclusion to the crap they keep making up on purpose. But it's obviously just bait.

New Threads

Top Bottom