• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Reptiles

Sypher37

V.I.P Member
Does anyone on here keep any reptiles? If so, what do you have?

I used to have many snakes about 6 years ago but sadly had to get rid of them when we had our firstborn as I was worried they would escape!

Since, I have just kept a very docile corn snake just so my kids can get used to reptiles. I miss having bigger snakes!

I've convinced my wife to let me get another bearded dragon soon! Woohoo!

I want a bearded dragon but just don't like the idea of feeding them live insects. If there was some way to bypass that I'd probably get one, finances approving of course.

CatherineRead is the resident reptile expert on here. She owns corn snakes if I'm not mistaken.

I am a dragon keeper, but he has no beard. This is Huxley.

1682943828934.jpeg

I had a lot of reptiles when I was younger. Bearded dragons, anoles, and leopard geckos.
I had a lot of amphibians as well.

Unfortunately, I was never allowed to have a snake, but now that I have my own house I could probably have any pet I want.

My own dogs are a full-time commitment so my experience with other species is limited to the animals who stay with me for boarding. I have had cats, birds, rabbits, fish, lizards, and guinea pigs stay with me, although the majority of my clients are dogs.

I had a lot of reptiles when I was younger. Bearded dragons, anoles, and leopard geckos.
I had a lot of amphibians as well.

Unfortunately, I was never allowed to have a snake, but now that I have my own house I could probably have any pet I want.

My own dogs are a full-time commitment so my experience with other species is limited to the animals who stay with me for boarding. I have had cats, birds, rabbits, fish, lizards, and guinea pigs stay with me, although the majority of my clients are dogs.
Bearded dragons are lovely pets to keep. They’re so docile! They have rather funny expressions too!

Snakes are good to keep also and quite straight forward.

As I’ve got kids, we had guinea pigs too, again very docile and lovely for children to have.

I want a bearded dragon but just don't like the idea of feeding them live insects. If there was some way to bypass that I'd probably get one, finances approving of course.

CatherineRead is the resident reptile expert on here. She owns corn snakes if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah that’s fair enough. They love their veg, but insects are definitely a main ingredient in their diet.

I like snakes also.
Had a Boa when I was a teenager that I raised from a baby.
Like many animals that people don't think about much, such as insects, frogs, fish,
they are so intelligent.

My Boa was very tame and liked to wrap himself around the arm of my chair.
They say don't mess with a snake when he is ready to shed his skin as they might bite, but mine appreciated help with the skin shedding process.
He would soak for a while in water which helped loosen the skin and then I would put my hands around his head, and he would crawl through my hands allowing me to pull the loosen skin off in this manner.

He was always like a pet with me and my parents and ran loose in the house a lot.
But he did not like strangers and if someone came into the house he didn't know
I would have to catch him and put him in his cage. He would go after the stranger.
He became too large to keep in the house and needed a lot of food.
I gave him to the local zoo at that point.

I always wanted an Iguana myself and living in Florida it would have been easy to keep one. It just never worked out due to where I lived to get one.
And now I'm moving to an apartment soon where I can't have anything like that at all.
Reptiles are good pets. :snake:

Someone posted about wanting a Kimodo Dragon once on here.
But they are very venomous. Don't think they would be a good choice.

In the last year or so I've become much more interested in the predatory habits of venomous reptiles. But then I suspect that it parallels- even compliments my formal study of totalitarian systems and mass authoritarian movements. It's true, that my particular top special interests are quite morbid.

Maybe I should have been another character in "The Addams Family". :cool:

Last edited:
@Mr. Stevens
Awww...
I wonder if she eats meat or only live prey?
It never showed.
And her eyes still look like she is shedding!

We have the Repticon shows here in Florida.
You can hold snakes, lizards, and even tarantulas.
The price of an exotic snake is expensive now.

Sadly, I do not have any reptiles at the moment...my cat would go after them too much and it is hard to find roommates who are not terrified of them. I used to have a Texas Bull snake, named Cedric. He lived about 9 years and was super tame. I also had a banded Eastern King snake, named Nigel, who was very shy. I ended up giving him back to my uncle, who has always kept lots of reptiles. I grew up in my grandmother's house, and we had a sweet Burmese python, named Spock, who lived under the couch in the living room and roamed freely. She would come out and cuddle you on the couch whenever you sat down. She got up to about 8 feet long before my grandma told my uncle she was too big to have run of the house....because my grandma was afraid the snake might harm her yorkie or one of the grandkids. My uncle kept her well fed and isolated her during shedding, so there was never a problem. But he kept her in his room after that. He kept all kinds of reptiles: soft shell turtles; boas, rat, corn and hognose snakes, rattle snakes (poisonous ones in the garage only...grandma said she didn't want to wake up with one in bed with her); iguanas and tiki lizards. The snakes were always very tame and friendly and I will definitely have more in the future. I think the lizards were the most problematic. Male iguanas can be aggressive sometimes and they can also carry amoebas, so having them walk around, getting poo all over is a health hazard. Some of the tiki lizards were mean. They would chase you out of a room hissing and snapping at anyone who came by. But I had one, named Gilgamesh, who was sweet. He was great for bug control!

Reptiles are my favorite animal... Even Dinosaurs, I don't care! <3

I even have a character named "Lizo" (not affiliated with the singer) who is a disgruntled lizard with a huge unibrow and he's like my flagship character.

Reptiles are my favorite animal... Even Dinosaurs, I don't care! <3

I even have a character named "Lizo" (not affiliated with the singer) who is a disgruntled lizard with a huge unibrow and he's like my flagship character.
Any chance you got a picture of Lizo you’d be willing to share?

I had a 4 foot iguana that I raised from a 8 inch puppy.

It tore a hole in it's cage door and would come out every day and follow the sun around (they always poop in the same place so once you know where, you put down papers and clean up each day).

He was pretty docile, but always wanted to climb as high as possible, which generally means "your head."

New Threads

Top Bottom