• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Repeating Yourself Over And Over

FromEquestria2LA

Who here as a problem of repeating what they say over and over?

I do. I sometimes expect a response from people about what I say, and they say "ENOUGH! STOP!"

Additionally, I lost a friend because I kept calling her constantly around the holiday in 2007 (ten years ago now) because I wanted to see her. Lesson learned for me.......... and this is why I don't have a GF. I'm much better at that now, thankfully.

I have that problem too. Most of the time, I'm not sure if people got what I was trying to say, and so I repeat it over and over until they either answer or they tell me to stop because it's annoying.

It was a big problem at oral exams in High School. Some teachers realized that I needed some kind of feedback and interrupted me as soon as they got what I was saying. But one teacher just waited for me to end talking, and in the end I got a really bad grade because it seemed as if I did not know enough.

Now, I often tell people to interrupt me as soon as it gets annoying, which helps a lot.

That seems to be a common Aspie trait.
I usually don't notice myself doing it until someone says "You just said that for the third time!" or, " Do you have to go around the world to give me a simple answer?"

It's a feeling of wanting to make sure the answer is completely clarified for me...I think.

I like Sebastian on NCIS New Orleans and Dr. Reid on Criminal Minds as the group is always interrupting their stories with a get to the point! :D

This is another habit of mine that my husband gets annoyed with,both my brother whom is on the spectrum aswell and i have this same habit and unfortunately my husband is caught between both of us :(

I saw my wife had broken up into extreme red faced laughter..

What's funny? I said.

Almost unable to speak,she said ' You've just been talking'

Apparently I was just talking for a really long time,without any pauses... sort of let her into the garbled brain a little.....

Similar to one of those 'did i just say that out loud?' moments.

Only .. 'did i just talk for fifteen minutes without realising?' - kind of moments -not as many get those kind of moments!

I may have forgotten that I've actually said what I had been thinking.
If husband jumps in with his comments and distracts my train of thought part way through my speaking I find I can't remember the point I was at.
(Unless I'm given a fraction of time to repeat everything that's been said so far quietly, in my mind - then I can usually get back on track)

I do this too. I know I am doing it most of the time. For me it is an effort at clarification. If I do not get a response I tend to assume there is confusion, so I try saying it another way. No response, repeat yet another way and so on. I stop if someone screams at me or says they understand or don't care or something.

I do this a lot, but not in the way it seems to be brought up here. I may discuss a topic three or four times one week, then repeat it months after. I've been called out on this a lot, but I only repeat myself because I forget I have already discussed that topic. Maybe it's just me being weird.

I do this a lot, but not in the way it seems to be brought up here. I may discuss a topic three or four times one week, then repeat it months after. I've been called out on this a lot, but I only repeat myself because I forget I have already discussed that topic. Maybe it's just me being weird.
That's what I do.
"I know, you've told us like a hundred times J" ..
But I didn't know I may be aspie till recently. So ive just been confused and self negative about these things. Thought I was just an awkward, wrong and weird kind.

That seems to be a common Aspie trait.
I usually don't notice myself doing it until someone says "You just said that for the third time!" or, " Do you have to go around the world to give me a simple answer?"

It's a feeling of wanting to make sure the answer is completely clarified for me...I think.

I like Sebastian on NCIS New Orleans and Dr. Reid on Criminal Minds as the group is always interrupting their stories with a get to the point! :D
In north east England it's very common we must all be aspies here
In the UK we have a channel called Dave ja vu - as a regular on the show called QI Alan Davies has a friend called Dave and he repeats himself, he says "they call me Dave ja vu they call me Dave ja vu "then a short time later a channel popped up with that name

I tend to unknowingly repeat both fragments and whole sections of my sentences, this repeating of my sentences often gets on other's nerves because my repeating of sentences often strains other's nerves. :(

I'll repeat a word over and over again in quick succession, I also have phrases that I say repeatedly in response to a pertaining situation. People just tune me out now, so I say them louder.

When I'm extremely stressed, I repeat myself often. I'm not even expecting a response. It's a weird self-soothing thing I do, like by repeating myself, I'm trying to get a better grasp on things. It's hard to describe, but it's a coping mechanism for me when I'm feeling overwhelmed. It also drives people crazy, but I'm okay with them saying STOP IT! which trust me, has happened to me a lot. I then just repeat myself later when I'm alone - I talk to myself excessively when I'm in that mode as well. Just learned to be alone when it's really bad, although I do think I sometimes come off as being a bit nutty.

Oh well. Good to know I'm not the only one who does it, though! LOL

I always get "You just talk and talk and talk..." :D
I often tell the same stories and jokes over and over and over, usually to the same people. I use the same expressions and figures of speech all the time as well.
I get told to shut up fairly often.
I think repeating things is somewhat of an Aspie trait, as every Aspie I've ever known has done it.

New Threads

Top Bottom