• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Remembering peoples names

Kempy

I'm awful at remembering peoples names. I remember other silly little facts about them but I really struggle with names. My friends know I struggle and sometimes find it funny. Sometimes I think that my brain just ignores things like names as if they are not important. Does anyone else have the same problem?

I'm pretty much the opposite, I actually remember so many people's name, but the difficult part is, if I know some that looks like the person, I tend to actually get the names mixed up. :lol2:

I need to read a certain name and see his/her face at least five times before I remember their names AND faces.

Because I normally only remember names if I have seen them written down, once I finally learn their first name I usually know their last name as well.

I find names very difficult to remember in general. I tend to remember people by what they do and will usually describe them to others as such.

I also find it hard to remember the names sometimes. It depends of the person and the name itself. If the person is interesting and I want to get to know him/her I remember the person`s name easily.

But it also depends of the name too. If the name is too popular which about every tenth person have I won`t remember it easily. But if it`s unique name then I remember it.

I remember faces a lot better, than I remember names. It can take me up to two weeks, to remember a difficult name.

I'm very good when it comes to remembering a persons face, even when I see them once, the chances of me remembering it is 80% of the times. :D

My short term memory is barely worth having at all.

So to remember things I need to consciously commit them to long-term memory. Unfortunately when I meet people for the first time there are too many other things to think about to make that conscious effort, so the name simply slips away.

In other words I almost NEVER remember people's names until I have met them at least 2 or 3 times.

My short term memory is barely worth having at all.

So to remember things I need to consciously commit them to long-term memory. Unfortunately when I meet people for the first time there are too many other things to think about to make that conscious effort, so the name simply slips away.

In other words I almost NEVER remember people's names until I have met them at least 2 or 3 times.

I'm worse! I need to repeat the name 5 times...

I'm bad with names. I think it's laziness, I don't bother to commit them to memory. I remember faces better, but I can forget them too (awkwardness...).

It's embarrassing because I teach biology labs here at school. Sometimes it's the end of the term and I still don't remember somebody's name. I rely on the fact that people sit in the same groups/place every day, so that I can remember that it is one of those four names and I will figure it out again listening to them talk with each other. I remember names better when people stand out in appearance or attitude.

Well... my class used to be quiet so maybe in the end of the term, 'excuse me, what's your name again'?

I am very good at remembering names and what these people did, but faces..I am not very good at remembering them.
What about voices? Are you good at recognising voices?
I am not very apt in that regard, there are some people who sound exactly the same as others...

I was never good remembering names including family. That cause I have a large family. Working for a temp agency does not help either as they keep sending me to new work sites so I need to keep learning new names.

New Threads

Top Bottom