• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Rejected for the Undateables again!?!

Based just on this thread, I got the impression that having the show would be more a sign of bigotry than not having it. Am I misunderstanding the show when I think it's exploiting and subtly ridiculing people for the entertainment and ego of the general public?

Based just on this thread, I got the impression that having the show would be more a sign of bigotry than not having it. Am I misunderstanding the show when I think it's exploiting and subtly ridiculing people for the entertainment and ego of the general public?

That's an interesting question. Some think it serves a kindly purpose towards such people. Others may see it as just a veiled excuse for a much broader audience to experience a form of Schadenfreude. Delight over the misfortune of others.

The thing is, one can pontificate over the virtues of having such programming, while not having any real sense of the demographic who may watch it only to see the struggles and humiliation of others.

In my own case, I can't imagine my being on a contrived date coming under the scrutiny of thousands of viewers. No way, no matter what my neurological considerations might be. Andy Warhol can have those "fifteen minutes of fame". Such potential humiliation isn't worth it.

It also concerns me over the possibility of such people being cast to be on the show who may have a diminished sense of being humiliated who may serve as even a greater target in being made sport of in an otherwise very personal situation.

Last edited:
That's an interesting question. Some think it serves a kindly purpose towards such people. Others may see it as just a veiled excuse for a much broader audience to experience a form of Schadenfreude. Delight over the misfortune of others.

The thing is, one can pontificate over the virtues of having such programming, while not having any real sense of the demographic who may watch it only to see the struggles of others.

In my own case, I can't imagine my being on a contrived date coming under the scrutiny of thousands of viewers. No way, no matter what my neurological considerations might be. Andy Warhol can have those "fifteen minutes of fame". Such potential humiliation isn't worth it.

If its purpose was kindness, wouldn't the title be less insulting?

If its purpose was kindness, wouldn't the title be less insulting?

Precisely. ;)

The intent and even how the show is produced from beginning to end may be laced with good intentions, but ultimately I suspect a majority of the audience solicited does not necessarily share those good intentions when observing such things. A dynamic that is probably not lost on the show's producers.

Worse still if some of the participants of this show are unaware or incapable of understanding how such programming may be sending very mixed messages.

Last edited:
My own impression of the show is not positive. My wife and I, who you may remember is both a qualified social worker and has done extensive work with both autistic and physically disabled people, is that it veered too far into voyeurism. If you already have a constructive view of disability you may gain positive messages from it, but if your view is negative or even ambivalent it does nothing to improve the general understanding of either. I wanted to like the show but was put off dramatically.

who you may remember is both a qualified social worker.

I love social workers! They are always amazing, in my experience. I'm pretty sure it's part of the requirements for being a social worker or a nurse that you need to literally be an angel. ;)

You're married to an angel! Wow! :eek:

I love social workers! They are always amazing, in my experience. I'm pretty sure it's part of the requirements for being a social worker or a nurse that you need to literally be an angel. ;)

You're married to an angel! Wow! :eek:

I don't mind them, we've had some good ones before now, just a shame the local Social services are run by a pack of numpties.

I would recommend diversifying your interests. Maybe there are other shows and other things you can apply for besides the Undateables. If you think your appearance might be a factor, maybe there are positive things you can aim for to work on yourself that will help make you stand out for such a show or for other opportunities. Consider that.

New Threads

Top Bottom