• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Rejected for every job I've applied to lately. What equal opportunities !?!

I didn't say she got refused the position for wearing the wrong earrings. I don't know what the Jeremy Kyle show is but I was just trying to help.

One thing I learned the hard way when it comes to jobs: NETWORKING! Getting in with influential people makes all the difference. Quite often, positions are already 'filled' before they are even posted. This is especially true with higher paying positions. Caterpillar often operates like this. In your volunteer work, it might help to make yourself better acquainted with those you work for/with. A possible example: let's say you are into graphics/web design as a hobby. You happen to mention this to a coworker or supervisor who turns out to have similar interests and expresses a desire to see some of your work. You show it to them and they are impressed and mention that so and so is looking for folks with such talents or the coworker is employed or has clout with a firm that is looking for such talent and offers to put in a word for you. Doors start to open.

You need to remember that any job requiring face-to-face communication with clients/customers, means the employer is looking for the person who is the best fit for being the 'public face' of their organization.
Since aspies are generally (but not always) at a disadvantage where good communication is key to their position, they are usually more suited to behind-the-scenes situations.
Perhaps you might have more success if you steered clear of customer service roles.

Finding job(s) that fit you enough or that you're willing to do is hard.

I don't know for sure, but just my impression of reading your posts throughout the months at random, I get the sense that people you interview with can sense that it might be difficult to work with you socially. If you can find a program where they help you find a part time job for people with disabilities or one where you can work with a job mentor, I sense you might qualify. Good luck.

That sucks. Sorry to hear it.

I wonder: is there any way you could volunteer to do your training for free? Work your way into a paid position?

If you can cook or make something you might could sell your wares on Facebook. It's illegal, but people still do it. Check out the group Fresno Clovis Buy and Sell:
Fresno/Clovis food buy and sell

That sucks. Sorry to hear it.

I wonder: is there any way you could volunteer to do your training for free? Work your way into a paid position?

If you can cook or make something you might could sell your wares on Facebook. It's illegal, but people still do it. Check out the group Fresno Clovis Buy and Sell:
Fresno/Clovis food buy and sell

2 things:

1: I can't run a Business from the Flat
2: See 1, especially an ILLEGAL Business.

Do you see?

"Equal opportunities" does not mean employing people who not the best for the position just because they happen to be disabled. Maybe you should stop blaming every failure on you disabilities and instead accept that you are just one of dozens of people who were also rejected, not because of disability, but because they were not the best person interviewed. Put a lot of thought and effort into why you really did not get the job and what you can do to change that, plenty of people on here have given you advise which you seem to consistently ignore and even take offence to, despite the fact that they are genuinely trying to help you. Thinking of yourself as a victim may be comfortable, but it is not productive.

I'm sorry this happened again. I used to have a friend who would phone after rejections to politely ask them if they would tell her why she wasn't picked or if there was anything they recommend she change for a future interview.
I have done this for every job I have every been rejected for at interview stage. Mostly it's just a matter of there being other people with more experience or who where a better fit for the position, but I have almost always got at least 1 useful piece of advise from the employer. Often things that I hadn't even thought about, like my posture (I slump when I'm nervous), and on a couple of occasions some vital tips on ways to gain more experience or network within the field. Sometimes it's thing I am well aware of, such as one employer who bluntly told me that they thought I was too socially awkward for the position; I could have taken offence and claimed they were discriminating against ASD, but instead I appreciated the honesty, and took it into account when choosing jobs to apply for in future. I would 100% recommend that anyone job searching makes a habit of following up on rejections like this.

Yes I know, sorry I didnt mean to,sound arrogant but I was having another chat with someone with schizoid affective disorder who was really self indulging and I posted a response here and got confused.really sorry you sound like a lovely person.sorry again
No problem. :) I was really confused as to what I had said wrong, thanks for explaining.

i'm sorry you are having a hard time,
it is not easy,

bear in mind though that equal opportunities does not mean equal results, regrettably, it just means that you were likely not the best candidate

PS: Sometime, if you have been rejected, you can call them and they can give you feedback, it can help you focus on what exactly you need to do.

So sorry, Mr Allen; Being a member of the "lost generation," as Simon Baron-Cohen refers to us on the Spectrum who are older and had to live life without a diagnosis until later in life, I feel your pain. This was on CBS Sunday Morning today and I think it's about time we are considered viable, valuable employees due to our being on the Spectrum. Welcoming autism into the workplace

Above.

And I didn't declare my AS and other problems either! Also, I can't help that nearly all my retail experience is in Charity shops, it's literally been the only work I've ever been able to get.

Am I unemployable? I feel I've wasted the last 20 odd years doing voluntary to get a 3 page CV of experience because I can't even get a poxy part time position selling Cookies.

Seriously WTH!
You know what, man. I feel you because that's what's happening to me. I feel like a square peg being forced into a round hole.

So sorry, Mr Allen; Being a member of the "lost generation," as Simon Baron-Cohen refers to us on the Spectrum who are older and had to live life without a diagnosis until later in life, I feel your pain. This was on CBS Sunday Morning today and I think it's about time we are considered viable, valuable employees due to our being on the Spectrum. Welcoming autism into the workplace
Thanks for sharing that link. I was diagnosed at 37 and I am guessing that this counts as later in life. I am definitely a member of the "lost generation."

Rich - why don't you try to get a job in inventory control where you would have little contact with others. You have tons of volunteer retail experience which implies to me that you know how to take a store inventory. Grocery stores here hire part time and often disabled workers to take inventory and restock the shelves. It's worth a try.

Rich - why don't you try to get a job in inventory control where you would have little contact with others. You have tons of volunteer retail experience which implies to me that you know how to take a store inventory. Grocery stores here hire part time and often disabled workers to take inventory and restock the shelves. It's worth a try.

Shelf stacking? With my back problems? How about no? OK I've had all the training for heavy lifting, back straight, knees bent, don't lift more than you can handle etc, but I still have back problems.

Shelf stacking? With my back problems? How about no? OK I've had all the training for heavy lifting, back straight, knees bent, don't lift more than you can handle etc, but I still have back problems.
My mum is 72 years old and has brittle bone disease but she stacks shelves for Sainsbury because her work ethic drives het to. I dont know how old you are but you sound very defeatist and unwilling to take the bull by its horns. A very nice person suggested something to you and you responded defensively almost attacking them, your back problems are not autistic and I think its about time you found a job and stopped vampyring sympathy from otherwise good willing people who are genuinely struggling with real things like children and aspergers syndrome. Sorry.

Try not to get too frustrated Rich.

I’m not sure it has much to do with equal opportunities.

A couple of months ago I applied for work with the (huge) company I used to work for. Same job, same hours.

In effect, I could hit the ground running in that role. Pick up where I left off.
I didn’t even reach the interview stage.
They can pay under 21s less money to do the same work.

Accept, No, GRASP with both hands! any help offered by agencies who are helping you get into work.

What I wouldn’t give for that kind of assistance at the moment. (I have no help because I don’t meet any sort of criteria.

Being registered disabled doesn’t give you an automatic entitlement to a job.

It means the company may consider any adaptations they need to make for you to carry out the role.

It is frustrating Rich, I do know how frustrating it all is.

Your luck may change soon, retail always need extra seasonals in the run up to Christmas :)
The Royal Mail always recruit extra sorting staff at sorting offices from late October too :)

My mum is 72 years old and has brittle bone disease but she stacks shelves for Sainsbury because her work ethic drives het to. I dont know how old you are but you sound very defeatist and unwilling to take the bull by its horns. A very nice person suggested something to you and you responded defensively almost attacking them, your back problems are not autistic and I think its about time you found a job and stopped vampyring sympathy from otherwise good willing people who are genuinely struggling with real things like children and aspergers syndrome. Sorry.

I'm 42.

New Threads

Top Bottom