• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Recruiting participants for a study on autism, emotion regulation, masking, and human-animal interactions

Hello everyone!

My name is Harrison Chapman, a doctoral candidate and autistic researcher, in Counseling Psychology at the University of Georgia. I am inviting you to take part in a research study for a dissertation, which explores different ways autistic adults regulate their emotions. In the study, I aim to center the experiences of the autism community in research on emotion regulation and understand various ways autistic adults adapt their emotions, the impact masking has on adjusting emotions, and the ways animals may provide emotional support. You do not have to have a pet to participate.

Eligibility includes:
Any autistic adult who is 18+ or older, with or without a professional diagnosis, and can provide legal consent
The survey take approximately 30 minutes to complete and consists of:
  • Informed consent
  • Close-ended questions
  • Three open-ended questions
  • Demographics
Your participation in the study will aid in understanding way the adult autistic community regulate emotions and more understanding about the human-animal bond. The study is IRB approved (PROJECT00006156). Additionally, if you provide an email address, you will be entered in a random drawing for 1 of 5 $25.00 Amazon Gift cards. You do not have to enter the drawing to complete the survey. You may enter for the drawing without participating in the research.

Click the link below if you would like to participate.

https://ugeorgia.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7P5hgU0PplWF4Ue

Please feel free to share the link to the study to others who may be interested in participating.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact me at [email protected]. I can also respond here as well.

Harrison Chapman
Doctoral Candidate
The University of Georgia
Department of Counseling and Human Development
[email protected]

Attachments

• Autism_HAI Study Flyer .pdf
    80.6 KB · Views: 85
When constructing such a survey, keep in mind that there are three major, conflicting paradigms about the nature of autism,...
  1. All autism is defective, just to varying degrees. (Autism Speaks)
  2. All autism is neuro-diversity, regardless of functioning level. (Many here)
  3. Basic autism is neuro-diversity, similar to giftedness (and likely genetic). Severe co-morbid conditions are defects. (Dr. Martha Herbert)

When constructing such a survey, keep in mind that there are three major, conflicting paradigms about the nature of autism,...
  1. All autism is defective, just to varying degrees. (Autism Speaks)
  2. All autism is neuro-diversity, regardless of functioning level. (Many here)
  3. Basic autism is neuro-diversity, similar to giftedness (and likely genetic). Severe co-morbid conditions are defects. (Dr. Martha Herbert)
Hello Crossbreed,

Thank you for your comment and sharing with me. If you would elaborate, I would appreciate hearing more about if there was something in particular about the survey or your experiences with it that led to your response? I always appreciate feedback and input.

Additionally, I am aware of the various paradigms that researchers and professionals have approached understanding autism. As a researcher and practitioner, I am informed and influenced by the neurodiversity and critical autism theories.

Thank you!

If you would elaborate, I would appreciate hearing more about if there was something in particular about the survey or your experiences with it that led to your response? I always appreciate feedback and input.
The motives & experiences consequential of severe co-morbids are not representative of autism proper.

Two of my children ASD2 & 3 have difficulties above and beyond autism with co-morbids of varying degrees of cognitive dysfunction. Neither of them would understand your survey.
34yo ASD2 son has a mental age of 6-10yo and lower executive function development.
Non-verbal, 28yo ASD3 daughter has a m.a. of 18mos.

My [ASD1] difficulties, OTOH, are more consistent with the gifted community, including those not diagnosed with ASD.

Non-ASD gifted can switch on their social instincts when needed.
ASD gifted [a.k.a. 2e] cannot.

Last edited:
The motives & experiences consequential of severe co-morbids are not representative of autism proper.

Two of my children ASD2 & 3 have difficulties above and beyond autism with co-morbids of varying degrees of cognitive dysfunction. Neither of them would understand your survey.
34yo ASD2 son has a mental age of 6-10yo and lower executive function development.
Non-verbal, 28yo ASD3 daughter has a m.a. of 18mos.

My [ASD1] difficulties, OTOH, are more consistent with the gifted community, including those not diagnosed with ASD.
Thank you for your response and sharing with me. I greatly appreciate your openness. You are right that the survey being conducted online creates an issue of accessibility, and a larger concern with autism research including all voices. While this part of the research is being conducted online, some of my future research plans in the areas of emotion regulation and animal interaction will be conducted in person with options for accommodations for hopefully more inclusion in the study. Again, I am very thankful for you sharing yours and your children's experiences with me and engaging in this discussion about accessibility to research because it is so very important.

Just wanted to thank you for talking about pets as being 'someone' in your survey, not everybody's able to recognize they have this kind of importance to many. This put a smile on my face.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

My name is Harrison Chapman, a doctoral candidate and autistic researcher, in Counseling Psychology at the University of Georgia. I am inviting you to take part in a research study for a dissertation, which explores different ways autistic adults regulate their emotions. In the study, I aim to center the experiences of the autism community in research on emotion regulation and understand various ways autistic adults adapt their emotions, the impact masking has on adjusting emotions, and the ways animals may provide emotional support. You do not have to have a pet to participate.

Eligibility includes:
Any autistic adult who is 18+ or older, with or without a professional diagnosis, and can provide legal consent
The survey take approximately 30 minutes to complete and consists of:
  • Informed consent
  • Close-ended questions
  • Three open-ended questions
  • Demographics
Your participation in the study will aid in understanding way the adult autistic community regulate emotions and more understanding about the human-animal bond. The study is IRB approved (PROJECT00006156). Additionally, if you provide an email address, you will be entered in a random drawing for 1 of 5 $25.00 Amazon Gift cards. You do not have to enter the drawing to complete the survey. You may enter for the drawing without participating in the research.

Click the link below if you would like to participate.

https://ugeorgia.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7P5hgU0PplWF4Ue

Please feel free to share the link to the study to others who may be interested in participating.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact me at [email protected]. I can also respond here as well.

Harrison Chapman
Doctoral Candidate
The University of Georgia
Department of Counseling and Human Development
[email protected]
I'll take a look at this when I have time, I've been quite busy today.

Just wanted to thank you for talking about pets as being 'someone' in your survey, not everybody's able to recognize they have this kind of importance to many. This put a smile on my face.
You are welcome! I am glad it was able to make you smile. I completely agree with you. Thank you!
I'll take a look at this when I have time, I've been quite busy today.
That sounds good. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to participate!

Do you mean what you said, that you are autistic and you're a researcher, aka "autistic researcher," or did you mean that you are an "autism researcher," in that your specialty is to research autism?

Do you mean what you said, that you are autistic and you're a researcher, aka "autistic researcher," or did you mean that you are an "autism researcher," in that your specialty is to research autism?
That is a great question, and was not very clear from me. I suppose both. I am autistic, myself and studying autism is one of my areas of interest in research as well. But in this case, I meant to say that I am autistic and a researcher.

Again, I am very thankful for you sharing yours and your children's experiences with me and engaging in this discussion about accessibility to research because it is so very important.
My point was when you survey ASD2 & 3, you are not just evaluating autism, you are also evaluating pronounced secondary conditions, as well.

Severe OCD (like my son has) would be a spoiler to your results. Did he select this answer because of his autism or his OCD...?

Sounds great! I completed the survey!

Don't be scared off by the estimate of 30 minutes to complete the survey. I'm sure for the majority of us, it will take less than 15. I understand estimating at 30 minutes though.

My point was when you survey ASD2 & 3, you are not just evaluating autism, you are also evaluating pronounced secondary conditions, as well.

Severe OCD (like my son has) would be a spoiler to your results. Did he select this answer because of his autism or his OCD...?
Thank you for adding to what you are saying. Yes, there are high rates of co-occurring diagnoses and conditions in the autism community. While I ask about general co-occurring diagnoses in the survey, you are right that the primary goal of the survey is not to assess the impact of multiple diagnoses on emotion regulation. One, I would say that while that is not the primary goal, I do ask about it as a way to report in the research rates of other diagnoses and also can look at if that had any impact on other things measured in the survey. Also, this study is largely exploratory to understand how the autism community feels about and how they use emotion regulation strategies and animal interaction. From this, a follow up study could look the further the impact of co-occurring diagnoses on emotion regulation strategies in the autism community. I would not say it is a spoiler to the results as high rates of co-occurring diagnoses in the autism community is well documented and taken in consideration with that being the case. Though I will say it is a limitation to the study, and the fact that the study is exploratory, I will not make casual clams about anything in the study, as follow up is needed.

Sounds great! I completed the survey!

Don't be scared off by the estimate of 30 minutes to complete the survey. I'm sure for the majority of us, it will take less than 15. I understand estimating at 30 minutes though.
Thank you for participating in the survey! and thank you for sharing about the time as well. I appreciate it!

You are welcome! I am glad it was able to make you smile. I completely agree with you. Thank you!

That sounds good. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to participate!
I was really busy again today, I’m preparing to apply for a summer job tomorrow; if I have time tomorrow I’ll try then.

HI @this_is_my_username - love the username

I have filled in the form. There seem to be some typos in the form.
Also Alexithymia do not seem to have been taken into account as a factor of emotional regulation. How do you think this plays in - Just asking.

HI @this_is_my_username - love the username

I have filled in the form. There seem to be some typos in the form.
Also Alexithymia do not seem to have been taken into account as a factor of emotional regulation. How do you think this plays in - Just asking.
Hi @Alexej!

Thank you! I appreciate you completing it. Oh no, dang! I tried to make sure I looked for typos. Thank you for catching it! I will edit the survey.

That is a great questions! I considered adding a scale on alexithymia within the survey. I opted not to for this study. For this study, I wanted to just capture different emotion regulation strategies and how the autism community engages with emotion regulation. The study is meant to be exploratory to first understand more about what the community reports, including things like alexithymia. In emotion regulation, depending on the theory, accurately assessing what emotion is present is important to adjust the emotion or recognize what strategy to use to regulate. So with that, alexithymia could play a role in impacting a person's emotional recognition. I know there is some research out there that looks at the role alexithymia plays on emotion regulation for the autism community. From this study, I think that is another area to follow-up on.

New Threads

Top Bottom