• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Recipes for Survival

gravy

melt 1/4 cup of butter in a small saucepan.
whisk in 1/3 cup of flour until you have a paste called a roux.
Add 2 cups of water or broth.
Stir until boiling and thickened.
Season.

It's fruit season! Here are some recipes for fruit that needs to get used quickly:

Fruit Compote

Fruit (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, cranberries, peaches, cherries, plums, or a mix)
Sugar or honey
Couple tbsp water

Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Partly mash while stirring. Don't allow to burn. Add more water if necessary.
Cook until thickened and reduced.
Serve hot or cold on yogurt, bananas, ice cream, pancakes, toast, oatmeal, etc

Sorbet
Frozen fruit (frozen bananas work also!)
Sugar or honey
Couple tbsp water

Blend in high-speed blender. You may need to stop and scrape down sides.
Serve immediately.

Thank you, that is the best description of gravy from scratch I have ever read
Most ppl I know recommend using the instant stuff, but it all seems to have unwholesome ingredients.

I have no idea what those canned ingredients are, and homemade gravy tastes better anyway.

Plus, it is cheaper to make your own compared with buying some dried mix or canned stuff, and you're not wasting the juices and fat from cooking the meat. A thrifty and tasty survival recipe.

I caught some kind of stomach flu from the grandkids the other day. Ugh. My stomach is still unhappy so I'm making a big pot of chicken stock right now. I'll use some of it to make plain chicken noodle soup to eat tonight and freeze the rest of it in containers for later use. I'm in survivor mode today because my stomach hurts.

Stock is easy to make. I put about 5 pounds of raw chicken parts I had saved in the freezer from spatch-cocking whole chickens, wing tips, trimmings from whole chicken breasts, etc. in my big stockpot. I added one large onion, 2 large carrots, three celery stalks and their leaves, a heaping teaspoon of whole black peppercorns, 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, 5 or 6 garlic cloves cut in half, 4 bay leaves, and several large sprigs of thyme, dill and parsley from the garden. Then covered it generously with cold water, brought it to a boil, turned it down to simmer uncovered, skimmed off the foam that always appears when you make stock, and set the timer for 4 hours.

When the stock has reduced by about 2/3 in volume, I'll let it cool and then strain it with a colander - not a fine mesh sieve. I use a colander because the holes are larger which allows more of the tasty solids to remain in the stock.

Homemade stock is so much better than the canned or boxed stuff. The kitchen already smells great.

My grandmother who was a seasoned cook, took the meat pan from oven. Removed meat. And there would be some burnt dark pieces in the pan. She would add a couple tablespoons of water to it. Take the pan with oven mitt and put pan corner on gas burner. There she would dislodge all the dark pieces with a fork which would breakdown and create a dark sauce. Add some more water, dislodge more. Then off the burner and on a trivet or something. Here she grabbed a couple of spoons of flour and slowly mixed in one at a time. She then would combine this with the liquid that the cooked meat had released once removed from oven. This creates a very dark rich gravy if you have pork or such. She was a sweet Italien lady who l still miss dearly.

Alrighty. Cucumber soup sounds great, also take out the hot stuff, put in mint, and you are visiting Greece in your mouth.
I love making Tzatziki. It's cucumber cut fine, in plain yogurt with dill, and then seasoned to taste.

For fun:

1707334450728.png

New Threads

Top Bottom