• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Recipes for Survival

Skittlebisquit

Just keep trying, victory brings glory
V.I.P Member
This thread is to post recipes, whatever you like. Recipe links too, church box inspirations, my favorite substitutions, I only have the one pan and a candle to work with, all the way to hot damn why don't you cook on tv.

Basic panbread(flapjack,pancake,etc)

You don't need the mix stuff, I never buy it, too poor. Plus i don't eat that which i cant pronounce after three drinks, as a matter of policy.

I always buy eggs by the flat(60) so I put that in like everything. I will encourage vegan flapjack posts, but have no clue

2 eggs, some milk(just guess, like almost a coffee cup full) oil( about half a shot) 1tablespoon

On the oil. I buy mine in a gigantic super heavy container, then pour it into a wine bottle( funnels are for sissies) and put one of those pourer things in the top(like for liquor)

Anyways whip the sin out of that with a whisk, add a tablespoon of yogurt if you want. To that add about 2/3 cup quick oats. Then do the other part.

I have a Tupperware thing that holds 6 cups of flower, there is a 1/3 cup measure that lives in it.
1 cup of flour and two teaspoons of aluminum free baking powder. I use a hand crank sifter, but if you don't have one just use a dry fork.

That's basically it, mix the two together and cut with water until it's thick as soup/stew. The thicker the batter, the taller the cakes, kinda.

Fun substitutions. Aka I forgot stuff at the store again, and I'm not getting dressed

Today I used chocolate milk, and a splash of sunny delight in place of water.

I cook them in a nonstick pan on 3-4
You have to flip them and cook both sides, remember to use a plastic spatula in a nonstick pan
Yum yum

Chilled cucumber soup.

Ingredients:

2 large cucumbers, peeled
1 garlic clove
Juice of 1 to 2 lemons
Chili flakes
Olive oil
Salt & black pepper

Preparation:
Roughly chop the cucumbers. Blitz them in a food processor with the garlic clove. Add the lemon juice and a glug of olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and chili flakes. Serve chilled.

I like to garnish the soup with some fresh mint and crumbled feta, but some thinly sliced red onion and tomatoes works well too.

Alrighty. Cucumber soup sounds great, also take out the hot stuff, put in mint, and you are visiting Greece in your mouth.

If anyone likes Indian food, you can find some good recipes at YourFoodLab. One of our favorites that we cook often is the chicken cooker pulau, even though I'm mostly vegetarian. Best tip I can give in many of these recipes that call for garam masala is to substitute with butter chicken masala if you have it.

Also, you can Google Bhavna's kitchen for more similar recipes, with a more regional taste. There are even Indianized version of western meals like pasta and Mexican which taste even better.

You can build a house using hay bales, reinforced with wooden or steel beams, covered in plaster or plywood, and it'll be really well insulated.

Oh, my mistake, it's a recipe thread!

I thought it was a survival skills thread.

Moving on....

P.S. whatcha got cooking?

I have never built a straw bale house before, but I've seen lots of pictures

Tonight I am preparing

Frozen freakin chicken

I buy thighs, that's what I like. So when i get this big package, i split it up into quart sized ziploc bags, then freeze it same as hamburger. Grocery day is a dangerous time. Within two days that packaging needs to be gone, or the wild animal friends will be attracted. Nothing smells worse than chicken packaging, it's truly vile.

Does anyone own a vacuum sealer? Super spendy, but well worth the money. Anyways I grew up washing out plastic bags, but I don't do that anymore. One use then throw away. I still wash them, but just to make the trash less smelly

You will need
10 inch cast iron pan, with a lid( no you may not use a plate, c'mon man)
1 pound of chicken thighs
(Frozen freakin chicken)

Half an onion( cut the whole thing up and freeze the other half, right now, not tomorrow)

Oil and butter

Add oil and butter to pan set on 4
Wait patiently singing happy songs

Add chopped onion, and chopped bell peppers(only sometimes) cover. Wait. Stir. Wait. Stir. Don't try and do dishes you will burn it all.

Place frozen freakin chicken on top of onion mess. Season frozen freakin chicken in a mighty mighty way. (Its a secret, sorry) turn down burner to like two. Now it's ok to do some dishes, or else put on the radio and dance with reckless abandon to 3(three) songs. Check the bok bok. If it's thawed out it will be squishy.
If it's frozen it will be cold and not squishy. It needs to be thawed out to cook it.

You are supposed to own tongs, it's part of being a grown up, they sell them at good will and the dollar store. If you are using a fork instead then bring careful..

Flipper skipper and turn up the heat to like 4. Season again( still a secret sorry) cover that up, with a real lid, not a plate or a pie pan or something janky like that.
SAFETY FIRST!

now is the time to start the rice..
Its ez...

You need a sauce pan with a lid, some rice, water that's safe to drink, some oil, and seven secret herbs and spices, also some frozen veggies
( peas,beans,carrots,corn)

Two parts water one part rice. There are many rice like materials. K that's super confusing..

They are not at all rice like but they cook similar, pretty much. Pearled barley is a favorite.

Get the water boiling(lid rattles) add oil, add secret seasonings, sing bumblebee bee song(2 verses) then add rice and keep stirring. Turn it on down Leroy Brown. To like low. Add about 1 cup frozen veggies, stir, cover and wait. You should really set a timer or an alarm or something. White rice takes like 20 min, brown rice about 50. Be bold

If you do it right then the rice and the chicken will be done at about the same time. You can tell when the chicken is done because you can just tell. [ needs edit]

[Remember to let the chicken thaw out at a low temp setting like on two, before you really cook it like on 4.]

I eat some just like that, then cube up the chicken, and mix it with the rice then add some whole milk plain yogurt and stir it up lil darlin, stir it up. It makes good burritos

Last edited:
Food stamp pantry

Staples are not just to hold paper together it's also a word for supplies, as in pantry staples. Its s short list. The tighter is your budget the more important is menu planning, when resources are limited your food choices are more important. I have a big freezer( I'm over 40)

Always, never and only sometimes.

Always buy meat in bulk and split it up and freeze it in smaller packages.

Always buy 85/15 or better hamburger 10lbs at a time.

Always buy eggs by the flat. they last for like 6 weeks refrigerated.

Never buy huge sacks of flour, it goes bad and gets bugs in it.

Always use food service grade buckets for dry food storage. You get them from a donut shop. Wash before use

Never buy bisquik, it's nasty

Whole milk plain yogurt mixed with water works just fine in place of milk. It lasts longer in the fridge

Canned pasta sauce is gross. You can make it with v8 and starch plus seasoning. I always buy the little cans. It spoils really fast

Always buy block or shredded cheese, single slice cheese is for soccer moms

Always buy big bags of frozen veggies and split it up and refreeze

Store bought bread is the worst choice you can make, but I buy it sometimes anyways.

Last edited:
Biker Chops

You really should buy a half or a whole pork loin instead of pork chops and just cut it into slices an freeze it separately. Loin has no bones

You will need
10 inch pan with lid
Two chops
1 apple
Cinnamon

Cut up the apple and put it in a bowl. Season with cinnamon, set aside

Turn heat to 4
Preheat pan, add just a bit of oil,
Add some apples and the chops cover with more apple slices. Wait patiently. Flip the chops, use tongs. Recover the chops with the apple slices. Cover pan
Turn down heat to like 2-3. Add 1/2 can cheap domestic beer, or use water. Cover pan
Check occasionally. When apples are soft and squishy and kinda brown, and most of the water is gone it should be ready.

This is made in Hawaii by the local people as a lite lunch.

Coleslaw pkg and Asian type dressing add in green onions or red and apples or mangos, maybe sliced almonds. Then take a ramen pkg, and break noodles and mix in salad.

I like to cook the noodles and mix them in, and chopped tofu or if you would rather, faux chicken, cheap and very lite lunch.

Loco Moco. A bomb Hawaiian recipe.

Make a bed of cooked rice
Put a hamburger on top
Put a fried egg on top of that
Cover it all in gravy!

Gravy is equal amounts of fat and flour with a liquid added after you "toast" the flour in the fat. It took me years to learn to make a good gravy.

If you cook some kind of meat such as a roast or chicken, remove the cooked meat to a platter. Leave the crusty brown bits in the pan. Pour the pan juices into a measuring cup, let the fat rise to the top. Skim off the fat and reserve 3 or 4 tablespoons of it. If you don't have 3-4 TBS of fat from the meat, then add butter or vegetable oil to the meat fat to make up the difference.

Return the reserved fat to the pan, medium heat. Stir in 3-4 tablespoons of flour, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes. (You are browning the flour so it won't taste raw. This is called a roux.)

Add 3 cups of a liquid (the meat juices, water, milk and/or broth) all at once and stir like crazy. It will blend together and start to thicken. Simmer and stir for about 3 minutes.

Add salt and pepper. If you want to get fancy, add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and a pinch of dried thyme.

Once you learn how to make basic gravy, you can cook some diced onions, peppers, or mushrooms in the fat before you add the flour. Onion and mushroom gravy, yum.

Gravy is equal amounts of fat and flour with a liquid added after you "toast" the flour in the fat. It took me years to learn to make a good gravy.

If you cook some kind of meat such as a roast or chicken, remove the cooked meat to a platter. Leave the crusty brown bits in the pan. Pour the pan juices into a measuring cup, let the fat rise to the top. Skim off the fat and reserve 3 or 4 tablespoons of it. If you don't have 3-4 TBS of fat from the meat, then add butter or vegetable oil to the meat fat to make up the difference.

Return the reserved fat to the pan, medium heat. Stir in 3-4 tablespoons of flour, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes. (You are browning the flour so it won't taste raw. This is called a roux.)

Add 3 cups of a liquid (the meat juices, water, milk and/or broth) all at once and stir like crazy. It will blend together and start to thicken. Simmer and stir for about 3 minutes.

Add salt and pepper. If you want to get fancy, add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and a pinch of dried thyme.

Once you learn how to make basic gravy, you can cook some diced onions, peppers, or mushrooms in the fat before you add the flour. Onion and mushroom gravy, yum.
Thank you, that is the best description of gravy from scratch I have ever read
Most ppl I know recommend using the instant stuff, but it all seems to have unwholesome ingredients.

New Threads

Top Bottom