• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Recent compliments

It was my birthday last week. Had a good birthday. My aunt gave me a card with a verse on it about how I was an important part of the family. Thought that was nice.

So I guess I'm a good listener? Or something?
Listening is so underrated. So well done.

thank you for scoring 12/10 on my self-conscious scale - I think I’m gunna head home now.
Yeah, some compliments aren't worth it when you're self-conscious. I'd rather they said nothing.

I've had people tell me I was good at giving gifts, and that's not a generic compliment so I believe them.
That's a great compliment. I'm terrible at gifts and combined with my concern about us all buying too much, environmental concerns, being on a low budget...well, I don't buy that many gifts. People probably think I'm horrid and cheap. When I see something that inspires me or I feel sure about (whether I'm right or not) I go for it though and I don't worry if it's birthday time or not.

lady wolf spider who was huge (like 2 inch leg span)
I had to laugh at this. Is a two inch leg span really...huge @Tom :p Or where you referring to the body size, in which case I'll let you have it.

I had to laugh at this. Is a two inch leg span really...huge @Tom :p Or where you referring to the body size, in which case I'll let you have it.

No, its just leg span. This is one, about the size they get, or a little bigger. Big enough for me! lol

spider.jpg

Yeah, some compliments aren't worth it when you're self-conscious. I'd rather they said nothing.

That's a great compliment. I'm terrible at gifts and combined with my concern about us all buying too much, environmental concerns, being on a low budget...well, I don't buy that many gifts. People probably think I'm horrid and cheap. When I see something that inspires me or I feel sure about (whether I'm right or not) I go for it though and I don't worry if it's birthday time or not.

Ah, ok. I thought 'this is probably a person from one of those places where they have really huge beasts.' And it is so. So I fished out an old shapshot I took of my wife, right before I jumped in and saved her from the Lesser House Spider that moved into our garage down in South Carolina.

854c69ae4372677197a42536238bcb59.jpg

No, its just leg span. This is one, about the size they get, or a little bigger. Big enough for me! lol

View attachment 57120
Your spider's got beautiful markings. But yeah, that's the size I see where...I'm not happy about it being near me already...but the main reason he's got to move is because before you know it he'll be like....
iu

That's a huntsman btw. The name makes them sound scarier than they are, I think. Mum likes them at her place. I would love to be like that but I just can't. :(
Sometimes you can catch them in tupperware but you've got to be real quick.

My daughter called me once asking what kind of spider she seen so I asked her to describe it. She said it was red and scary.

View attachment 57120
Your spider's got beautiful markings. But yeah, that's the size I see where...I'm not happy about it being near me already...but the main reason he's got to move is because before you know it he'll be like....
iu

That's a huntsman btw. The name makes them sound scarier than they are, I think. Mum likes them at her place. I would love to be like that but I just can't. :(
Sometimes you can catch them in tupperware but you've got to be real quick.
Any size spider freaks me right the heck on out. I ain't going near a spider, let alone a huntsman.

Not just underrated. Actively lambasted. I felt weird taking that compliment, because I kept hearing the voices of a thousand Internet moralisers screeching, "'being a good listener' is NOT a virtue!!! It just means that you're sitting there like a lump and contributing nothing!!! If you want to be worth something, you have to run around and scream and wave your hands in the air like a proper person!!!!"

This is a problem for me, since not only do I feel like I'm at my best when I'm being quiet and still, but apparently that's also when I am (somehow) the most useful to other people.

Thank you! This thread originally about compliments got derailed onto a thread about spiders! Thanks for returning to the original point. By the way, I like your photo!
That often seems to happen on there. :/

'being a good listener' is NOT a virtue!!! It just means that you're sitting there like a lump and contributing nothing!!! If you want to be worth something, you have to run around and scream and wave your hands in the air like a proper person!
I don't agree with that but I think I understand what you're trying to say regarding online life.

This is a problem for me, since not only do I feel like I'm at my best when I'm being quiet and still, but apparently that's also when I am (somehow) the most useful to other people.
We need people of all types. Gentle, forward, energetic, calm.

New Threads

Top Bottom