• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Recent compliments

GadAbout

I received a couple of nice compliments recently, entirely unexpected. When I got my hair cut radically shorter of course a few people noticed and complimented me on it but you sort of expect that, and they will say it even if they don't really like the style, so I don't think it means much. But a couple of compliments that seemed less shallow came at me in the past month and I will accept them!

My therapist, who I have seen about 10 times, said she was impressed by my resourcefulness. I'll take it!

My chore helper, who has worked with me for about a month, said I was a good communicator. I'll take that one, too!

What compliments have you had lately - and how would you rate them? Sincere, insincere, insightful, empty, back-handed (an insult in compliment's clothing), etc.

A friend of mine often tells me I'm a genius, and he's saying it sincerely and literally.

Meanwhile, I thought the air-conditioning in my new car wasn't working so I took it in to get fixed. After an hour of waiting, a mechanic called me over to show me how to turn it on.

A relative recently showed me some old photos of myself and said they were cute.
I noted it because usually they speak of me in terms of my being odd, funny, weird.

@ZebraAspie that is really cool. Good for you.

A relative recently showed me some old photos of myself and said they were cute.
I noted it because usually they speak of me in terms of my being odd, funny, weird.

@ZebraAspie that is really cool. Good for you.
you are blessed its slightly !one up from !oh its her !from my mothers mother ,I felt like the embodiment of evil itself .

My grandmother, who was a teacher before she gave it up to get married, had a knack for saying something kind to everyone. One time she observed me swimming in her swimming pool, and she told me I had a strong stroke. What?? I mean I never swam competitively, was never on swim team, just learned how to swim in junior high phys ed. Even now, 50 years later, when I swim laps for exercise, I remember her kind words.

My therapy group told me I’m kind, friendly and a good listener. When I left they also said I was responsible for the happy atmosphere in the group.

The biggest compliment I ever received was from someone who thought I was intelligent because I was not a slave to fashion as most women my age were, because I showed independent critical thinking.

Most of the compliments I get I consider shallow and hollow.
They're mainly about my looks.
People are always telling me how much they like the colour of my hair.
Or how they can't believe I am as old as what I am.
Then they want to know how I get my hair that colour, what do I do to it.
And what is my secret for looking younger than my age.

Those are ego perks, but, hold no true value.

Well, a while back a long-time friend told me that "you have no idea what a source of stability you've been in my life." Which is, like... wow. I'm happy to be of service? I mean, I have no freaking clue what I have been doing, but I'm glad it's working?

Similarly, another friend told me that whenever she talks to me about a problem, it always ends up magically making sense. So I guess I'm a good listener? Or something?

I get a lot of compliments about my appearance, particularly at my boring day-job work where people are generally quite shallow and materialistic. Last christmas party, someone came up to me and said...
“Dave; so far, this evening 3 different people on 3 different occasions have come up to me and commented on your bum”
Brilliant, thank you for scoring 12/10 on my self-conscious scale - I think I’m gunna head home now.

From people who really know me, I get compliments on my caring personality and humility. Thats nice to receive - and I always give a polite but humble thank-you even if I am burning-up inside that I have been noticed in some way.

I get a lot of compliments about my appearance, particularly at my boring day-job work where people are generally quite shallow and materialistic. Last christmas party, someone came up to me and said...
“Dave; so far, this evening 3 different people on 3 different occasions have come up to me and commented on your bum”
Brilliant, thank you for scoring 12/10 on my self-conscious scale - I think I’m gunna head home now.

From people who really know me, I get compliments on my caring personality and humility. Thats nice to receive - and I always give a polite but humble thank-you even if I am burning-up inside that I have been noticed in some way.

Wow! You go to Christmas parties? I never did go to parties with co-workers or anyone else. The closest thing that I do to a party, is family gatherings. Or when my wife makes me put on a monkey suit and follow her around.

The only compliments I get are from my wife or other family members. Nobody wants to talk to a grumpy, old man. Unless you include "That weird, old, smart guy."

I've had people tell me I was good at giving gifts, and that's not a generic compliment so I believe them. Yesterday I gave my 3 year old grandson a wooden cigar box that I had and had pour painted the lid and it looked really cool. So I put a pretty rock in it that I had. I gave it to him and told him it was a rock box, to keep pretty rocks that he finds in. He carried it around showing everyone the box and the rock. I didn't know it before, but apparently he loves rocks. But then, what 3 year old doesn't.
ANyhow, there are generic compliments - "you look nice", "like your haircut", etc - but I think the non-generic ones are probably more believable.

I easily sympathize with animals and such. Like this week I asked my wife not to disturb Roscoe, a spider that has taken up residence near my desk in the basement, if she vacuums. So she often says I have a good heart.

I easily sympathize with animals and such. Like this week I asked my wife not to disturb Roscoe, a spider that has taken up residence near my desk in the basement, if she vacuums. So she often says I have a good heart.
I have a spider called spider it came out and sat at the top of the cat tree ,Sat there for a small amount of time then went back in again, thankfully gizmo didn’t get it ,he got the mouse ,I so wanted the Mouse to live , it was so cute and so small.

I had a spider called Boris live on the outside of my window for a few weeks, until an autumn storm blew him away. Poor Boris.

I am not great at taking compliments , I am never quite sure if people are being honest or just being “human” and humanizing me.

The last two were that my haircut looked good and that my cooking was great... I already know my cooking is great , so I just said “thanks,” but I am not sure I felt it... just that “thanks” is an automatic response without a change in my facial features.

I had a spider called Boris live on the outside of my window for a few weeks, until an autumn storm blew him away. Poor Boris.

There is a chance he made it and is in OZ now. ;) I had another friendly lady wolf spider who was huge (like 2 inch leg span) and lived next to the washer. She had an egg cocoon and I waited till they the hatched and fledged away from the nest before cleaning up the web. My wife would not have liked that. :D But they are quite relaxed around people and are like patroling armed security guards and help prevent ants, fleas, ticks, mosquitos from taking up residence. In the woods here from tiny to big, everything tries to get in.

New Threads

Top Bottom