• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Reading the Bible. It's hard.

@Starfire thats a great idea. Never thought of audiobook. I will have to see about that.

You’re welcome, I just had a quick look and it’s available as an app and lots of other formats. I’ve just tested this one MP3 Audio Bible
and it works fine.

By the way sorry I got you and @DaRKMsOul18 mixed up, it’s the yellow profile pics, they both looked the same to my ancient and bespectacled eyes.

Last edited:
All 3 of you are late to the party, I decided not to give up.

I will never give up on God.

But, I must lower my expectations, I can't just expect to understand everything.

I have recently, a few weeks ago, accepted Jesus into my heart. Now I must read the Bible, starting with the Gospel of Mark.

Congratulations on accepting Jesus unto your heart!!!:)

But, I must lower my expectations, I can't just expect to understand everything.

"5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5-6, NIV.

I tried several times to read the bible and gave up and then, one day, I received a book and it was an explaination about the bible ie 66 books. At first, I did not want to know, but eventually, I did pick it up - and did not put it down til I had finished. I was GOBSMACKED. Because, for years, I had questions that I received no answers too and here, in this book, answered all those questions and more besides, from the bible and now, several year's later, I read a chapter per day and unlike any other book reading, there is always something to understand.

For me, reading from Genesis had to be the deal, because the "New Testament" talks a lot about the "Old Testament" and thus, to gain a greater understanding, one has to read the history that preceeds the action.

The Bible was written entirely by various human beings at a time of extreme superstition and yet it's treated almost like a God wrote it, it's also been altered so many times over the centuries and many things will have been lost in translations while sometimes making it easier for the current people to understand, although every time it's altered part of the original meaning is lost. I also believe that many of the stories were just that "stories" that had morals and meanings, E.g. the story of Noah's Ark, I very much doubt many of them were ever meant to be taken literally. Much of the Bible also contradicts itself in different books, for instance "thou shalt not kill" is supposed to be one of the most important of the 10 commandments, but it's perfectly okay for God to mass murder people if you truly took the story of Noah literally with the flood and what does that say about forgiveness that is also preached in the Bible?

Some of the Bible that is barely ever preached is actually an ancient law book that for instance lays out compensation owned for the loss of an animal that's stolen, obviously this is extremely outdated to say the very least, but people still see everything that is written in the Bible as something that must be followed, E.g. the ultimate truth. Please see Bible Gateway passage: Exodus 22 - Good News Translation for more. It's very sexist with the word "he" with an important exception. What about "“Put to death any woman who practices magic."? This is why women were tried and killed (in my opinion murdered in terrible ways) for allegedly practising witchcraft and why just women, it's extremely sexist to say the least, but the witch hunters were only following the word of the Bible and therefore must have being doing good and God's work? If this was still followed Spiritualism would still also be illegal under The Witchcraft Act in Britain as it used to be not even that long ago. This is just one example of how the indoctrination of religion can become extremely dangerous and again this totally contradicts "thou shalt not kill", these types of things are just a few of the Bible's many flaws, there's a few similar examples where the punishment is also death. The following is to make people respect and follow people high in power and there's no talk of exceptions, "Do not speak evil of God, and do not curse a leader of your people.", so in that case no-one should have spoken against King Herod or the leaders that allegedly put Jesus to death because they were the leaders of the people too? I could talk about Bible contradictions for ages.

God did write it.

Reminder:

The Religious Forum area is a place to discuss religious topics
without debate, preaching, or condescension.

I keep mine where I sit and eat meals. I also have a study type bible with lots of notes and explanations at the bottom. The notes help a lot with difficult or obscure passages. But there are some hard passages even the study bibles shrug and say 'we don't know what this means really'. Or at least the honest ones do. One day we will find out.

It is hard for me, too, because one of my abusers was a person of the cloth so it's very very hard.

New Threads

Top Bottom