• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stuttermabolur

Wondering...
V.I.P Member
When I join an online community I mostly tend to lurk, and this one is no exception. Something I have noticed is that if I start reading a thread I read every single post in it, even if there have been hundreds. Especially if I intend to post something in it, as I would feel uncomfortable repeating a point someone else said and want as much context as possible for my input.

I also joined Discord at the behest of someone and follow exactly one active channel. Since there is only one main "thread" regularly being used, I have read literally every message someone has posted there for the last 3 years (since I joined), and on some days they reach over 1000. I also used to read Cracked.com for years, and for most of that time I read every single article posted no matter the subject matter.

How many other people here also deal with this "completionist mindset" when it comes to online reading? Any tips? It might seem nice, but I actually end up wasting a ton of time reading stuff I don't care about at all instead of doing something more fun or useful.

I do relate not exactly to what you said, with regards to reading every post, but I do relate in some way as I need to re-read and understand the context of every word in certain posts. I will analyze each and every word of certain intriguing posts, and re-read it again to make sure I understand completely everything they said, regardless how relevant to the main points they'd make, so as I could choose to either support their main position(s), or instead decide to argue nicely or constructively against such. I want to make sure I am not missing something important they said, or so as I do not take a certain word or passage they said out of context.

The reasons I do this is because I was taught each and every word uttered by voice was important, as one missing word or added word spoken could change the entire meaning of how our parents interpreted what we said, as growing up we were often punished severely if we said the wrong thing, did not say the exact right things, or if we were misunderstood. As well, I was very shy and brief speaking growing up, and I uttered a few words to all at most, for each and every question or comment others made, as it was hard for me to concentrate and because of self-consciousness and fears there, so I had to get my points out quickly and clearly, without fluff, and with relevance.

So, when I read others' posts, I want to make sure I do not misinterpret what they said, and I want to be thorough and understand everything until I am ready to reply. Because of being comprehensive in reading and replying to others' writing, I rarely will be able to read all longer posts, as then I'd feel a need to reply to all as my mind would shift into gear to comment there or with desire to support. Also, not necessarily with regards to those with Autism, as they "may" tend to be more factual and truly believe what they say, but for others especially, I have noticed I do not assume they are telling the truth by what they say. So, in this regard, I want to make sure each word is read or heard, to see if I can find inconsistencies there.

I think I obsess too much about reading and writing in a comprehensive way also because of my love for details, regardless if small, medium or big. Whether this is a trait of any Autism I have which is suspected, some ocd tendencies, or perfectionism, I just know I get stress skipping over any words, even if they seem trivial to most. I need to organize all the points others made in my head by relevance or topic, to know how I'd like to reply, as being comprehensive and meticulous there reduces my anxieties to know what to say first, and to determine how I want to say it, whether in a nicer, more neutral or more assertive/constructive way, including whether I see replying to their smaller points as important.

When I join an online community I mostly tend to lurk, and this one is no exception. Something I have noticed is that if I start reading a thread I read every single post in it, even if there have been hundreds. Especially if I intend to post something in it, as I would feel uncomfortable repeating a point someone else said and want as much context as possible for my input.

So why do you feel uncomfortable repeating a point?

If you read all post to not feel bad about missing something it is not a waste of time for you, but an investment done so you dont feel bad.

So why do you feel uncomfortable repeating a point?

I dislike redundancies. I also don't like it when multiple people say the same thing to me, and in general, I have grown tired of talking points or opinions that a lot of people (or even the majority) have but are presented as some new idea. "Am I the only one who [very popular opinion]??" messages make me inwardly groan.

I am a news addict and often read opinion pieces with comment sections and I really hate it when people respond to the title so to speak, but not to any of the arguments present in the piece. I feel like it is disrespectful towards the people who pen them to not even engage with them, especially if you are also insulting them. I read every article to the end without exception, and I really have a hard time getting people who skip "boring" passages in books. That just seems insane. I think for me, I really don't want to miss something as it could be important context for what comes later, or it could be a great piece of writing in its own right, but there's no way for me to know unless I read it.

If you read all post to not feel bad about missing something it is not a waste of time for you, but an investment done so you dont feel bad.

That's a good way of looking at this, I hadn't really thought about it this way. I still think I can go a bit overboard though, and when I stop reading something obsessively, I tend to immediately lose interest, since I "broke my streak".

Sounds like a bad case of FOMO, as well as OCD.

Maybe you can identify some of the thoughts that lead to this behavior such as like you said, "I may miss out on something." You've been doing this for a while so you have a lot of data. How often, when you've gone through an excessive amount of information, did you learn something you felt was important?

Another question can be, "What would happen if you did miss out?" What would be the consequences of that?

If you are thinking about doing this less, you may want to stand back a bit more, as you are tending to justify yourself about it here.

It sounds onerous and unnecessary to me, you can read all of some things but skim others, I think. Also, skipping stuff especially when you know the person constantly posts similar posts or does go on a bit. Not to be disrespectful, but they may have gradually convinced me of that.

I do skip boring bits in books, also nasty stuff if it's repetitive and vile, like in Game of Thrones. He's such a great writer, but I really have difficulty enjoying that series of books as it's so laden with injuries and the poor women can't step out of the door without getting attacked. It's such a vile society I just don't want to read details about how they treat each other. I wouldnt care if the dragons incinerate them all really. Hence I have abandoned reading it at this point. Some amazing characters and world building though.

Some stuff is fine to skim or skip, I think. However, here I would definitely read the original post carefully and any other's by the OP before responding.

I tend to read everything in a thread that I find is of interest.
Others I may skim.

If I start reading a thread I know there is nothing in the OP that I know anything about or
would have nothing to contribute to, I skim or skip.
Examples could be computer technology, coding, programing or Video Gaming in detail.
Not that such threads will not be of interest to others. I just have no knowledge of the subject matter.

But, if I start reading threads of interest, I do read the posts carefully and completely.
I don't want to misinterpret what is presented either if I decide to post.
As far as repeating what others have said, to me that is useful and shows the OP that others
may feel the same and offer the same advice. This reinforces points to consider when you see
multiple replies that are much the same vs only one idea.
Of course that one reply just might be the one that strikes an idea in you.

Sounds like a bad case of FOMO, as well as OCD.

Maybe you can identify some of the thoughts that lead to this behavior such as like you said, "I may miss out on something." You've been doing this for a while so you have a lot of data. How often, when you've gone through an excessive amount of information, did you learn something you felt was important?

Another question can be, "What would happen if you did miss out?" What would be the consequences of that?
what's FOMO?

Maybe you just enjoy reading. I always told people I hate to read, but I realized I just hated reading fiction. I can\t keep up with the characters for one thing. But I read constantly - everything from cereal boxes and labels to signs when driving down the road. And I definitely understand once you break the chain, not going back to it. I'm that way with most things - not just reading.
Reading is good - you obtain knowledge and ideas. My 9 year old grandson loves reading and gathering information. He uses all these big scientific words and it's amazing.

Maybe you just enjoy reading.

You know, I think that might be exactly it. I tend to read everything around me, including messages when I am visiting people and stuff on packages when out shopping. I frequent news sites with some sort of comment section, and I read all the top comments as well as some staff picks. I think that might partly be because I am fascinated by people, their experiences and opinions.

I have enjoyed fiction since I was a kid, but I'm not limited by it and read all sorts of books, both classics, contemporary works and historical or educational novels (as well as scientific journals). Recently I have also gotten into graphic novels as I enjoy the artistry and it takes shorter time to read. Thank you for your opinion, I always like getting a different viewpoint on my behaviour.

New Threads

Top Bottom