• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Quick question: Handwriting

3October2022

I was wondering if anyone with autism has good handwriting, as I’m confused about why I’ve always been complimented on it despite the stereotype of autistic people having bad handwriting.

So the question I wished to ask is, and I know this is a stupid one, but could this mean I was potentially misdiagnosed, and the second being that as good handwriting typically means good fine motor skills, does this mean I can have talents in other areas, like sport etc.

Any response would be greatly appreciated, and to all, have a wonderful day. Thank you.

ASD2 here. As a small child I had superb copperplate handwriting just like my mother, when I got to highschool we were told that we didn't have to write in cursive any more and then I switched to just writing in all caps as many people do.

I always seriously hated writing, my hand used to cramp up and it took me forever. Then along came computers and keyboards and now I love writing.

My handwriting was awful when I was a teenager. With age it has improved though is still inconsistent especially my signature.

We are human and that means diverse; stereotypes are quite often based on too smaller sample so you get odd results.

Yeah, that's definitely a stereotype.

I was always convinced that I had bad handwriting because I didn't write like the other kids in my school, but I started getting compliments on my handwriting as an adult. I've been told that my handwriting looks "European."

My cursive is illegible though and my signature looks pretty bad.

I did fit the stereotype, but around 13/14 I worked hard to write slower and more carefully, and my writing looked better after that.

I actually have good handwriting. When I was a kid, everyone had to learn loop font in primary school. And that stuck with me and after using it for a long time it is more refined. But I also write in all caps if I write things like shopping lists and unimportant stuff.

I don't think your handwriting means you were potentially misdiagnosed. And I don't think handwriting says much about talents in sports for example, but I don't know for sure.
'
1665396771399.png

My hand writing is pretty good, some say it looks printed. As a child i got often quickly angry, sad and started ripping pages out, if something wasnt right, the writing looked bad or i had made too much mistakes. It got better wiht age, but i still struggle wiht it sometimes.
I also sometimes made writing into little beauty contests between each letter.
I can now quite quickly write good,but that also developed over time.
My favorit writing tool is a 2000 pelikano fountain pen. As a child it was for a long time a pink pelikano roller ball, i found in a bush and fixed up myself.

I have never heard of that trait.
My printing is fine.
I do not use cursive very often.

Last edited:
Sadly, can't say I have good handing writing, because in fact, it is the opposite.

I can write fairly neat at first, but it soon looks like a child writing and I would need a lined paper to write on, since I cannot write in a straight line.

As a child, I was often told off, for not separating my words. I am much better, but do find myself lapsing and so happy for that eraser lol

However, that has never come on, in the assessment for being on the spectrum. Not once, did they mention my writing etc and I had to go through intense tests.

I do not have a monotoned voice nor bland features. I am incredably aminated and told that I would do great in theatre.

I learned a statement on here: meet one aspie - you meet one aspie.

Forest Cat, I’d love to be able to write like that! :):):)

My cursive is elegant, but with arthritis, I rarely write by hand.

I've used a computer and typed everything for so long that my handwriting looks like a first grader's. Sometimes I struggle to read my own handwritten grocery list.

I went into kindergarten writing in copperplate cursive. My Grandma taught me how because I had always loved her handwriting.

My printing is concise, but I draft a couple times on scratch paper if this is something someone else will be reading. (Writer's habit).

My sister who is an NT has never had legible handwriting or printing.

that was printing I no longer write cursive, rather print write common with people with engineering backgrounds my nephew is an Aspie, and also a very gifted athlete, so not mutually exclusive.

My handwriting is terrible. I try to limit it to my signature. Though my printing is quite good.

I've been told I have good handwriting even though I shouldn't because I'm left-handed. I guess I shouldn't be able to chew and swallow my own food without assistance because I'm left-handed, either.

Seriously, humans go on about how wrongly and horribly people are treated because of their race, their gender, and their s*xual preferences, and how every words and phrases should be erased from the English language, but we never hear about how badly and wrongly we left-handed people have been treated. We're more tolerated now, at least in most western countries, but I never hear people say it's wrong to just say the word "right" to mean something correct or positive because it discriminates us sinister folk. Go figure.

My hand writing is always what I want it to be. If the intent is to be neat and pretty, then I can spend the time to make it so. Typically, however when I write things for myself, I don't bother and it is usually readable only by me.
I guess I could call that a security feature. ;)

They used to call me Human Typewriter in school. Still occasionally get complimented on my handwriting. And I'm left-handed as well.

Course now it's not consistently that great anymore with being too rushed in life.

New Threads

Top Bottom