• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Quick comebacks for autism jokes

Horsegirl

I think we've all heard the
"That's so autistic!"
Joke. Or at least I have. Too many times. I'm so sick of it, I want a couple good comebacks. Just something short and sweet that I can say next time.
Any ideas?

I think we've all heard the
"That's so autistic!"
Joke. Or at least I have. Too many times. I'm so sick of it, I want a couple good comebacks. Just something short and sweet that I can say next time.
Any ideas?
Unless you are looking to draw attention towards yourself and invite drama, I would suggest that you just ignore it and chalk it up to ignorance on their behalf ;)

Response: They say people who overuse the phrase "That's so autistic!" have a fear that they are autistic themselves.

Are you autistic [insert persons name] ?

End.

If the person has a big ego and they look down on autists the line of thinking would something like. "Oh no, what if people start seeing me as autistic?" Then they'll start to say it less and less, providing they believe you. If the person asks who "they" are say you read it on an article in psychologytoday.

If the person really does start thinking they might be autistic, and the phrase happens to be a subconscious slip of the tongue this may prompt them to pay more conscious attention when they say it. It would be a constant reminder every time they say it clawing away in the back of their mind so there would be conscious effort to stop using the phrase if it's something they don't want to face.

If all else fails use repetition. The next time they say
"That's so autistic!"
Say, you are autistic aren't you [insert name] ?

The time after that respond with something like "you know... you can talk to me if you want... i won't tell anyone. Autism is pretty common nowadays"

Why use comebacks and one liners when you can stop the use of the phrase dead in it's tracks? ;)

I’ve never encountered jokes about how autistic things are.
I have had coworkers joke about how my behavior was rather autistic, to which I simply replied with “yup”.

I've never heard that expression used in just everyday life, but, I can probably understand where it comes from... As mental health issues are brought more into the spotlight, a lot of things are being 'cheapened' into a joke. People exclaim "I'm so bipolar!" when their mood shifts a little, or "I have OCD!" when they need to straighten a shelf in a shop just for funsies. This has become the norm as people misunderstand that these are real conditions that people suffer from and wish they didn't have.
You have one of two options: ignore it, or bring forward understanding that it's not ok to use these terms in such a way. I'm not sure I can offer a rebuttal in form of a joke as I'd probably get upset when someone misuses these terms in such a flippant way. It's just plain ignorant.

Sometimes snappy comebacks are all we have.

Here are some from various places on the net:

I fall outside your exceptionally narrow view of the world.
Thanks! Normal is boring.
You're only just noticing this about me now?
Looks like we have something in common then.

Yeah, and you're so ordinary.
I love the sound you make when you shut up.
"Sorry, what was your name again?"
:)

Last edited:
I've never heard that said either - from others. Before my soul mate dog (Honey) died and after my new diagnosis of autism I would call her an aspie. I think it was because she was sooooo like me in so many ways - all funny. She hated vegetables. Anything with vegetables in it, she wouldn't touch. Me, too. I mah-podged my steps with different patterns and she did not like it. She had certain colors she liked - dark reds. I had a super soft blanket and gave it to a niece because she liked it. I replaced it and ended up giving that one away - repeat a few more times. Then I brought a new one in and Honey loved it, so she got that one. She wasn't a cuddler but would bring me one of her toys or place her paw on my hand if I was sick. So many characteristics I often found myself laughing and saying, "You're such an aspie", but meant it in a good way - meant it as in 'you're so like me'. Oh, I miss her sooo much. She was my best friend and companion and I grieved over her more than I grieved over my own mom. (sorry - got sidetracked)
Anyhow - it's probably just a new thing and nothing is really meant by it. But if it bothers you, maybe you should just ask how they know that. Bet they won't be able to answer and will stop saying it.

I personally view in some context autistic can be used as a non deregatory describtion of doing things.

You will probably be called autistic even more if you decide to make combacks

Unless you are looking to draw attention towards yourself and invite drama, I would suggest that you just ignore it and chalk it up to ignorance on their behalf ;)

This.

First and foremost because of the "ignorance" factor. Odds are that in any confrontation with NTs over such a thing, they aren't likely to know much of anything at all regarding autism to begin with. Unless a Neurotypical has previously come into direct contact with someone who is Neurodiverse, there's really no reason compelling them to even make an effort at understanding who- and what we are.

If we really are a statistical two-percent social minority, there's no point in saying much of anything beyond acknowledging that yes, you are autistic. Which may or may not be awkward to them, in reminding them that we are real people with real feelings.

Anything beyond that, there's simply no point in bothering. Unless you crave that "drama", which may amount to little more than inviting predatory behavior on their part. To attack and persecute what they don't understand.

Last edited:
I've heard it a LOT, which I wouldn't have mentioned if I didn't see how many people haven't heard it.

You could say, "dude, my little brother is autistic."

Whether or not you have a brother or an autistic brother is irrelevant.

If they know you well enough to know you don't, you can say, "Dude, c'mon, my dog is autistic. Boundaries..."

If they know you don't have a dog or know dogs can't be autistic (which they probably don't because they're obviously dumb) then you can come up with your own. ;)

I personally view in some context autistic can be used as a non deregatory describtion of doing things.

You will probably be called autistic even more if you decide to make combacks
I don't say anything unless somebody says it directly to me, in which case I dont want to stand there blabbing like an idiot. But I definitely see where you are coming from

This.

First and foremost because of the "ignorance" factor. Odds are that in any confrontation with NTs over such a thing, they aren't likely to know much of anything at all regarding autism to begin with. Unless a Neurotypical has previously come into direct contact with someone who is Neurodiverse, there's really no reason compelling them to even make an effort at understanding who- and what we are.

If we really are a statistical two-percent social minority, there's no point in saying much of anything beyond acknowledging that yes, you are autistic. Which may or may not be awkward to them, in reminding them that we are real people with real feelings.

Anything beyond that, there's simply no point in bothering. Unless you crave that "drama", which may amount to little more than inviting predatory behavior on their part. To attack and persecute what they don't understand.
No I don't "crave drama." I hate drama. But when somebody says something like this directly to me, I like to have a response ready instead of standing there like an idiot with my mouth hanging open.
But I see where you are coming from

Response: They say people who overuse the phrase "That's so autistic!" have a fear that they are autistic themselves.

End.

If the person has a big ego and they look down on autists the line of thinking would something like. "Oh no, what if people start seeing me as autistic?" Then they'll start to say it less and less, providing they believe you. If the person asks who "they" are say you read it on an article in psychologytoday.

If the person really does start thinking they might be autistic, and the phrase happens to be a subconscious slip of the tongue this may prompt them to pay more conscious attention when they say it. It would be a constant reminder every time they say it clawing away in the back of their mind so there would be conscious effort to stop using the phrase if it's something they don't want to face.

If all else fails use repetition. The next time they say
"That's so autistic!"
Say, you are autistic aren't you [insert name] ?

The time after that respond with something like "you know... you can talk to me if you want... i won't tell anyone. Autism is pretty common nowadays"

Why use comebacks and one liners when you can stop the use of the phrase dead in it's tracks? ;)
This is a really good idea! I never thought of this before, but it's a good idea.

No I don't "crave drama." I hate drama. But when somebody says something like this directly to me, I like to have a response ready instead of standing there like an idiot with my mouth hanging open.
But I see where you are coming from

It really depends on who you are dealing with. For some you can return a smart remark. For others you may have to "pay a toll" for doing so. Especially if they are complete strangers prone to predatory behavior. Where you won't know until it's already too late.

"Since when have you been qualified to diagnose a condition like autism?"
"Since when are you my psychiatrist?"

End.
Yes. or just say, "takes one to know one".

New Threads

Top Bottom