• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Questions

BubbaDoo75

My son was recently diagnosed with PDD-NOS. The psychologist said that they could not get enough documentation to fully diagnosed him because of how uncooperative he was. But able to at least get enough to know he is somewhere on the autistic spectrum but leaning towards higher functioning. My question is. What actually is PDD-NOS? Can you give examples? Ive read, researched but for some reason Autism seems to be the one I get confused with. Im assuming its because of how broad the spectrum is. If you can help thank you.

the basic difference to do with PDDNOS is that the person does not qualify enough criteria for classic autism or aspergers-but is likely somewhere in between.
they add the NOS title to a lot of conditions when they cant quite fit a diagnosis.

You kinda answered your own question. The 'NOS' is a miscellaneous catch all and means the psych doesn't know where he fits on the Autism spectrum. At least, that's my skeptical view.
It sounds like it might be worth reading up on Aspergers. If you can, read Tony Attwood's 'The complete guide to Aspergers', and judge for yourself if he fits.

Yep, the doctor knows he's on the autistic spectrum but they're not sure just where. This group of people are in a blurring in the middle of the spectrum really and they bleed out on to the higher and lower parts. They probably needing a fair bit of support on some level.

New Threads

Top Bottom