• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Question if there an online self-test to determine if I need to go to mental hospital

Mental hospitals are the places of nightmares and they treat you like garbage. I was put in there before, during and after my diagnoses in 2000-2001, and it was one of the worst experiences of my entire life.

Psychiatry is still in its infancy and has ruined many people's lives. First it was locking people up for things such as "female hysteria", i.e. talking back to your husband, and having ice cold water thrown on you to "shock" you out of your illness while lying on filthy soiled bed sheets. Then it was giving people lobotomies that gave them severe brain damage or turned them into a vegetable. And THEN it was diagnosing homosexuality as a mental illness and claiming all gay men were pedophiles. And let's not forget that autism was once blamed on "refrigerator mothers".

The stigma of mental illness will never die, nothing has changed. Except that now many people who are mentally ill aren't locked up in insane asylums and treated worse than animals. Now they're homeless and begging on the street because they don't get any kind of help at all. What a stupid world.

Mental hospitals are the places of nightmares and they treat you like garbage. I was put in there before, during and after my diagnoses in 2000-2001, and it was one of the worst experiences of my entire life.

Psychiatry is still in its infancy and has ruined many people's lives. First it was locking people up for things such as "female hysteria", i.e. talking back to your husband, and having ice cold water thrown on you to "shock" you out of your illness while lying on filthy soiled bed sheets. Then it was giving people lobotomies that gave them severe brain damage or turned them into a vegetable. And THEN it was diagnosing homosexuality as a mental illness and claiming all gay men were pedophiles. And let's not forget that autism was once blamed on "refrigerator mothers".

The stigma of mental illness will never die, nothing has changed. Except that now many people who are mentally ill aren't locked up in insane asylums and treated worse than animals. Now they're homeless and begging on the street because they don't get any kind of help at all. What a stupid world.

It's 2022 though, aren't most mental hospitals more humane now?

It's 2022 though, aren't most mental hospitals more humane now?
The inpatient mental health clinics I’ve had experiences with are just fine. I mean, from time to time there are people that are confined there against their will (which is very rare in my country, because it takes a lot of proof and a judge and the mayor have to sign off on it). There’s a lot of unhappy people, but that’s to be expected in a mental health clinic. Anyway, my experiences have been good. Patients had nice rooms, lots of activities, and depending on their prognosis they were prepared for return to living by themselves and coping alone.

I worked as a medical intern in a few facilities. My favorite was a property for elderly people with mental health issues. It was in a big, beautiful park with a small petting zoo on the premises. Lots of bunnies hopping around freely in the park too. The view was great, the rooms were very bright and the area was great for walks. I used to do a lot of patient interviews outside on a relaxed walk, (either pushing them around in their wheelchair or interlinking arms for balance support) for a more relaxed atmosphere as they told me about their biographical events. There was a small grocery store on the premises where patients could shop, just to help them regain confidence or a sense of autonomy before returning home.

New Threads

Top Bottom