• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

question for those with trouble with being distracted

Oh, yeah, if its ADHD then anything that's at all challenging without being fun will be dismissed very quickly. Does he ever express rage?
Sounds like me even though i never been diagnosed with ADHD and i am 35yo

Anyhow i dont quite get it he cannot finish sentences means exactly what, can he talk normally at home?

Sounds like me even though i never been diagnosed with ADHD and i am 35yo

Anyhow i dont quite get it he cannot finish sentences means exactly what, can he talk normally at home?

I believe she is referring to writing information, not speaking.

That brings up a good point though. How is his attention elsewhere? Is the problem confined to school?

Last edited:
I had the same problem as a child. Of course, they didn't know much about Asperger's Syndrome back then and there were no special teachers. I day dreamed a lot back then. One thing you might want him to do is bring his work home every night and have someone go over it with him again. He will outgrow the day dreams, but in the meantime, if he is bored or having problems understanding what is being taught, then it is important for him to have his lessons reinforced. Sometimes it is hard for a child to understand things like mathematics because it is theory and they cannot see it. Teachers don't have time to spend with slower students. So if his mother could sit down with him and try to explain the concept of a problem using visual means, I think he will be much more focused.

As some have suggested, he may have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. He may also have learning disabilities. I have them. The sooner he sees someone, the better. He is still young, but this is the stage where kids develop skills for learning.

I believe she is referring to writing information, not speaking.

That brings up a good point though. How is his attention elsewhere? Is the problem confined to school?

Actually I do mean not finishing a sentence in speaking. Have you ever started saying something and lose your train of thought so you can't finish the sentence?
His school assignments end up being sent home because they're pretty close to blank.
His attention is better at home (not great, but better).

Today was good. My daughter in law and I went to Kville to meet up with this daughter (and her family) and my other daughter and her family. My daughter in law got the opportunity to talk about the ADHD meds to my daughter and her husband together and what a difference it made for one of her sons and they were able to ask her questions about it and stuff. That seemed to be very helpful hearing some first hand experiences with what the med does and doesn't do. Helpful.

My grandson is in first grade and not doing too well. He keeps being disciplined (not physically) because he's always distracted. Teacher says he knows the information but he can't stay focused even long enough to finish a sentence.

He hasn't been diagnosed - son in law refused to discuss it, but maybe he's beginning to see that maybe they need to. I told my daughter that this is not something she can handle herself or fix herself and also that it was not a disciplinary problem.
I know he's going to need some extra help with this kind of thing and my daughter agrees. She plans on discussing it at his next Doctor appointment coming up soon. But my question is for some ideas of what helps you stay focused.

I hardly remember first grade, except the teacher constantly having me at her desk trying to teach me the sounds of the alphabet - which, I'm sure is the one that recommended speech therapy so I would learn to talk. Anyway, through school, I daydreamed all the time, but it wasn't a problem. Sure there were notes on my report cards about not paying attention, not participating, etc, but that's as far as it went and nothing was ever done. But autism wasn't a thing. Now it's known about and kids can actually be helped and my grandson needs help. Any personal suggestions for helping him learn to keep his thoughts on track?
Hi there :) It is very very difficult this what you are discussing and I know I have been there with my own son...back then there was little education on autism and I had no idea my son had it so to speak now years on I am much better educated on the subject.It is very difficult as once you get a child diagnosed it realy rocks the whole family friends and community for the child as it can change the way his friends view him(sadly as not everyone these days is upt o speed with autism and may view him differently not want to play with him and adults can shy away etc etc etc) and this can be very upsetting for the child as his world will change and that is not something he needs as he needs his friends family routine to stay the same enjoying the same things for example.Also not only that he himself will have struggles within himself he may not understand and may have a tainted view of autism and not believe he has it or want to have it it can be very upsetting and shocking depending on the age of the child and his view of autism or what he knows of it etc. Also you have to concider who is going to tell him if you choose to do this ie becarefull authorities don't blunder in there and tell it at the worst moment as this is his life we are talking about.I am not saying don't do it and I had to do it myself with my son and it was horrendous the whole thing he has only just settled down about it after 7 years the authorieties that did the diagnosing were absoloutley useless I mean nice ladies but useless.In retrospect I would have had him diagnosed from a baby but sadly I did not know or spot the signs so I t was not until he was 17 he got dignosed.Also did you know that they can get it wrong when they are very young children and what if he is put throught the stigma of that for no reason? I think my advice to you would be if you are in a situation to do this (get private quality help with the diagnosis and counselling for whole family) if you can. if you can not then go by means vailable to you within the system to get the diagnosis but go very very gently and PRIOR to doing this it is VITAL that the child is properly educated on autism and understands he is a wonderfull human being that this world is lucky to have etc and not just left instead with an ignorant viewpoint of it like watching films etc and thinking oh god there saying I'm an idiot (you get my point).Also if he is diagnosed early on he and the family will be in a better position to get any financial help that may be needed to help the child to pay for extra or better education or any help needed.It will also open doors to other communitys and friends throught autism groups like this one for example...good luck..my answer is not one way or another but to make you think through carefully the ramifications of which ever way you go and let your decision be based on what is best for the child only and everyone else will have to take a back seat and suck it up.

Sorry I get very passionate about this as my sons life and his potential ruined as he wasn't diagnosed till 18 as all professionals doctors to incompetent to notice and he missed out on the chance which I now know he would have been entitled to go to a specific school where he would have got type of education he needs and extra help etc..instead he missed all his schooling due to being to overwhelmed by the schools etc and it making him physicaly ill to point I took him out and home school him.He is incredibly bright I mean realy intelligent what he knows and can do with mathematics you would not believe and gues what at school they took me aside and said .." we think he might be slow..a bit stupid"....I am going to explode I am so mad...just don't make same mistake...help this child get what he deserves from life and don't let all the adults around him ruin it for him if you are the only one with sense make it happen for him:)

Last edited:
Hi @tidal Thanks for your heart felt input. The things you mentioned are one of the reasons I do want him to get help now. He's in first grade and having problems and it'll get harder.
I'm one who believes most things happen for a reason. I knew nothing of autism - nothing. The most I knew about it was from "Rainman". lol At 59 something in my mind got me to look it up and then look up female autism and I realized that was me so I went and got an official diagnosis and talked to my kids - which 2 of them are certain they are also on the spectrum and they've all learned more about autism. All the others always knew there was something different about this grandson and after already learning about autism is already more understanding. So I think my learning about myself has made it easier for the family understanding my grandson.
I just talked to my daughter and she's trying to get his doctor appointment moved up sooner, it's next month, and if she can, she'd like to get him in this month. So I'm glad that his dad is becoming more receptive - before he'd not even discuss the possibility.

New Threads

Top Bottom